Ford Fusion Energi Forum

New and need advice

Abright

I just got the 2015 fusion energi. I am brand new to EV. I have no idea what I am doing and trying to read up on as much as I can. One of my main goals for purchasing the car is to get the most MPG and not have to fill up much at gas station. Please give me advice on how to drive the car. I have been driving it in EV LATER mode thinking I was using only the electric charge, but I noticed my gas dwindling. I found out that this is actually the hybrid mode. So I switched to EV NOW mode just today thinking I'm only using the electric mode and no gas and I didn't notice the gas deplete. I am thinking this is the mode I should always start out in . My commute is 25 miles and flat to work on the freeway. Weekends is city driving. Should I be in auto mode instead to get best MPG? I don't thinking I'm doing this right and I'm not getting good mpg. Looking for help! Thank you!

EV Now forces electric mode.  It is perfect for driving around town.  The engine does not run at all.  On the freeway EV Later works best since at freeway speeds you will burn through the battery very quickly.  Leave your house is EV Now mode.  When you reach the freeway on ramp switch to EV Later.  When you reach the off ramp from the freeway switch back to EV Now for the low speed trip to work.

Do you have the ability to charge the car at work?

Auto mode uses the battery until it is exhausted and then switches to hybrid mode but the engine can start for any number of reasons.

In EV Now the engine will only start for extreme reasons like flooring the accelerator pedal.

I use EV Now all of the time since none of my normal driving involves a freeway.  In 2014 I used very little gasoline since I did not make any out of town trips using my Energi and the furthest destination is 10 miles away.

If you live in an area that gets cold the electric range will drop significantly with the heater in use.  Setting GO times can help with that but a 240 volt charger is needed for GO times to be of any value.

There is a lot to learn about the car.  I've had mine since April 2013 and I still find new facts even now.

There is a lot of information available in this forum. 

Welcome aboard.

Have you gotten connected to MyFord Mobile? There you can see your MPGe from trips in the Trip Log along with how much battery charge you used on each trip. Also, pay attention to the Trip Summary that appears when shutting down the car on the left dash screen. This will show you stats for your trip, however, this is MPG only. It'll say 999.9 if your trip was EV only. If it says anything less than 999.9 then you used gas on that trip.

Another tip is to watch your coaching bars. Try to accelerate smoothly & brake gently well in advance. This will improve your driving efficiency & this reduce your energy consumption (gas & electric).

Speed has a big impact on efficiency. How fast do you drive on the freeway? Going 65 vs 70 MPH is worth a couple MPG when driving in hybrid mode using gas. 65 vs 75 MPH is about 8 MPG difference.

Edited by Hybridbear