Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Rattle from back seat/trunk

blars

• 2 months later...

Larry:

I just joined this group and saw your post. The Sony amp mount design allows too much flexing of the amp, which causes an irritating "buzzing" or "twanging" sound. It's effectively causing an audible harmonic not unlike a tuning fork. I put a block of foam between the amp & fenderwell. Noise is gone.

Ford should issue a factory fix for this, as it appears to be a common problem.

• 2 months later...

My problem has finally been solved.  I took the trunk apart and bolstered the amplifier, removed trunk springs and on and on.  Nothing solved the anoying rattle.  I finally gave up.

At 52K miles I noticed one of my front tires was wearing and needed to be replaced.  Not wanting to replace just one, I replaced all 4.  Upon inspection I noticed the left rear tire was out of round due to uneven tread wear.  4 new tires and the rattle is gone, car rides smoother (quieter).  Very happy with the car again.

Problem was Me, I never rotated the tires and caused the uneven tread wear.  Spent a lot of time and frustration chasing a ghost that was never there.  The out of round tire was causing a harmonic vibration that caused something to rattle in the car (still think it was coming from the trunk area).

Ben

• 1 month later...

Guys,

I have 2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium.  I am experiencing the same noise from the rear dash area as well just like the "blars" guy.  Drove me nuts trying to figure it out for a whole month. Took everything out and padded everything and nothing worked.  I finally discovered the cause of the "Geiger counter noise" I opened the trunk and pressing down on the rubber seal on the top trunk lip.  It made that exact noise .........  it was the upper trunk lip rubber seal.  It needed to be lubricated with armor all.  When it dries out it rubs against itself and causes the noise as the car drives and the trunk floats up and down going over un-even roads.  I armor all the crap out of it and now the noise is gone.  SOOOO Happy!!!!!!  I hope this helps you!

Whenever it rained, the sound was gone because the water acted as a lubricant for the rubber seal so no noise.

Silencer!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Guys,

I have 2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium. I am experiencing the same noise from the rear dash area as well just like the "blars" guy. Drove me nuts trying to figure it out for a whole month. Took everything out and padded everything and nothing worked. I finally discovered the cause of the "Geiger counter noise" I opened the trunk and pressing down on the rubber seal on the top trunk lip. It made that exact noise ......... it was the upper trunk lip rubber seal. It needed to be lubricated with armor all. When it dries out it rubs against itself and causes the noise as the car drives and the trunk floats up and down going over un-even roads. I armor all the crap out of it and now the noise is gone. SOOOO Happy!!!!!! I hope this helps you!

Whenever it rained, the sound was gone because the water acted as a lubricant for the rubber seal so no noise.

Silencer!

Was having the same problem as everyone here. And this was exactly the solution! I just took ordinary armor all cleaning wipes, and greased down all of the rubber lining to the trunk, and it worked! I seriously was going crazy, because since ive owned my Fusion, never encountered this issue. Everyone who is having this issue, at least try this step to see if it makes a difference.

• 4 weeks later...

Was having the same problem as everyone here. And this was exactly the solution! I just took ordinary armor all cleaning wipes, and greased down all of the rubber lining to the trunk, and it worked! I seriously was going crazy, because since ive owned my Fusion, never encountered this issue. Everyone who is having this issue, at least try this step to see if it makes a difference.

I am having the exact same issue, and I tried using the armor all wipes on all the rubber seals in the trunk but that hasn't made any difference.

Perhaps I am missing something?

Any help would be hugely appreciated. This is driving me nuts.

I am having the exact same issue, and I tried using the armor all wipes on all the rubber seals in the trunk but that hasn't made any difference.

Perhaps I am missing something?

Any help would be hugely appreciated. This is driving me nuts.

Did you verify that the rubber separators on the trunk lid torsion bars are positioned so that the bars can't touch each other or the underside of the package shelf?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, new to the forum but I had been chasing around a trunk rattle for about a month with duct tape... turns out it's not the trunk, but the issue transfers to the trunk. The shock itself!! The shock was good, but the mast bolt was not tight by about a turn. Fixed it by removing the shock, cleaning the little dampening rubber and shock cap (not attached to the shock at all), and then reinstalling the shock. Quiet as death now. Just thought I would share my fix here. Requires a 15mm combo wrench, a set of channel locks, and about 30 minutes of your time. If the lower bolts are tight, you only need to loosen the mast, and force it compressed to remove the cap, you don't need to remove the entire shock. Crazy that it sounded like the trunk was going to fly off and there was nothing really wrong.

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys, I finally found the problem of this rattle (hope not only for my car). I was looking for this rattle more that half a year, tried different places, put somethings between the panels, seat, etc... But another day I found some disgusting dirt just inside of sealed rubber tuber below the rear window. So, when you close the trunk, using its weight it presses on the rubber tube, the tube shrinks flat and rubs against each other.

b1332_img1613809831_1477578559896.jpg

Check this image. After cleaning process, I applied some lubricant for silicon onto it. The sound disappeared completely.

Enjoy my solution. 

P.S. Don't touch speaker grids, belt holders, seats and side trim panels. There are no the sound! 100%

Have a great day to everyone!

Edited by i4uba

• 5 weeks later...

i should have checked the forum first.  YEP, it is this little weather strip/rubber piece just below the outside back glass.  What a weird thing.  I took out the panel covering the speakers, etc. glued down all the speaker clips, and finally stumbled upon the solution by tapping the seal down and hearing the haunting sound. I couldn't believe that sound could come from two pieces of rubber clicking together.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, I finally found the problem of this rattle (hope not only for my car). I was looking for this rattle more that half a year, tried different places, put somethings between the panels, seat, etc... But another day I found some disgusting dirt just inside of sealed rubber tuber below the rear window. So, when you close the trunk, using its weight it presses on the rubber tube, the tube shrinks flat and rubs against each other.

After cleaning process, I applied some lubricant for silicon onto it. The sound disappeared completely.

Enjoy my solution. 

P.S. Don't touch speaker grids, belt holders, seats and side trim panels. There are no the sound! 100%

Have a great day to everyone!

WOW! Thanks!

I had a clicking noise that occurred every time my vehicle ran over minor bumps. It was driving me crazy. I had people sit in the back seat area to try to find the source, to no avail.

I began to notice that the noise would go away for a bit when I ran the car through the car wash, as well as when it rained significantly. So I began to figure that it was coming from exterior areas of the vehicle. Upon seeing your post, I applied some lubricant to that seal and so far the noise has disappeared.

THANKS! I'm not sure I would have ever discovered this source of noise without your post.

• 1 year later...

GoGoGadgetFusion had the solution for my rattle noise, it was the shocks.  Took me ten minutes to fix.  I have a  2013 Fusion Hybrid with +70K miles.  The rattles started 3 months ago in the rear passenger side and then recently on the rear driver's side.  

Fix was pretty easy.  

1. Leave the tires on (its a little tight working space, but you don't have to jack up car or take off tire)
  2. Spray the top bolt of the shock mast shaft with some penetrating oil
  3. Put 15mm box wrench on mast nut
  4. clamp on vice grip wrench to top of mast 
  5. Tighten nut (I was one able to tighten less than 1/8 turn)
  6. Done

Drove car around the block and noise was gone.  Hopefully it's a long term fix.