Ford Fusion Energi Forum

MyFordMobile Users...

Platinum15Ti

I set up my MyFordMobile account last night. I requested that the cabin temperature be 72 degrees at 5:30 am. The car was plugged into the 120v wall charger. I came outside and the exterior temperature was 0 degrees F. The car was ice cold inside and the windows were solid frost. Is there anything I have to do within the car to ensure the MyFordMobile works? I checked the GoTime schedule and it showed a go time of 5:30am as I entered.

Thank you!

MyFordMobile works BUT!

There is no way that a 120 volt charger is going to warm up a car from 0 degrees F.  There is only 120 volts times 12 amps = 1440 watts available.  To have any chance at all you need a 240 volt charger.  240 volts times 16 amps = 3840 watts.

Instead, if the car is outside or open the garage door and use remote start.  I think the default is 10 minutes but I changed mine to 15 minutes.  This gets the car toasty warm in very short order and when you leave in EV Only mode the heater isn't drawing 5 kW from the battery to heat the cabin.

The car requires an L2 charger that can supply 240 volts at 16 amps.  It can use any L2 charger however.  If you have any thoughts of getting an all electric car, like a Focus Electric, in the future then get a larger L2 charger now.  I bought a Leviton 16 amp charger before the car was delivered.  A year and a half later I replaced that charger with a Leviton 40 amp charger.  The downside to a larger charger is the required wire size since copper is expensive.  Do not use aluminum wire.  The 16 amp charger requires a 20 amp circuit.  A 20 amp circuit requires 12 gauge wire.  A 40 amp charger requires a 50 amp circuit.  A 50 amp circuit requires 6 gauge wire.  In the USA for continuous duty, which a charger certainly is, a circuit must be derated to 80%.  Thus a continuous load on a 20 amp circuit can't exceed 16 amps.  A continuous load on a 50 amp circuit can't exceed 40 amps.  The charger circuit can not be a shared circuit.  That is there can only be one receptacle on the circuit.  That is also recommended for the 120 volt circuit that is used with the charger that is supplied with the car.  There are several brands available.  They all do the same job.  Some have extra features that are nice but not necessary.

I think most everyone is happy with the L2 chargers that they have purchased.  I would choose one based on price and features that are important to you. 

One additional + to this, if you intend on getting more electric vehicles in the future, get an EVSE with higher capacity or a higher charge current.  At least then you'd be future proofed.

I went with a 16A model and it works fine for me.  I tend to hold on to my vehicles for a very long time and I don't commute much (yay for remote working), so that amount of charge current is suitable for me.

My pipe dream IS still a Tesla. :)  Too bad Michigan doesn't allow them to sell here anymore.  :rant:

Unfortunately, the tax rebate for installing a home charger expired on December 31, 2015.  Maybe congress will extend that benefit again, but if they can't even fund Homeland Security, I'm not holding my breath!

December 31, 2015 is a long way off in the future.

The tax credit (not rebate) was renewed at the last minute at the end of 2014.