Ford Fusion Energi Forum

USB iPhone "draws too much power"

I just bought a 2015 Energi and tried to connect my iPhone to the USB connectors in the middle console.  My iPhone wouldn't start charging.  When I tried to change to the USB setting on the console, I received a message that it was "drawing too much power".  I'm using a certified Apple cable and it charges just fine in my wife's Toyota USB outlets and the other computer and standalone USB power outlets I have at my home.  I tried both of outlets, without success.  Any ideas?

I just bought a 2015 Energi and tried to connect my iPhone to the USB connectors in the middle console.  My iPhone wouldn't start charging.  When I tried to change to the USB setting on the console, I received a message that it was "drawing too much power".  I'm using a certified Apple cable and it charges just fine in my wife's Toyota USB outlets and the other computer and standalone USB power outlets I have at my home.  I tried both of outlets, without success.  Any ideas?

What is the output current rating on the power adapter (charger) that came with the iPhone?  A standard USB port supplies a maximum of 0.5 amps at 5 volts.  Some recent computers have at least one USB port that is designed to supply considerably more than 0.5 amp.

Plug the charger that came with the iPhone into the 110 volt AC outlet in the back seat.  That can handle up to 150 watts.

I generally use the 110v ports, but I also have a high power dual 12V plug, which I keep in the console, for those times when all four of us are in the car and need charging.

What bothers me is that you say it doesn't charge at all - there may be a connection problem with the USB port. Does it connect to the car audio system? If not, get it to the dealer to check it out.

I have an iPhone 6, and while it does work with the plugs in my console for both music playing and charging, it only charges VERY slowly. If your battery is very low, I'm not surprised it doesn't work. I'm sure it's capable of drawing at least a full amp (double the USB spec), and probably more. Newer iPads can draw up to 2.4 amps.

I do wish Ford had engineered these ports to be able to charge current gadgets.

It is an iPhone6.  What I forgot to do this morning, before going off to work, was to try a different cable.  The phone connects via Bluetooth just fine.  What I should also try to dig up, if the cable checks out, is my old iPod (try to vary the Apple device to see if it works).

Changing charging cables worked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...