Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Ford Teases New Fusion Energi, Releases Some Details About New Focus Electric

Hybridbear

I'm excited to see where it's going, but not enough to consider trading in mine for another one.  I'm very happy with the one I have.  I don't see a need to upgrade.  Yet.  

I'd love to upgrade my Expo for a new Expo or an F150 Lariat with the 2.7L... those new ones are amazing... which is why I refuse to test drive any of them.  That's how they get ya. :)  Friggin 63k for the Expo I'd want or 57K for the F150.  KBB trade on mine is a whopping 2500 bucks.  Yeah no.

40 seams a bit high, considering the room they have. They may be conservative and leave more room in the trunk. 40 would be nice though. I would expect something similar or a tad higher than the new Sonata PHEV. If they leave the same range, but leave more room in the trunk, I might still be disappointed. I think they are going to have to do both (range and room), but that could be challenging.

Why not rock the industry with a Fusion BEV!!! I don't think anyone was expecting the Fusion plug-in, when they rolled it out at the car show in 2012.

• 3 weeks later...

Why not rock the industry with a Fusion BEV!!! I don't think anyone was expecting the Fusion plug-in, when they rolled it out at the car show in 2012.

That'd be cool. If they took out all the ICE-related crap, they could stuff a much bigger battery in. Do some more redesign and get the battery on the bottom like a Tesla with all the safety benefits that gives, and I'd be interested again.

So does anyone think they will announce a plug in SUV at the Detroit auto show?

That'd be nice, and another thing that'd make me look (my other car is an Edge), but I doubt it. :(

That'd be cool. If they took out all the ICE-related crap, they could stuff a much bigger battery in. Do some more redesign and get the battery on the bottom like a Tesla with all the safety benefits that gives, and I'd be interested again.

That'd be nice, and another thing that'd make me look (my other car is an Edge), but I doubt it. :(

I've often wondered why manufacturers don't just remove the ICE and pop in batteries, so I did some research.

I looked up some average specs on ICE engine weight. The V6 weighs at around 350 lbs. The extra batteries in the FFE weigh 300lbs, and provide 20 miles. If you swapped the ICE for batteries in the engine bay, the car would still be balanced for weight, but it would only provide another 20 miles. And they would most likely have to go to active cooling, adding more weight. So you might have a car that goes 40 miles on a good day, but would also cost another 4-5K and not be competitive.

If Ford was serious about a BEV, they would build one from scratch and design everything right. So far they think the economics would not justify the expense. With gas prices this low, and last year having excellent heavy vehicle sales (which have great profit margins), I don't see this happening.

Edited by stevedebi