Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Had to get gas. . .

Gigi

. . .because my wife needs to drive the Energi tomorrow for a trip longer than our Focus Electric's range.  This tank of gas lasted 7 weeks.  It'll be a while before I can string together a couple of months for another high mileage tank without it being cut short by an out of town trip.  I figure that this 1,600 miles cost about $66 for gas and electricity, a savings of $303 compared with driving my F-150.

EV mileage should read 1,375, not 375.

20140325210946.jpg?c64331a2-95d5-4942-90

Nice, good job! I was thinking I would be going 6-8 weeks between trips to the pump as well, but last weekends 300 mile jaunt out of town reminded me that I always end up with some longer trip every few weeks.

If I only commuted to work and used the car for the occasional trip into the city, I could go months before needing gas.  It's the out of town trips now and then when the Energi fulfills it's second role as a regular hybrid that ruin a perfectly good run of all electric driving.

I'm at a year now with my original tank of fuel...showing 218mpg...what a great ride!

Wow that is great... we are 3½ weeks away from hitting the one-year mark on her car, and that was coming from an AWD Edge that she loved but it averaged 17MPG and I didn't love all the trips to the gas station.  So after 11 months we have saved $2,350 in gas -- cost of electricity lowers that a bit, but I would say maybe $250 so it has definitely been a good move.

I've had my car for 10 months so far, and still have a smidge above 1/4 tank of gas... the dealership tank.  I haven't taken it for fuel yet.

Just crossed 3,200 miles.  102MPGe lifetime average so far.

Yeah, I don't drive much.  Mostly up and bank to the office (5.3 miles away) and to the parent's home which is 9 miles away.  Only reason I used any gas this year is because it's been so freakishly cold.  Car decided to kick me back in to Oil Maintenance Mode this morning.  Hasn't come out of it yet, but hopefully it will tomorrow. 

Edited by Russael

I noticed the same thing.

Has anyone had a little buyer's remorse thinking they should have got a pure EV?

FWIW I have 23 fill ups since Oct and I charge a LOT.

That's a great question.

When we were at the car show last year, there were absolutely no EVs or even PHEVs that I would feel safe driving on the highway. I love the technology but hated the thin plastic switches, seats, and knobs (all wrapped in vehicles that a few of us could pick up and carry away. Plus I would have terrrrrible range anxiety no matter what the charge status is or how many miles the battery is rated for.

Everything came together for me when I saw the Fusion Energi. It was well built, loaded with technology, and had the proven history of the reliability of the Ford Hybrid.

We have planned our local trips around charging stations whenever possible and adopted a lifestyle that has opened a lot of doors for conversations and have helped to show others that there are other options out there from simply a gasoline engine or even a Prius.

It's been a fantastic car so far, but I know I'm speaking to the choir here on this forum.

I'm speaking at our dealer next month about Electric Hybrids and we are compiling footage for a video that highlights the versatility of the Energi.

So all in all there are no regrets and I'll continue to sing the praises of a car that each (or at least most of us) are enjoying.

Has anyone had a little buyer's remorse thinking they should have got a pure EV?

We liked driving on electricity so much that we went out and got a Focus Electric in addition to the Energi.  No remorse here, just happy to be driving on electricity as much as possible.  This is the first time in the last 25 years that we have had two car payments at the same time.  Fortunately, we are saving a net of about $400 per month on gas after paying for electricity, which makes paying for two cars a lot easier.

Honestly, the Ford Focus Electric WAS on the short list of cars that I wanted.  The ONLY things that swayed me to the Fusion Energi were:

1.  I didn't care too much for the front end's styling, but it is something I would've gotten used to.

2.  No employee discounts (incl. A, X, Z, and D).  Parent works for Ford.  This was the deal breaker.

3.  If I bought the car, there's no way I could've claimed all 7500 dollars of the Federal Tax Credit.  I would've had to lease it for the first couple years and then buy it out.

4.  No subwoofer for the sound system.

For me, the Fusion hit a home run for the styling (and a better sound system), plus I'm not locked to a 35 mile radius.  I DO have a gas vehicle (the Expedition) for longer trips though, which is why I was so close to buying the Focus.  I do not regret going with the Fusion one tiny bit.

edit: changed Federal Rebate to Federal Tax Credit

Edited by Russael

3.  If I bought the car, there's no way I could've claimed all 7500 dollars of the Federal Rebate.

Why would you not be able to claim the $7500? My understanding is its a rebate, so tax's paid in are not a factor e.g. I paid 0 in tax's i could still get the full $7500 back.

Is there some other factor involved, or is my understanding of this not correct?

I noticed the same thing.

FWIW I have 23 fill ups since Oct and I charge a LOT.

What is your life time MPG? I have 19 fill ups in just over a year and just got back over 70 MPG lifetime (4 long trips really killed my avg) Took me 126 days to empty the dealers tank which yielded 235 MPG.   Been over a month since my last fill up and not sure when I will need to go again (just about 1/4 tank).

What is your life time MPG?

Ours is up over 78mpg.  For almost the first three months, my wife drove it to work and didn't charge at work (51-54 mile round trip commute) which had the average down in the low 60s.  I've been driving the car and charging at work for the last 6-7 weeks and the average has been climbing.  We have a 1000+ mile trip coming up next week that will put a significant dip in the lifetime mpg.  Oh, well.  We got the car because we wanted something that could be economical around town and comfortable for long trips, which is exactly what it is.

Yes, you get over the dips in lifetime... but it does make you a little sad. I still remember bringing my car into the dealer to get the mud flaps installed and my salesman could not believe the +200MPG that was on the dash... I am still getting that, but I also take this car on trips where I still get over 40mpg in a full sized car doing over 70 mph. Not bad.

Will drive to Myrtle Beach (3 hours each way I think) in a few weeks, so another dip (and trips to the gas station).

What is your life time MPG? I have 19 fill ups in just over a year and just got back over 70 MPG lifetime (4 long trips really killed my avg) Took me 126 days to empty the dealers tank which yielded 235 MPG.   Been over a month since my last fill up and not sure when I will need to go again (just about 1/4 tank).

I've never hit reset on the dash display and I'm at 62.0 MPG.  It'd be a lot better, but I spent all of Nov and part of Dec going to a supplier 90 miles away.  As you can see, I'm starting to charge a lot more and it shows.  My driving routes haven't changed all that much in the last 3 months but I'm driving a little less and that shows as well.  I'm at about 13k miles since Oct.

FatFusionfirstsixmonthmileage_zpsa91e7dc

Here's my Fuelly details.

FatFusionfirstsixmonthfuelly_zps941fac4d