Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Is Vehicle Plugged in message

eeeny

The temporary fix I’ve figured out is this:

start your car. It should ask if the vehicle is plugged in. The car will not shift into great if you say yes. Select no. Now you can shift out of park but the car will still not move if you push the accelerator pedal (the green drive light is still off). Now without turning the car off, turn the key to the start position. After this you should get the message - ready to drive. 

I’m hoping tonight after an all-night charge it will stop with the silly message. 

Edited by themanieldaniel
Grammar

• 8 months later...

Ford service stopped supporting the forum many years ago.  The message you replied to is from 2014.

Is the dealer you took it to electric certified?  If they are not, they are just guessing about the problem.

Go to the main ford web site and do a dealer search.  Click the box for electric certified.

The Energi has an 8 year / 100,000 mile warranty on the hybrid unique components.

I don't know if that includes the charge port.

Inspect the charge port looking for foreign material. 

I don't know if they use a mechanical switch but if they do and something is lodged against it that could be the problem.

Edited by murphy

On 4/22/2014 at 7:12 AM, FordService said:

eeeny,

Let me see how I can help. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll take a look.

Ashley

11 minutes ago, murphy said:

Ford service stopped supporting the forum many years ago.  The message you replied to is from 2014.

Is the dealer you took it to electric certified?  If they are not, they are just guessing about the problem.

Go to the main ford web site and do a dealer search.  Click the box for electric certified.

The Energi has an 8 year / 100,000 mile warranty on the hybrid unique components.

I don't know if that includes the charge port.

Inspect the charge port looking for foreign material. 

I don't know if they use a mechanical switch but if they do and something is lodged against it that could be the problem.

Ford dealers had to send a minimum of two technicians and two sales persons to school to be trained on the electric vehicles to become electric certified.  Many dealers did not bother because they though electric vehicles were a passing fad.  This was in 2013.

A mechanical switch has a lever that is moved by the charging plug when it is inserted into the socket.  It can also be done with a magnet.

It could also be done by detecting current flow on the control wires.

I don't know how they chose to do it.

The charge port was changed in my 2013 Energi because one of the four light segments burned out, for free under the warranty.

I don't know which warranty since I had a 7 year ESP on the car at the time.

• 4 months later...

For anyone who has had the false "Is your vehicle plugged in" warning (when it is not) that made the car inoperable: I took it into the dealer multiple times and they could not replicate it. It would randomly happen when I was stopped, regardless of driving conditions. I'd get stuck in intersections, having to restart the car multiple times. Sometimes it would happen 3 times a day, sometimes I'd go several weeks. I unplugged my 12V battery overnight and it didn't solve the problem. I replaced my 12V battery but it didn't fix it. Finally I left my car charging and started gently wiggling cables, figuring it was a loose connection. I finally found the cable - see attached picture. It's the black cable leading to the 12V junction box with the green CDD tag on it. When I wiggled the cable while wearing electrical PPE (very gently - don't disconnect any high voltage cables) while the car was plugged in, it faulted the charging. I then taped the cable down (it faulted while wiggling up) and I've gone 4 months with no problems. BTW - I would recommend having a licensed dealer do this as messing with electrical cables on high voltage cars can be dangerous. I've seen this issue enough where I think Ford should issue a bulletin about it - their dealers are clueless on the issue and its potentially dangerous to have your call conk out when stopped in an intersection making a left hand turn.  

fusion cable.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 7/28/2020 at 12:18 PM, themanieldaniel said:

The temporary fix I’ve figured out is this:

start your car. It should ask if the vehicle is plugged in. The car will not shift into great if you say yes. Select no. Now you can shift out of park but the car will still not move if you push the accelerator pedal (the green drive light is still off). Now without turning the car off, turn the key to the start position. After this you should get the message - ready to drive. 

I’m hoping tonight after an all-night charge it will stop with the silly message. 

I am now also getting the "Is vehicle plugged-in?" message. And, per themanieldaniel, if I just select No, keep the car on, turn the key to the start position, we are ready to drive. Is there a way to reset something so we don't have to do this every time or is there possibly something wrong with the module that controls this? We love our Fusion Energi, but it is 2013, one of the first in our area, so maybe it's a bit old. I believe the electronics may only have an 8 yr warranty.

On 2/22/2023 at 4:39 PM, nc3man said:

I am now also getting the "Is vehicle plugged-in?" message. And, per themanieldaniel, if I just select No, keep the car on, turn the key to the start position, we are ready to drive. Is there a way to reset something so we don't have to do this every time or is there possibly something wrong with the module that controls this? We love our Fusion Energi, but it is 2013, one of the first in our area, so maybe it's a bit old. I believe the electronics may only have an 8 yr warranty.

I will add that, after charging last night, it now comes up in "Ready to drive" mode straight away. So this is intermittent for now, but we at least have a simple workaround to clear the warning and drive the car.

• 5 months later...