Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Anyone else lose a quadrant on their charge ring?

Dune

So I just bought my Fusion Energi (Used). And the charging ring worked the first time I charged it. It rained the following night, and I can tell it has something to do with the water, because its water logged inside the light ring at the bottom. When it dries out the third quadrant wants to light up. It flickers. First quadrant is dead. Car is still under 3 year bumper to bumper....but I am hesitant to take it to the dealer because it is our only car and if they take it in for a week I'll have to rent a car at $25+/- a day. I can't justify that expense for what really is a cosmetic issue. 

I am mildly annoyed at it though because I like the look of the ring when I unlock it...it influenced my purchase a little. 

First time poster here so cheers! I've been lurking for two weeks. 

That seems like a crap reason to not get be able to get a car fixed while under warranty. I got mine CPO which includes a rental, i also just came over to Ford from owning a Lincoln for the last 10 years which they always gave a free loaner if your repair was more than one day. Ford should have a little more respect for their owners.

Edited by My14Energi

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2014 Fusion Energi Ti. Purchased new, off the lot, in 2014.

Just lost the bottom right (3rd) quadrant.

I'm currently at 34k, so the ring is being replaced under the original 3y/36k warranty.

I wonder if the ESP plan will cover future charge ring failures.

I would suspect that if it's only a light that's out on the charge port, but the charge function works correct then you would need the PremiumCare Exterior/Interior Lighting Coverage option on the ESP for it to be covered.  

Edited by bwheetley

• 1 year later...

So I just lost the 2nd quadrant on a 2015 MY... Guess they made a crappy part... Jeeze Ford really knows how to make em cheap. Between this and my totaled 2013 it was what 15 visits to dealers?

Ashley doesn't seem to be active on these forums anymore for over a year, anyone have any luck under warranty outside B2B?

Edited by expresspotato

Yep, my 3rd quadrant has been out for months.  I haven't had a window to get it to the dealer yet, but plan on doing so before the warranty runs out.  I did notice that at night it is barely noticeable ( ~5% brightness) but you can't see that during the day.

I also have a non-working lumbar support, so I'll have both done.

Yeah should have bought ESP. Dealer wants $125 to install and its a $212 part. All in CAD of course - useless currency that it is -

I had the ESP on my 2013 hybrid - paid $2000 CAD for it (was living in Canada then, temporarily expatriated to the US now, probably moving back to Canada by 2020). Waste of money because the car wasn't unreliable enough. The few problems I did have after the B2B expired (peeling trim in front passenger footwell, some creaking in front passenger seat) were not covered by the ESP. 2.5 years passed without any issue occurring that the ESP would've covered. I got a refund for the last 1.5 years.

If I had a Range Rover or BMW, an extended warranty would almost certainly pay for itself within the first year because those brands are notoriously unreliable (just google "Doug Demuro" for hilarious anecdotes). Ford, while less reliable than Japanese brands, is still heads and shoulders above the worst European brands.

I have a feeling that you'll still be ahead if you pay out-of-pocket to fix the charging ring light, as opposed to having paid for the ESP and having this relatively minor issue covered. I classify it as minor because while it is annoying to lose the quadrant, it doesn't affect the car's drivability or core features - you can still charge it after all.

Personally I would just leave it and save that few hundred, especially if the other quadrants still work which allows you to see when the car is fully charged. You also have MFM and the display in the car itself.

So I just bought my Fusion Energi (Used). And the charging ring worked the first time I charged it. It rained the following night, and I can tell it has something to do with the water, because its water logged inside the light ring at the bottom. When it dries out the third quadrant wants to light up. It flickers. First quadrant is dead. Car is still under 3 year bumper to bumper....but I am hesitant to take it to the dealer because it is our only car and if they take it in for a week I'll have to rent a car at $25+/- a day. I can't justify that expense for what really is a cosmetic issue. 

I am mildly annoyed at it though because I like the look of the ring when I unlock it...it influenced my purchase a little. 

First time poster here so cheers! I've been lurking for two weeks. 

Your dealer is not very nice... My dealer will provide the rental for free if the car is being repaired under warranty or if a recall operation is being performed. Only during normal maintenance does the rental cost money.

Edited by 4cylinder