Custom Search

Welcome to Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Ford Fusion Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Love your Fusion Energi? Register it in the official authorized Ford Energi Registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Rattle from back seat/trunk

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   blars

blars

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 86 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2014

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:10 AM

Yeah, I have been really dissapointed with the amount of rattles/squeaks/buzzes in this car.  Had it just over a year now and I've been putting up with a buzzing from the dash area by the windsheild for the last few months.  Sometimes its not as noticeable, but if the ICE is on or I'm on anything but a perfectly smooth road, it is extremely annoying.  When I took it in for the original issue, they had it for about a week, and I just can't afford to be without a car that long.

Edited by blars, 27 March 2015 - 07:10 AM.

269317.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 254 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • Current Vehicle:Ford
  • My Fusion's Year:Decline

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:09 AM

I have a 2014 Fusion Energi Titanium that I bought in August and I also have been having the rattling issue. Mine seems to come from the drivers side rear part of the car. I took it in once and they secured the rocker panels which didn't do anything. The second time they replaced something(I'm not sure what at the moment, but i'll update when I find my paperwork). That seemed to work for a couple weeks, but now the rattle is back. Not as loud as before, but is definitely there. Very frustrating.

When was your most recent trip to have this taken care of, Mjasim? I can check out some options; just PM me the info requested below, and I'll get on it. :)

Yeah, I have been really dissapointed with the amount of rattles/squeaks/buzzes in this car.  Had it just over a year now and I've been putting up with a buzzing from the dash area by the windsheild for the last few months.  Sometimes its not as noticeable, but if the ICE is on or I'm on anything but a perfectly smooth road, it is extremely annoying.  When I took it in for the original issue, they had it for about a week, and I just can't afford to be without a car that long.

I see Ashley reached out to you last year for this, I'll be glad to see how I can assist. Please send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

#23 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

Energi Member

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1,400 posts
  • LocationMN
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:58 AM

In my car, the torsion bars that hold up the trunk up rattled.  They rattled against the rear deck (they are right below it) and against each other.  I simply slid a glove I had in my trunk between the bars and around the bars near the middle where the bars come together (they have a plastic tie to hold them together) and are close to the rear deck there. 

199291.png

Tracking MPGe--not MPG.

#24 OFFLINE   cadixon999

cadixon999

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationD.C.
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Chevy Colorado

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:26 AM

I have had my new 2014 Energi Titanium for 2 weeks.  Pretty much since the day or two after I bought it, I've heard a rattle from the back seat or trunk/battery area that is very persistent, even on relatively smooth roads.  It sounds like the geiger counters used to measure radiation, but constant.  I took everything out of the car last night (car seats, loose change, etc) and drove around and still heard the noise.  Has anyone else had similar issues?  It's driving me nuts as it is quite annoying for a brand new car to be rattling constantly in good road conditions.

My coworker recently bought a certified 2015 Fusion and complained of the same squeaking sound.  After trying to determine the source of the squeak, the best I could guess was that it was at the base of the rear window.  I decided to try to lubricate the trunk weather seal and rubber bumpers with some silicone grease.  That appears to have fixed it!  Hope this works for others.

#25 OFFLINE   Ben Bruce

Ben Bruce

• Fusion Energi Facebook
  • 48 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationGilroy
  • Current Vehicle:Mountain Bike

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:09 AM

Mine started doing this rattle also at around 40K miles.  It is driving me nuts.  I have tried different things around the torsion bars on the trunk hinge.  Sometimes I think it is working but it always comes back.  Has anyone tried removing the trunk torsion springs?  I would like to try that next and see if it stops the noise.  If it does then I will know 100% it is the springs.  I have gone from liking this car to absolutely hating it because of this noise.  My family won't ride in it anymore.  I have to get this figured out and fixed soon.

Ben

#26 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

Energi Member

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1,400 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:57 PM

I traced the source of the rattle in my trunk to the Sony Amplifier on the right side behind the trunk lining.  I attached a Bunge cord to it to keep it from rattling.  I have no more rattles.

199291.png

Tracking MPGe--not MPG.

#27 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Energi Member

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • My Fusion's Year:2013

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:04 PM

Do not remove the torsion bars.  They are very strong and could easily injure you.  I think it would take three people to reinstall them.  One to hold the trunk lid up and the other two to wrestle them into place.

• Hybridbear likes this

#28 OFFLINE   pixelmixer

pixelmixer

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSeal Beach CA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2016

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:55 AM

I traced the source of the rattle in my trunk to the Sony Amplifier on the right side behind the trunk lining. I attached a Bunge cord to it to keep it from rattling. I have no more rattles.

#29 OFFLINE   pixelmixer

pixelmixer

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSeal Beach CA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2016

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:59 AM

Larry:
I just joined this group and saw your post. The Sony amp mount design allows too much flexing of the amp, which causes an irritating "buzzing" or "twanging" sound. It's effectively causing an audible harmonic not unlike a tuning fork. I put a block of foam between the amp & fenderwell. Noise is gone.
Ford should issue a factory fix for this, as it appears to be a common problem.

#30 OFFLINE   Ben Bruce

Ben Bruce

• Fusion Energi Facebook
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGilroy
  • Current Vehicle:Mountain Bike

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:03 PM

My problem has finally been solved.  I took the trunk apart and bolstered the amplifier, removed trunk springs and on and on.  Nothing solved the anoying rattle.  I finally gave up.

At 52K miles I noticed one of my front tires was wearing and needed to be replaced.  Not wanting to replace just one, I replaced all 4.  Upon inspection I noticed the left rear tire was out of round due to uneven tread wear.  4 new tires and the rattle is gone, car rides smoother (quieter).  Very happy with the car again.

