Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Would you buy a car from Apple?

meyersnole

Interesting... 

RUMOR: Apple has poached a bunch of people from Tesla, and it IS making a car

Not sure if this would be a good thing or not. Tesla has proved that if you build the right product, you can compete in this space. Cars are very technical machines and part of this seems in their wheel house, however it seems like they should be doing a partnership (maybe that is what they are doing) rather than attempting this themselves as this could cause them to lose focus on what makes them successful. 

Interesting.

The good/bad is that Apple has the gas on hand to throw at a solution. But from a friend that just got back from doing a stint at Apple, that's literally what they are doing, throwing money at problems.

The problem with this approach with a car is the profit margins are so low, so the car is going to be insanely expensive. But I guess thats what everyone thought when the first Iphones came out "WHAT! No one will pay that much for a phone". Now they sell how many million a day?

No I don't think I would. Especially if apple carries over their approach with computers to their cars.

Ie: it'll only run on gas or electricity bought from apple authorized location. Wipers, spark plugs, tires and wheels and all that other good stuff will also have to be apple products or you risk voiding your warranty.

Oh and don't forget, you can only sync iPhone and ipods. No android, black berry or MS phones supported!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting.

The good/bad is that Apple has the gas on hand to throw at a solution. But from a friend that just got back from doing a stint at Apple, that's literally what they are doing, throwing money at problems.

The problem with this approach with a car is the profit margins are so low, so the car is going to be insanely expensive. But I guess thats what everyone thought when the first Iphones came out "WHAT! No one will pay that much for a phone". Now they sell how many million a day?

That would be 34,000 an hour, every hour, all last quarter. Remember the snickers when they wanted to sell 10 a year?

Not only yes, but hell yes. I'm a geek and I love customization as much as anyone, but when it comes right down to it, I buy Apple stuff because it just plain works. 

I bet if I had an Apple car - Or a Ford with "Sync by Apple" instead of "Sync by Microsoft" that the damn daylight savings time would work! >:-(

Not only yes, but hell yes. I'm a geek and I love customization as much as anyone, but when it comes right down to it, I buy Apple stuff because it just plain works. 

I bet if I had an Apple car - Or a Ford with "Sync by Apple" instead of "Sync by Microsoft" that the damn daylight savings time would work! >:-(

It is sad how some stuff that was figured out on cell phones, computers, and many other common devices is still completely lost on the auto industry.  I had also forgot about the daylight savings not being an option as I went through the menus 3 or more times looking for it. 

You can find that option on any $20 atomic clock, but not your car. SMH. 

I'd buy one - if it made sense to.  When I bought my MacBook Pro in 2011, it was the only solid metal computer with good battery life (4hrs) and a decent Dedicated GPU (ATI/AMD 6770) and a trackpad and keyboard that didn't suck.  They are (still) only producer of 16:10 displays in laptops that aren't bespoke.  That laptop has since survived accidents that would destroy computers with lower build quality (as I know from experience), and the case has the dents and dings to show it.  The headphone jack once took so much force from a fall with headphones plugged in it physically deformed the case around the jack base.  It still works.   If they can build a car that tough with insane battery life and great power, in a form factor almost no one else does (say Jetta Sportwagen style) .  Then sure, I'd buy it. 

Edited by Rhynri

It is sad how some stuff that was figured out on cell phones, computers, and many other common devices is still completely lost on the auto industry.  I had also forgot about the daylight savings not being an option as I went through the menus 3 or more times looking for it. 

You can find that option on any $20 atomic clock, but not your car. SMH. 

My 2014 C-Max Energi has an option for it, but it didn't work when we were on DST, so I just manually adjust the time.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes.  I think this falls into the same category as "Would you buy an airplane from Honda?"   http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2014/12/31/honda-moves-closer-to-delivering-hondajet.html?page=all  The OTWEM (Over-the wing-engine-mount) is going to add like 20% cabin volume compared to what all of the other manufacturers offer because Honda started with a clean sheet and re-designed the mold.  

I believe that if Apple took the same due diligence that Honda did it would be a viable product in an unfamiliar product segment. 

I think Apple, like Honda, will benefit from out-of-the-box thinking.  Apple needs to give it a shot. 

Edited by 91er

• 1 month later...

MotorTrend has jumped on this rumor in their June 2015 issue on page 21 in the MT Confidential column

Said they initially dismissed the rumor but are now hearing that Apple has hired a team originally working on the HySeries Drive hydrogen fuel cell plug in concept at Ford circa 2007. So now maybe you add Apple to Toyota and Honda in the corner of hydrogen fuel cell is the future of alternative fuel transportation.

I really do not not follow hydrogen developments at all, but I really wonder what they see that has greater potential than what we are seeing in the development of the battery? There has been significant development there over the last 10 years.

The only thing I can really think of is that hydrogen might be easier to leverage existing infrastructure (all the existing gas stations) than to build out a new network. However, I would think that either shift will require a significant retooling. 

One last thing, why is Apple jumping into the automobile development in a technology that does not even seem to be in proof of concept phase? Money to burn?

Absolutely not.  When you make highly proprietary products (like Apple) and restrict who can sell it, who can service it, what modifications you are allowed to make to it, can't obtain service manual to do your own repairs, and, in general, make it a very closed system, you will get a very expensive product that costs a lot to buy, a lot to service, and a lot to repair. 

Consider Tesla.  You are required to pay $600/year for annual inspection.  That is far more than a couple of oil changes per year for a conventional car.  If you need service, you are required to take the car to an authorized service center--you can't take it to just any shop.  They are going to charge you a lot more than other repair places.  If you hire an authorized electrician to install a charger for a Tesla, you are going to pay several times more than other electricians.  If you need to replace the drive unit, that is $15,000.  If you need simple body repairs, that will cost you $22,000 (more than many cars cost to begin wth).  Insurance is going to cost a lot more.  When you create a virtual monopoly, you can charge whatever you want. 

