Ford Fusion Energi Forum

EGallon cost

lonzo71

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

With out the ability to add your own particular electricity rate, this site is worthless.     It also wrongly continues the misconception  that using electricity is always cheaper than using gasoline. 

What would really be helpful is for public charging sites to post an eGallon price that they're charging.

With out the ability to add your own particular electricity rate, this site is worthless.     It also wrongly continues the misconception  that using electricity is always cheaper than using gasoline. 

And also that the only cost difference between driving on gas vs. electric is the fuel cost (be it gas or electricity).

In reality, I think the lower maintenance may end up being just as significant.

• 2 weeks later...

http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2016/01/f28/eGallon%20methodology%20%28Updated%20January%202016%29.pdf

"

The “eGallon”

How much does it cost to drive an EV the same distance you could go on one

gallon of gas?

was updated 1/2016

That depends on what you pay for electricity.  My electricity comes from solar panels so it costs me nothing.

• 2 months later...

How does that work? I do most of my charging after sundown (when solar panels don't produce electricity).

I generate electricity all day on a sunny day.  What I don't use is fed to the power company.  At night I get it back from the power company on a 1 for 1 basis.   In other words the power company is like a 100% efficient battery.  It's called net metering plus my power company does not have tiered rates.  Power costs the same 24/7.  My production varies between 0 when the panels are covered with snow to the most I have ever generated in one day which was 67 kWh.  It's better in the summer with the longer days.  I have had as much as 1200 kWh banked with the power company.