Problem was Me, I never rotated the tires and caused the uneven tread wear.  Spent a lot of time and frustration chasing a ghost that was never there.  The out of round tire was causing a harmonic vibration that caused something to rattle in the car (still think it was coming from the trunk area).

Ben

#31 OFFLINE   Silencer

Silencer

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1 posts
  • Locationcanada
  • Current Vehicle:hybrid titanium

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:01 AM

Guys,

I have 2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium.  I am experiencing the same noise from the rear dash area as well just like the "blars" guy.  Drove me nuts trying to figure it out for a whole month. Took everything out and padded everything and nothing worked.  I finally discovered the cause of the "Geiger counter noise" I opened the trunk and pressing down on the rubber seal on the top trunk lip.  It made that exact noise .........  it was the upper trunk lip rubber seal.  It needed to be lubricated with armor all.  When it dries out it rubs against itself and causes the noise as the car drives and the trunk floats up and down going over un-even roads.  I armor all the crap out of it and now the noise is gone.  SOOOO Happy!!!!!!  I hope this helps you!

Whenever it rained, the sound was gone because the water acted as a lubricant for the rubber seal so no noise.

Silencer!

#32 OFFLINE   BlueRaider60

BlueRaider60

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 17 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

Same thing happened to my car, The came from the muffler. It was loose.

#33 OFFLINE   PacewonX

PacewonX

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWillow Grove, PA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Fusion 1.5 SE EcoBoost

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

Guys,

I have 2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium. I am experiencing the same noise from the rear dash area as well just like the "blars" guy. Drove me nuts trying to figure it out for a whole month. Took everything out and padded everything and nothing worked. I finally discovered the cause of the "Geiger counter noise" I opened the trunk and pressing down on the rubber seal on the top trunk lip. It made that exact noise ......... it was the upper trunk lip rubber seal. It needed to be lubricated with armor all. When it dries out it rubs against itself and causes the noise as the car drives and the trunk floats up and down going over un-even roads. I armor all the crap out of it and now the noise is gone. SOOOO Happy!!!!!! I hope this helps you!
Whenever it rained, the sound was gone because the water acted as a lubricant for the rubber seal so no noise.

Silencer!

Was having the same problem as everyone here. And this was exactly the solution! I just took ordinary armor all cleaning wipes, and greased down all of the rubber lining to the trunk, and it worked! I seriously was going crazy, because since ive owned my Fusion, never encountered this issue. Everyone who is having this issue, at least try this step to see if it makes a difference.

#34 OFFLINE   mlethbridge

mlethbridge

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:37 AM

Was having the same problem as everyone here. And this was exactly the solution! I just took ordinary armor all cleaning wipes, and greased down all of the rubber lining to the trunk, and it worked! I seriously was going crazy, because since ive owned my Fusion, never encountered this issue. Everyone who is having this issue, at least try this step to see if it makes a difference.

I am having the exact same issue, and I tried using the armor all wipes on all the rubber seals in the trunk but that hasn't made any difference.

Perhaps I am missing something?

Any help would be hugely appreciated. This is driving me nuts.

#35 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Energi Member

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 April 2017 - 12:28 PM

I am having the exact same issue, and I tried using the armor all wipes on all the rubber seals in the trunk but that hasn't made any difference.

Perhaps I am missing something?

Any help would be hugely appreciated. This is driving me nuts.

Did you verify that the rubber separators on the trunk lid torsion bars are positioned so that the bars can't touch each other or the underside of the package shelf?

#36 OFFLINE   mlethbridge

mlethbridge

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:38 PM

The torsion bars are zip tied toghether, so they are touching, but not moving. There was nothing preventing them from touching the trunk itself, so i put a few rags in there and that made zero difference to the noise occurring.

#37 OFFLINE   GoGoGadgetFusion

GoGoGadgetFusion

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Fusion

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:41 PM

Hey guys, new to the forum but I had been chasing around a trunk rattle for about a month with duct tape... turns out it's not the trunk, but the issue transfers to the trunk. The shock itself!! The shock was good, but the mast bolt was not tight by about a turn. Fixed it by removing the shock, cleaning the little dampening rubber and shock cap (not attached to the shock at all), and then reinstalling the shock. Quiet as death now. Just thought I would share my fix here. Requires a 15mm combo wrench, a set of channel locks, and about 30 minutes of your time. If the lower bolts are tight, you only need to loosen the mast, and force it compressed to remove the cap, you don't need to remove the entire shock. Crazy that it sounded like the trunk was going to fly off and there was nothing really wrong.

#38 OFFLINE   i4uba

i4uba

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Canada Quebec
  • LocationSherbrooke
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energie Titanium

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:28 AM

Hey Guys, I finally found the problem of this rattle (hope not only for my car). I was looking for this rattle more that half a year, tried different places, put somethings between the panels, seat, etc... But another day I found some disgusting dirt just inside of sealed rubber tuber below the rear window. So, when you close the trunk, using its weight it presses on the rubber tube, the tube shrinks flat and rubs against each other.

b1332_img1613809831_1477578559896.jpg

Check this image. After cleaning process, I applied some lubricant for silicon onto it. The sound disappeared completely.

Enjoy my solution. 

P.S. Don't touch speaker grids, belt holders, seats and side trim panels. There are no the sound! 100%

Have a great day to everyone!

Edited by i4uba, 02 November 2018 - 11:39 AM.

• jeff_h likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·