Ford Fusion Energi Forum

WARNING - Spare Wheel For Hybrid Doesn't Work For Energi

murphy

Will it fit your rear wheel?  If you get a flat up front, it's an extra step, but put your spare on the rear, then take your rear tire and swap your front tire with it.  Of course, if it doesn't fit your rear wheel... moot.

I actually thought of taking the spare off of my truck and putting in the garage.  I haven't needed it, even though I've had some 20 flats with the thing.  They've all been puncture flats and I keep a puncture repair kit with the truck with a mini compressor.

• 5 years later...

No.  The spacer would have to be thick enough to put the donut spare completely outside of the brake calipers.  The mounting bolts are not long enough to allow that to work.  The outer diameter of the brake calipers is the same as the inner diameter of the donut spare which means zero clearance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

We have two sets of rims for our Fusion Energi: one set for winter driving, and one set for summer driving.  The OEM P225/50 R17 V93 tire will fit into the Fusion Energy Trunk IF TIRE Stem Valve is removed allowing it to deflate and conform to the space in the Fusion Energi trunk. We keep a deflated off season wheel in the trunk as a spare. In BOTH cases of our having a flat tire, the ""Fix a Flat Foolishness" was not an option. In one case we had to have our neighbor bring one of our off season tires to our location because no services were available in the middle of Minnesota's Dark prairie where cell phone reception was intermittent at best.  It took two days to order and replace the Fusion's P225/50R17 93V Michelin Energy Saver A/S summer tire.

These Pictures show placing the deflated Bridgestone Blizzak  WS90 winter tire into the Fusion Energi trunk. (MUST remove ther valve stem core so that the outside of the tire can compress and deform to fit the available trunk space and the back of the tire MUST be pulled against the top of the back side of the trunk).  I use a small spade to help deflate/deform the larger and heavier Bridgestone Blizzak  WS90 Winter tire so that it will slip into the trunk; the Fusion's OEM P225/50R17 93V Michelin Energy Saver A/S summer tire,slips in and out much easier. 

One can pick up a quality heavy vehicle sizer jack at most junk yards; get the large size as shown.  One will also need to set the park brakes and chock the three good tires from moving before attempting to change the tire. One will also need, knee pads or cardboard to kneel on, a lug nut socket set, a long breaker bar wrench handle, and a torque wrench or cell, to set all of the lug nuts to 100 foot pounds. one should leave the spare tire un-inflated untill after the lug nuts are back on and the valve stem core is screwed back into the valve stem, (this will require a valve cap with the valve core remover and replacer feature on the top).  The Fusion Energi comes with a tire compressor so use it to reinflate the tire to the recommended 35 PSI.  Lower the tire until it touches the ground and then tighten all of the lug nuts to 100 foot pounds one should tighten and re-tighten the lug nuts in a cross pattern a minimum of 3 times. All of the tire changing equipment will fit into the tire center cavity except the long breaker bar wrench.

The trunk lid closes with a little tire friction on it with the Bridgestone Blizzak  WS90 winter tire nut it closes fine; I have a picture but it shows the license number and my wife dosen't want me to use it without erasing the number so I won't upload it. Good Luck!

20220625_134834.jpg

20220625_135021.jpg

20220625_135247.jpg

20220625_135355.jpg

20220625_141059.jpg

20220625_141444.jpg

20220625_141224.jpg

• 1 month later...

I own a 2019 Ford Fusion Energi Plug-In Hybrid.

My main complaint with this car is not having a spare.

After reading that the standard Fusion compact spare DOES NOT fit on the Energi, I did some research and took a chance to buy a "compact spare" from a Ford Escape compact SUV.

Standing the tire next to the Fusion tire it is the same height, the bolt pattern is identical, and if fits fine on both the front and rear of the Fusion Energi without caliper interference.

It does take up most of the trunk space, but the compact spare along with wrench and jack kit does fit in the tiny Energi trunk without much difficulty.

Hopefully this will assist those of you with the same complaint I had about the Fusion Energi Plug-In.