Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Warning that I need to check the front camera

howardbc

Almost since I first got my 2013 FFE Titanium in April of 2013, when I'm stating to drive forward after pulling out of my garage, I get a warning that I need to clean the front camera. There is the series of rolling chimes and then the small window pops up to the left of the speedometer - something to the effect that the front camera needs to be cleaned to improve visibility. Other than the built-in sensors around the front part of the body, I don't know what the system is talking about. I know there is a camera behind the rear-view mirror but it can't be reached to be cleaned, as far as I know. 

This warning chime/pop-up does not appear again after I've driven a few feet forward. I keep my car clean and would certainly wipe off any debris over any of the sensors or in front of the camera behind the rear-view mirror. The warning collision avoidance system works great if a car is turning in front of me and the system thinks I might not be slowing down fast enough. And all the sensors work great when I'm parking. 

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this "clean front camera" warning comes up almost every time I leave my garage and head out? It doesn't happen when I've already been out, parked, and then driven the car again. So it must be something triggered by the car being parked in my garage overnight. 

Thanks. 

I don't know why it happens, but you're not alone... it happens to me about 95% of the time when pulling out of the garage first thing in the morning, but never at any other time during the day.  I hit the 'OK' button and it turns off and that's it.  When I go to the dealer for my inspection I will ask them to check for stored trouble codes, as there is also a thread on this subject currently being discussed on the hybrid forum.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/9307-forward-looking-camera-fogged-over/

I don't have the driver assist package, so I'm kind of grasping at straws, but I'm thinking that the windshield might have some of that scum/film between the camera and the windshield from the gasses that the plastics give off.  I've wiped off the inside of my windshield several times and it accumulates a LOT of scum (side and rear windows too).  Since the camera is butted up against the windshield and I don't know if it's temporarily removable or not, it may detect that film since that part of the inside of the windshield doesn't get cleaned.

Did it recently start doing this or has it been doing it since day 1?

Thanks for the feedback. At least I feel better knowing that I am not the only one. It can't be ice since I live in the desert. And yes, it has done it for the 18 months I've had the car. I will just point it out the next time I'm at the dealer.

By the way, I always do a search on this site to see if someone has already asked the same question. When nothing like it comes up, that's when I post a new topic. I hate to clutter things up but don't know what else to do. Any tips on doing a search on all forums would be appreciated. I'm very familiar with doing this on Google. I always try different key words. 

But as always, I really appreciate the patient and helpful feedback.