Edited by larryh

One last thing, why is Apple jumping into the automobile development in a technology that does not even seem to be in proof of concept phase? Money to burn?

Self driven vehicles are not even in the proof of concept phase? I think the software patch enabling limited but proven self driving capabilities to model S and the company who recently got licences for their self driven 18 wheelers to continue further development show self driving is long past be proven feasible as a concept.

Green Car Reports had an article today on hydrogen car ownership.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1098233_hyundai-tucson-fuel-cell-early-drivers-discuss-experiences-traveling-on-hydrogen?fbfanpage

Couple of lines that caught my eye: 

There have already been more Hyundai Tucson Fuel Cell vehicles leased in the U.S. than any other hydrogen-powered vehicle.

Through April, Hyundai has leased 68 of the small SUVs since last June, when the first one was delivered.

That slightly exceeds the number of Honda FCX Clarity fuel-cell sedans leased from 2008 through April.

And this site says a direct competitor to Tesla: Court documents strongly suggest Apple is working on an electric car

Will get interesting when prototypes start popping up. larryh brings up an excellent observation, if Apple is building it is probably not going after the market for the masses... it will try and out Tesla, Tesla. With their name recognition this could open electric vehicles to a whole new group of people that would not consider them before. 

I am really surprised how much Tesla was able to push this market. 

With all the money that Apple, Google, Facebook, etc have amassed it is interesting to see what they are doing with the capital.

Google is changing cable TV and ISPs in the US (and is exploring shaking up wireless communications). Driverless cars coming to a street in California. 

Apple looking at this and wanting to join in? The next few years are going to be very interesting for the automobile enthusiast. 

• 4 months later...

Hopefully this will cause Ford to take the electric car business seriously.

And that includes a mandatory education program for their dealers.  The salesman that handled my purchase of the Energi (I went to them order in hand - they didn't "sell" it to me.) knew nothing about the car and almost broke the charge port door when I picked it up because he didn't know how to close it.  He still sends me emails touting their latest sale of gas only cars.

Apple is a brand that will cause disruption in the space, kind of like Google is causing disruption in the ISP/IPTV space. 

Surprised but happy to see this happening. 10 years ago who would have thought you would see Apple and Tesla cars driving around your neighborhood (not to mention semi autonomously). Exciting times. 

Considering how Apple locks down apps on the phone, maybe they'll limit places where you can drive just like they control the content on their phones.

It is very unlikely I would ever buy a car from Apple. It would have to be something amazing and I don't think that is what they'll bring to market. Too many people will just fawn all over what they do like it is mana from heaven if it is a steaming pile of doo doo.

I am not a lemming who buys what everyone else buys. Just by the sheer fact I have a Cmax Energi would likely be proof enough of that. I am not swayed by some facing name or a status symbol. At the same time I am not opposed to spending money when I get what I want/need.

I don't think Ford is really serious enough about the electric car space yet. I hope they will they will increase their engagement. More players is a good thing and that is probably the only thing I'll be looking forward to if Apple jumps into the market. Just another car to clutter up Silicon Valley and maybe displace all the Teslas you see everywhere.

Taz, I think you may be viewing this the wrong way. 

You do not have to like Apple products or even purchase one and this could be good news for you if you like electric power as an alternative to fossil fuels. Tesla has made an impact, but the cost has made this niche. Nissan Leaf brings electric cars to the masses, but ignorance and propaganda... even poorly trained sales people hurt this market. But probably more than anything the lack of a proper infrastructure is the #1 thing holding back this market. You can gas your car up no matter where you go... I tend to have to rely on my friends 120V outlets when I travel. You can't even reliably plug in at a hotel. 

I know that when I went to first test drive the Fusion energi the salesman did everything he could to steer me away from the car. What a waste of money, they don't drive well, your going to get stuck on the side of the road, etc. The salesman!

Apple knows how to market a product. Even if you don't want the Apple product it defines the space and makes the whole market stronger. This should also ensure that Ford, GM, Toyota, et al stay engaged in this space as to not lose to a very powerful brand.  

Apple is big enough to be disruptive, and if they execute properly this could be the beginning of the next evolution in private transportation.  Or it could be just something Apple is doing with a whole bunch of extra money. I am hoping that they have a plan here...

No, I get the potential disruptive aspect. Just like racing/competition improves the breed. I also see how Apple can stifle things as well. It is a double-edged sword to me.

I've owned Apple products and too often the the performance doesn't live up to the hype. Case in point. the original iPod. What a POS when it actually came to sound quality. I wanted a music player with GOOD sound, not mediocre. I had to use the cursed iTunes to sync my songs as well. So for me it was a case of mostly sizzle but no steak. I had the original iPhone. You couldn't even copy and paste a number from a website to the phone. To top it off, sound quality was mediocre again as well. The phone functionality was clearly lacking. Again the lemmings flocked to in droves.

I wasn't an adopter of their products because I wanted to. I had to imparitally assess and test the products for use in a large enterprise corporate environment. I had no skin in the game either way so to speak I just needed to find out what was best in breed and figure out how we could make it work in our environment of 50k plus users in the US. So I tried a lot of tech products.

I am curious to see what they come up with. Hopefully it won't be the equivalent of another Segway.

Problem is in states that need EVs the most, they make almost no economic sense. The absurdly high electricity rates of California negate a lot of the potentianl economic benefit of EV. So we'll see if the Apple car has real impact or just becomes a status symbol. Apple hasn't exactly been hitting homeruns lately. Their watch is a good example of that.