Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Split water. Removable plastic around gear shift?

openair

Today I split a bit of water between the gear shift and the storage and media compartment.  A first I thought: it's plastic instead of upholstered.  No worries.  Easy to clean.  I go for some paper, and look back, and most of the water had seeped through the crack between the two pieces of plastic.

Possible to remove the elongated 'u' shaped piece of plastic to dry inside?  Anything sensitive inside I should be worried about?

You can pull the side panel and the trim piece above it off.  They are both held by spring clips.  The one on the passenger side would be the place to start since if you ever needed to get the shift lever out of park with a dead 12 volt battery that is the one that has to come off.  There is not much in there although the RCM that has to be replaced for the 850,000 car recall is aparently in there.  Plug it into the wall and put the heat on max to cook the water out.  Somewhere on this forum is a picture of where to pull.  If I can find it I'll add a link to this post.

I didn't find the one I was looking for but this one has some disassembly in a video in the last post that will show how things come apart.

http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1009-how-does-one-disassemble-the-console/?do=findComment&comment=4884

Edited by murphy

It's November and I live in Ontario, Canada.  It's 9c, at best, at noon.  I could crank the heating while it's in the sun and it wouldn't do squat (as far as evaporating water is concerned).  Never mind that I am at work during that time and cannot.

I removed the panel but the water was long gone through the other wholes and whatnot under it.  Gave up.

Edited by openair