Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Camber for better handling

tsarty17

I was in my buddies shop after work and was saying how Ive got 11k on my fusion and my tires look more than half worn. I'm not hard on the car at all but do drive windy roads. He recommended cambering the tires out a little so I wear the outside edges less. We did just that (still in spec but the most out possible (-1.8) and the front had a lot of toe from the factory which we took out. The result was great. Handles a lot better. Just a tip if any of you wanted better handling. Also I beleive the stock tires have a 65k mile warrantee?? Anyone else wearing them fast?

I wouldn't be surprised if your economy goes up a little too, especially from the TOE adjustment.

My mother's 2008 Fusion destroyed the original Continental tires in about 24000 miles (60k tires).  I don't know why, but I feel that Ford puts too much camber on the wheels, especially in the rear.  My 2001 Focus, while I had it, was visibly noticable and kind of looked like the wheels were going to fall inward.  Whenever I would rotate the tires, the car would rumble because it was now putting so much additional pressure on unworn tread.  It was not adjustable, but there were a couple aftermarket kits with adjustable bolts to fix that for you.

My Expedition wheels are perpendicular to the road surface (I think that's 0 camber?) , and as a result, the tires last a long time.  It may not go around a racetrack as fast as an expo with negative camber, but those things aren't intended for racing anyway.

• 1 month later...

He recommended cambering the tires out a little so I wear the outside edges less. We did just that (still in spec but the most out possible (-1.8)

Do you mean cambering the tires IN to wear the outside edges less? Cambering them OUT would put positive camber into the system causing more outside tire wear.

My tires are wearing very evenly, never even roated them yet, and at 15.5k miles, but I also drive the car likes its a comfortable high MPG car and not a sports car. I have my track Corvette for that sort of thing.