Ford Fusion Energi Forum

My Crash Test...Pass!

47Minutes

So this happened on my way home last night.

Elderly driver turned in front of me.  Thankfully my wife and daughter were not with me and I have only some scrapes and bruising on my left arm from the airbag.  I am very pleased with the car's crash performance.  In particular the 911 Assist function.  While I was dazed wondering where my sunglasses went after leaving my face the car called 911, reported a crash and gave the coordinates.  As soon as it disconnected that call, the 911 operator called me back and took details of what happened.

I was also surprised and pleased that the rear seat side airbag deployed.  I would not have expected it to given the front/left nature of impact.  But had my daughter been with me, that is where she sits so I am pleased.

After opening my claim I am all but convinced it will be declared a total loss.  While that is hard to take because I may not be able to replace her with another one, I know she would never be the same if she were repaired.

The hardest part of this all is potentially saying goodbye to my 47 Minutes.  I can't even hope that I would ever win another car in my lifetime and certainly not one that I've enjoyed and loved as much as this one.  I will at least get my license plates back as a souvenir.

WP 20140709 17 59 49 Pro

WP 20140709 17 59 17 Pro

WP 20140709 17 58 58 Pro

WP 20140709 17 58 52 Pro

WP 20140709 17 58 29 Pro

WP 20140709 17 58 07 Pro

WP 20140709 17 57 58 Pro

35-40 mph was my speed.  She was just starting the left turn in front of me so I'd say she was going maybe 5mph at an angle across my path.

I'm almost hoping they declare it a total loss.  It would never be the same after that much repair.  I really did get the impression from insurance that they'll total it.  I should know Monday for sure.

I've had only one experience with a vehicle totalled after an accident, my wife's 2004 Escape.  We received a check for the fair market value of the car.  Now that was an at fault incident so our insurance paid it out.  In this case I expect it to be the other driver's insurance paying so I don't know if that makes a difference.  Either way I'm not expecting MSRP if it's totalled.  If I go by KBB I can expect around $30K.  About $7K of that will pay off the lien leaving me $23K for a replacement car.

Wow, glad you are alright.

I will say the replacement/value thing is something I worried about as soon as I left the dealer, but my insurance adds some sort of new vehicle coverage for the first 2 years. If the car is totaled they pay out what it would cost to replace it, not what it is currently worth. Its good peace of mind, and was not expensive (20-30 per 6 months).

I've had only one experience with a vehicle totalled after an accident, my wife's 2004 Escape.  We received a check for the fair market value of the car.  Now that was an at fault incident so our insurance paid it out.  In this case I expect it to be the other driver's insurance paying so I don't know if that makes a difference.  Either way I'm not expecting MSRP if it's totalled.  If I go by KBB I can expect around $30K.  About $7K of that will pay off the lien leaving me $23K for a replacement car.

There are still some 2013s on lots that I bet you could get a deal close to $32K or so BEFORE the tax refund.  Then after the $4007 and your $23K left over, you would only have to finance or come with about 4K more.  Seems like you could replace it with money to spare, if you can find a 2013 FFET on a lot.  The 2014 Ruby Red FFET we leased in May, had $35,500 on the sale price on the window, before the tax refund. 

Edited by EnergiCCAATS

Super glad neither side got hurt.

Yeah, figure $1.5k per airbag deployed, that much damage, with the frame bent, engine damage, should be a write off. If they got to the A pillar or driver's door, that be all she wrote.

Since you weren't at fault you could toss in pain/suffering extra to get you up to replacement value... grab your charger out before it's gone, likely they won't miss that. You should be able to replace it since you aren't at fault here. There isn't any reason you shouldn't be put back, except that insurance companies get laws like they don't have to make you whole.

Edited by shaggy314

• 2 weeks later...

My insurance has closed my first party claim since the other company has assumed liability.  So I'm starting over now with Allstate.  Spoke to them earlier this week and they were to send someone out to look it over. Still waiting to hear back.  They did offer me $400 for the airbag bruising.  It's not much but I'd have to seriously exaggerate or falsify injury to warrant much more.

I have been looking into the diminished value claim and will pursue that if they decide to repair it.

As a side note to this thread, just got my first full 6-month bill from Allstate for my Fusion Energi... UGH!  Liability at state minimums, Collision, Comprehensive (both with $500 ded), Uninsured motorist (Needed here with all the illegals), towing, rental coverage, and it ONLY cost $700 for the 6-month period!  That's double the cost of my (admittedly older) Camry Hybrid, and three times the cost of my Nissan Frontier.  I paid the bill, cause I love the car, but UGH!

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like cars have become disposable nowadays.  Years ago, about the only way a car would be thrown away was to basically delete (crunch, crumple, totally destroy) at least 1/3 of it. :)  The damage to your car in all honesty doesn't look all that bad.

How the heck did they get repairs up to 22k?  That's the price of a base model Fusion for a 35MPH collision that only happened in the front!  Eeesh!

Someone will probably buy the car when the insurance company auctions it off and will rebuild it, and sell it as a rebuilt title.

• 3 weeks later...