Ford Fusion Energi Forum

How far have you been able to stretch your battery?

jstewart0131

It's not cheating.  The Hybrid can't do that... the battery isn't big enough.

It is unlikely, but not entirely impossible. It depends on how much uphill there was along the way. The hybrid would have engaged the engine, but used no gas, once the HVB was full. If the uphill were short it could have managed on EV.

But I agree, it is MUCH easier with the Energi.

It is unlikely, but not entirely impossible. It depends on how much uphill there was along the way. The hybrid would have engaged the engine, but used no gas, once the HVB was full. If the uphill were short it could have managed on EV.

But I agree, it is MUCH easier with the Energi.

The hybrid would've had to waste that kinetic energy via spinning the motor that the Energi can recapture.  Granted, once the energi battery gets full, it'll do the same thing, but far less is wasted.

The hybrid would've had to waste that kinetic energy via spinning the motor that the Energi can recapture.  Granted, once the energi battery gets full, it'll do the same thing, but far less is wasted.

I quite agree, I was just pointing out that it might be possible to do the same trip on "EV" in the hybrid. Depends on the terrain. Any extended uphill would kill the hybrid.

• 1 month later...

Hey all, I think what I have applies on this thread---and I think like most of you I am always trying to get the most from just electric driving--that is my goal anyway.  So,,,,I have a 2013 titanum  I bought with 7k miles on it and its at 25K now.  I have NEVER gotten even close to the 21 miles that ford claims and in reading many posts on here I hear so many others state they get well over 21 miles.  I work for Intel Corp.  and have a master in engineering and I have a good handle on technology.  So, I know all the factors that go into range like wind resistance being proportional to the square of your velocity, rolling resistance, type of driving, style of driving (quick starts, etc.) temperature, climate control usage, when you pull your car off of the charger, etc etc. 

I have even so far as to call up Ford and ask them HOW the EPA and ford derive the 21 mile number and looked into the testing procedure and I tried to duplicate it, and I still don't get 21 miles. 

I have tried EVERYTHING and at best I get about 16 miles at most.  Now, I also do  this range test on the freeway and drive so slowly (like 50-55) that most people want to drive by and kill me and let me know I am number 1.  ;-)  I do all I can do drive super smooth and keep all the climate control off. This is even in winter or summer so I can't say its the cold out impacting the range.  I am in CA so even 'cold" here is like 50-55F. 

I have it at the dealer now (for other issues too---like the remote start issue of everything being grayed out for climate control).  The SA says they are working with "engineering" on it and they can't quite fix it yet.  

anyway, I know that is a long post, but could others please comment on what you are getting for pure electric range and in what style of driving? Most posts on here only seem to talk about mixed driving on the ICE and battery.  I am just wondering if its me and my driving, or is somehow my battery not as strong as others.  

please let me know if you are getting this under 21 mile range too.  

thanks!

The Ford/EPA estimate is 19 miles, not 21.  Also, it is a mixed commute cycle, which I'm sure includes a lot of in-town speeds (45mph and below).  

I have an 18 mile commute each way, about 11 miles on the freeway (50-70mph), and I can make it most days all electric.  This is in Detroit and I bought the car used in November with 20k miles on it, so I am talking winter weather, temps from 50 degrees down to 10 degrees.  As it has warmed up around here lately, I've been getting home with up to 5 miles of estimated range left (~20% SOC).  There is an alternate route to work that I sometimes take which is about 5 miles longer, but all surface streets (max 50 mph).  I can usually make it home using that route also, even though it is longer, but no 70mph highway driving.  This is Detroit, so it is pretty flat - no hills.  Oh, and this is all with the heat off.  If I have to turn on the heat, then my range is can be cut in half.

So that is my experience, I hope it helps.

Edited by dperreno

Hey all, I think what I have applies on this thread---and I think like most of you I am always trying to get the most from just electric driving--that is my goal anyway.  So,,,,I have a 2013 titanum  I bought with 7k miles on it and its at 25K now.  I have NEVER gotten even close to the 21 miles that ford claims and in reading many posts on here I hear so many others state they get well over 21 miles.  I work for Intel Corp.  and have a master in engineering and I have a good handle on technology.  So, I know all the factors that go into range like wind resistance being proportional to the square of your velocity, rolling resistance, type of driving, style of driving (quick starts, etc.) temperature, climate control usage, when you pull your car off of the charger, etc etc. 

I have even so far as to call up Ford and ask them HOW the EPA and ford derive the 21 mile number and looked into the testing procedure and I tried to duplicate it, and I still don't get 21 miles. 

I have tried EVERYTHING and at best I get about 16 miles at most.  Now, I also do  this range test on the freeway and drive so slowly (like 50-55) that most people want to drive by and kill me and let me know I am number 1.  ;-)  I do all I can do drive super smooth and keep all the climate control off. This is even in winter or summer so I can't say its the cold out impacting the range.  I am in CA so even 'cold" here is like 50-55F. 

I have it at the dealer now (for other issues too---like the remote start issue of everything being grayed out for climate control).  The SA says they are working with "engineering" on it and they can't quite fix it yet.  

anyway, I know that is a long post, but could others please comment on what you are getting for pure electric range and in what style of driving? Most posts on here only seem to talk about mixed driving on the ICE and battery.  I am just wondering if its me and my driving, or is somehow my battery not as strong as others.  

please let me know if you are getting this under 21 mile range too.  

thanks!

I'm in a 2014 Ti, with 26k miles.  I've been driving a 21.3 there and 21.5 back mile commute each way every day 4 days a week for a little over 2 years.  3 miles local and the rest freeway.  Light traffic on the way in and heavier traffic on the way home.  On the way in I use about 2 mile of gas, and on the way home about 1 mile of gas.

In the electric car market, battery range is also YMMV (your mileage may vary).  There is one bit of discrepancy I'd like to point out.  Originally when our 2013 and 2014 cars were released, they had an estimate battery only range of 21.  Last year, Ford sent out a mea culpa, and stated that they were using computer modeling to adjust the range based on similar drivetrains to the C-Max and the model was incorrect.  Ford had to re-adjust our gas mileage and our expected battery range.  This lead to a reduction from 21 to 19 miles.  As others have said this obviously varies.  

At low speeds (say 35 mph) with AC off and light throttle on flat roads on a fair weather, I can get into the 26+ mpg in free flowing traffic.  At freeway speeds with accelerating off of ramps and getting over to the carpool lane (California HOV lane), I only get 15-16 at 70-75 mpg.  Header and AC reduce all numbers I've been saying roughly 10%.  Especially cold days, I lose about 10%, and hot days, I lose about 5%.  Remember, as the battery ages, it will lose capacity as well.  Nissan was saying they were okay with their Leaf losing 20% of full capacity within 5 years and 25% of full capacity cumulative in 7 years (IIRC).  Also remember, other than steady state of 35 mph, stop and go traffic with a very light breaking foot are the best ways to get the most mileage.  One funny thing is that the car still uses the AC compressor when you have AC "off".  You can only get vent air with no power for climate control when you put the it to "lo", and manually set the fan speed.  Ford also does count regen in the mileage I think, so a good light braking foot helps.

For you, my guess is, battery age, type of driving (traffic, high speed, high average speed etc), and ac or open windows (for drag at freeway speeds).

Edited by bobnfloyd

• 3 weeks later...

37 is my absolute best, but it required milking it all the way, lots of pulse and glide, anticipating stop signs for minimum energy loss, then rolling slowly from a stop (albeit pissing people off behind me).  A little higher may be possible but it would require staying below 25 mph all the time so it is not very reasonable.