Ford Fusion Energi Forum

My first (shorter) road trip

Russael

I have taken my Energi on the highway for an extended amount of time for the first time yesterday.  I drove 305 miles to my destination and will return on Thursday.

All miles except around 5 were in EV Later (hybrid) mode.

The car far exceeded my economy expectations.

post-185-0-58278000-1441151894_thumb.jpg

The break in the trip is a rest stop.  :)

I had the cruise set to 65, but most of it was probably spent at 63 or 62, following trucks in the right lane.  I drove with A/C at 70 with recirculate turned on.  I traveled west, so I'm sure there was some wind, and it's usually a headwind going that way.  Weather was around 84F.

Once I hit Indiana through my IL destination, the speed limit drops to 55, so I dropped my speed to 60, but apparently the speed limit is optional as most everyone was still doing 75 to 80... sport bike blew my doors off probably doing 140.

I still have half a tank of gas, so I'm going to try to make my return trip using what I have left.  All of my in-city travel here is 4 miles per day and I saved my battery for this, so we'll see how I do on the way back.

It just goes to show if you drive a hybrid like a hybrid, you can get some awesome numbers out of it. :)

I still have half a tank of gas, so I'm going to try to make my return trip using what I have left.  All of my in-city travel here is 4 miles per day and I saved my battery for this, so we'll see how I do on the way back.

I'm sure you can find charging too. Either via an outlet outside your hotel or via free public charging.

And my return trip.

Started at 97F, dropped to 67F at the end when It decided to rain the last 30 miles or so.  Low fuel light came on 25 miles from home.  Hasn't turned red yet, but it's certainly close.  Says I have 37 miles of Hybrid range left.  I'm not too sure about that.  I'll fill'er up today and see how much fuel it requires.

Had 6 miles of battery left, which I enabled once I hopped off the freeway to make my way to the house, which was just enough to put it in Hybrid mode and half drain that when I rolled in the garage.

post-185-0-88965300-1441368824_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I had to go back for another trip to Lisle, IL for more training.  Did a touch better than before... 52MPGe there, 55MPGe back.  Return trip was upper 70's to start which went to mid 60s near the end, kept speed to about 60, no A/C, and followed a tractor trailer most of the way with ACC set to 1 bar.

All in all... a whopping 4% difference between AC and no AC and trying to stretch every drop of gas out of it.

Still... 55MPGe.  That's insane for a big car like the Fusion.  That's Prius economy again. :)  

30% over the Fusion sticker for highway MPG.

I had to go back for another trip to Lisle, IL for more training.  Did a touch better than before... 52MPGe there, 55MPGe back.  Return trip was upper 70's to start which went to mid 60s near the end, kept speed to about 60, no A/C, and followed a tractor trailer most of the way with ACC set to 1 bar.

All in all... a whopping 4% difference between AC and no AC and trying to stretch every drop of gas out of it.

Still... 55MPGe.  That's insane for a big car like the Fusion.  That's Prius economy again. :)

30% over the Fusion sticker for highway MPG.

I am thrilled for you brother!  My Energi is soooo far exceeding my expectations.  Like you said, you drive it right, it will do better than expected.  

Well done!  :)

I refilled the car with gas yesterday.  Once again, 11.75 gallons.  Only difference this time is I drove an additional 22 miles in Hybrid mode while over in IL to head over to my managers office to pick up my plague (my 10 year plaque... he misspelled it on his request to come get it).

I kind of wonder if there may be a way to hit the elusive 60MPGe (in hybrid mode) over a long trip.  But I'm not all that willing to risk 55MPH on the highway.  Hahahaha.  I'll follow something going that slow, but being solo?  Nope.  And definitely not in IL.  Those people are insane. :lol:

Edited by Russael

I am working on that and have come close to it.  I like taking secondary roads (old US highways and State highways), most secondary highways out here are 55 MPH so it makes it easy.  I have done 59 over 250 miles.  If/when I break the 60 MPG barrier will will post pics.

I think it is very doable!   :happy feet: