Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Making Sense of the Numbers

garymkrieg

Just filled up my 2015 Fusion Energi for the third time.  I use Trip 1 to record the statistics for each tank. Here what I saw this time:

3789.8 miles

346.2 MPG

515.0 EV

788 kWh

I put 11.671 gallons in at the time of this fill.

Now I know the EV and the kWh do not show the thousands digit, so I know that 515.0 EV is an incomplete number.  So how to I deduce the correct number?  I can put a 3 in front making it 3515 EV but if you then calculate the actual MPG while on gas it comes to 23 MPG and that seems very low.  If I put a 2 in front to make it 2515 EV it comes to 109 MPG while on gas and seems impossible.  I seem to be averaging 3-4.5 miles per kWh which using the 788 kWh that would calculate the EV to be between 2364 and 3546 EV miles.

What am I missing, how do I calculate the number of EV and non-EV miles from this data?

Gary

Just filled up my 2015 Fusion Energi for the third time.  I use Trip 1 to record the statistics for each tank. Here what I saw this time:

3789.8 miles

346.2 MPG

515.0 EV

788 kWh

I put 11.671 gallons in at the time of this fill.

Now I know the EV and the kWh do not show the thousands digit, so I know that 515.0 EV is an incomplete number.  So how to I deduce the correct number?  I can put a 3 in front making it 3515 EV but if you then calculate the actual MPG while on gas it comes to 23 MPG and that seems very low.  If I put a 2 in front to make it 2515 EV it comes to 109 MPG while on gas and seems impossible.  I seem to be averaging 3-4.5 miles per kWh which using the 788 kWh that would calculate the EV to be between 2364 and 3546 EV miles.

What am I missing, how do I calculate the number of EV and non-EV miles from this data?

Gary

EV miles include miles driven in Charge Depleting mode (EV Now or EV Auto), miles driven in Charge Sustaining Mode (EV Later) and miles driven in Hybrid mode. If you drove 500 highway miles you would likely have between 100 & 200 EV miles in that stretch, even if your kWh used was 0.00. It's likely based on your numbers that you had 3515.0 EV miles of the 3789.8 miles.

Based on your numbers you can calculate that the car reports 10.95 gallons used (3789.8 / 346.2). If you want to calculate MPGe you need to convert the kWh to eGallons. Take 788 / 33.7 and you get 23.38 eGallons. Add that to the 10.95 gallons of gas reported by the car & you get 34.33 "gallons" of combined gas & electric fuel. Take 3789.8 / 34.33 and you get 110.4 MPGe for this tank.

Edited by Hybridbear

EV miles are the number of miles driven when the ICE was not running.  It is not the number of EV miles driven using plug-in energy.  Some of those EV miles were the result of the ICE charging the HVB.  There is no way to separate EV miles into EV miles from plug-in energy vs. EV miles resulting from the ICE charging the HVB.

It is incorrect to compute MPG as non-EV miles divided by gas consumed.  If you started with an empty HVB, you would still get EV miles.  The ICE charges the HVB.  Then the ICE turns off and the car consumes the charge stored in the HVB and reports those miles driven as EV miles.  MPG is then the total miles driven (including EV miles when the ICE was off) divided by gallons of gas consumed. 

So I guess I'm confused.  If I wanted to calculate my MPG for the ICE, ie like the car were a regular hybrid not an Energi, I assume that I would subtract the 3515.0 EV miles from the total 3789.8 miles and divide by the gallons used.  That would put me at 23.5 MPG based on adding 11.671 gallons when I filled up.  That seems a bit low.

Gary

No, because like larryh said, even a regular hybrid has ev miles. Some of those 3500 ev miles came from kw and some came from gasoline. There is not enough information, or the information is not specific enough (which ev miles came from plugging in and which came from normal hybrid operations), on the trip meters to calculate mpg for the hybrid portion of this 3700 mile trip.

If you want to figure an average mpg for your driving style while you're driving in hybrid mode (ev range depleted or ev later) you'll need to track trips that are driven in hybrid mode. Or, in other words, trips that have 0 kw reported on the trips.

So I guess I'm confused. If I wanted to calculate my MPG for the ICE, ie like the car were a regular hybrid not an Energi, I assume that I would subtract the 3515.0 EV miles from the total 3789.8 miles and divide by the gallons used. That would put me at 23.5 MPG based on adding 11.671 gallons when I filled up. That seems a bit low.

Gary

23.5 MPG for the miles the ICE ran sounds about right since the ICE is usually under a heavy load to charge the HVB when it's on. You just have to remember that you didn't drive 274.8 miles with the ICE running consecutively getting 23.5 MPG. Those ICE miles were likely spread out over about 500-550 odometer miles. Edited by Hybridbear