Ford Fusion Energi Forum

ICE coming on... Why?

flyingcheesehead

• 3 weeks later...

What is the threshold for the ICE firing up based on climate? There have been times recently where, when I'm getting close to home, I'm either getting cold or the windshield is starting to fog up and I have more power in the HVB than I'm going to need to make it home. I want to run the heat/defrost from the HVB, but when I turn it on the ICE fires up. :( At first it'll say "Engine enabled due to Defrost setting" and if I turn off defrost it says "Engine enabled for system performance." I turned my set temp from 75 down to 72 which seems to help if the defrost is off.

I am in EV Now mode when this happens - Why won't it use up the energy in the HVB instead of firing up the ICE?

What is the threshold for the ICE firing up based on climate? There have been times recently where, when I'm getting close to home, I'm either getting cold or the windshield is starting to fog up and I have more power in the HVB than I'm going to need to make it home. I want to run the heat/defrost from the HVB, but when I turn it on the ICE fires up. :( At first it'll say "Engine enabled due to Defrost setting" and if I turn off defrost it says "Engine enabled for system performance." I turned my set temp from 75 down to 72 which seems to help if the defrost is off.

I am in EV Now mode when this happens - Why won't it use up the energy in the HVB instead of firing up the ICE?

The Defrost runs the compressor, which causes the ICE to kick in. It happens a lot in cold weather. We have to remember that while a battery stores well in the cold, it does not perform well in the cold.

It switched to "system performance" because once the ICE turns on, it has to warm up to a certain temperature to satisfy the air quality folks (heating up the catalytic converter). So even after you fixed the reason for the ICE coming on, it had to finish warming up.

If you want defrost only, turn the HVAC down to "LO" before selecting the defrost icon. This will not turn the ICE on.