Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2017 Fusion Build and Price

Energized

Since Ford evidently didn't improve the range (other than vague comments about a more efficient electric engine and software updates that could potentially use more of the battery pack) or the trunk, it looks like their only answer so far to the Hyundai and the Chevy with their better ranges and trunks was to further drop the price:

Energi SE

2016   $33,900

2017   $33,120

Energi Titanium

2016   $35,730

2017   $34,120

I think many of us would have rather seen the price stay the same and have them improve the electric range and trunk layout.  Ford is talking about spending $4.5 billion by 2020 on electrification but it seems that little of this was spent on the 2017 Fusion.  Instead we get a 325hp non-hybrid offering which will be really useful if the goal is to create extra pollution while sitting in rush hour traffic.  Here is to hoping they get it right next time.

Since Ford evidently didn't improve the range (other than vague comments about a more efficient electric engine and software updates that could potentially use more of the battery pack) or the trunk, it looks like their only answer so far to the Hyundai and the Chevy with their better ranges and trunks was to further drop the price:

Energi SE

2016   $33,900

2017   $33,120

Energi Titanium

2016   $35,730

2017   $34,120

I think many of us would have rather seen the price stay the same and have them improve the electric range and trunk layout.  Ford is talking about spending $4.5 billion by 2020 on electrification but it seems that little of this was spent on the 2017 Fusion.  Instead we get a 325hp non-hybrid offering which will be really useful if the goal is to create extra pollution while sitting in rush hour traffic.  Here is to hoping they get it right next time.

At least that 325HP sport version can go to 0 to freeway speeds faster than a turbo 4 cyl.  Wheeee!!!  "Look!  I can out-accelerate you!"  And then they'll be the ones to cry the loudest when gas prices return to 4 or 5 bucks a gallon.

If it were possible at this point, I'd never buy a straight gasoline vehicle again.  I want a Tesla X to replace my Expedition, but the price is way out of my range.  I'd love a Tesla S to replace my Energi, but again at 100k, that's way too far out of my price range.

I do wonder what the take rate will be for the Fusion Sport.  I mostly see 1.6 or 1.5L Ecoboost Fusions with the 2.5 NA following that, followed by the 2L turbo, and then the electrified ones (hybrid/Energi).

I see many more CMAXes floating around which I think is awesome.  At least those are all electrified in some way.

At least the individuals who screamed about a lack of V6 when the 2013 Fusion came around will finally get their motor back. :)

One thing I noticed in building and pricing is that you can get the Titanium with every option that the Platinum has for $2,520 less.....so the ONLY thing you are paying extra for with the platinum is a honeycombed grille (I like the slat grille better) and the upgraded leather (which personally I don't like because it isn't available in black).  Is that REALLY worth $2,500?  At least they could have included on the Platinum the lowered rocker panels and dual exhaust outlets (or COVERED exhaust since this is an electrified vehicle) for an additional $2,520.

The other thing I noticed is that comparing a Titanium Hybrid to a Titanium Energi, it's only about $2,500 (optioned out the same) - $3,500 less (base package only).....SO with $4,700 federal rebate, an equally optioned Energi Titanium is over $1,000-$2,000 LESS than the Hybrid.  Why on earth would anyone buy the Fusion Hybrid, unless they just get the base S (not available in Energi) or basic optioned SE model?

If Ford would properly market the Energi (and dealerships force their salesman to educate themselves) the Energi would far outsell the Hybrid. Why would anyone spend MORE for a Hybrid that at best will NEVER average over 45-50 MPG when they could have an equally optioned PHEV for LESS MONEY that would average ~ 70 MPG to 100+ MPG (depending on your city/hwy mix of driving)?  Are you listening Ford management?  Do you even care? 

Edited by EnergiCCAATS

One thing I noticed in building and pricing is that you can get the Titanium with every option that the Platinum has for $2,520 less.....so the ONLY thing you are paying extra for with the platinum is a honeycombed grille (I like the slat grille better) and the upgraded leather (which personally I don't like because it isn't available in black).  Is that REALLY worth $2,500?  At least they could have included on the Platinum the lowered rocker panels and dual exhaust outlets (or COVERED exhaust since this is an electrified vehicle) for an additional $2,520.

The other thing I noticed is that comparing a Titanium Hybrid to a Titanium Energi, it's only about $2,500 (optioned out the same) - $3,500 less (base package only).....SO with $4,700 federal rebate, an equally optioned Energi Titanium is over $1,000-$2,000 LESS than the Hybrid.  Why on earth would anyone buy the Fusion Hybrid, unless they just get the base S (not available in Energi) or basic optioned SE model?

If Ford would properly market the Energi (and dealerships force their salesman to educate themselves) the Energi would far outsell the Hybrid. Why would anyone spend MORE for a Hybrid that at best will NEVER average over 45-50 MPG when they could have an equally optioned PHEV for LESS MONEY that would average ~ 70 MPG to 100+ MPG (depending on your city/hwy mix of driving)?  Are you listening Ford management?  Do you even care? 

As to why someone would choose the hybrid, I suspect that some folks cannot live with the reduced trunk of the Energi. I know that is why many people chose the C-Max over the C-Max Energi.

As to why someone would choose the hybrid, I suspect that some folks cannot live with the reduced trunk of the Energi. I know that is why many people chose the C-Max over the C-Max Energi.

Agreed, although in real use we have found it to be quite acceptable for weekend trips with a family of 5.

Wait a second,  am I reading this right?......the Energi Titanium also includes standard ACC (with new full braking and stop and go) and (Enhanced) Park Assist?

Those were big ticket options on the 2013,  $895 for Park Assist (unenhanced) and $995 for ACC (without full braking/stop and go).

That makes the 2017 about $7870 cheaper than the 2013 with LED headlights, LED fogs, enhanced noise cancellation, more stereo speakers and 10 way power passenger seat thrown in for free.

Wait a second,  am I reading this right?......the Energi Titanium also includes standard ACC (with new full braking and stop and go) and (Enhanced) Park Assist?

Those were big ticket options on the 2013,  $895 for Park Assist (unenhanced) and $995 for ACC (without full braking/stop and go).

That makes the 2017 about $7870 cheaper than the 2013 with LED headlights, LED fogs, enhanced noise cancellation, more stereo speakers and 10 way power passenger seat thrown in for free.

I noticed that the ACC option was missing from the selection list while messing with it today... went back and looked at the standard items and was REALLY surprised to see ACC was now included in the Ti package.  As a result, the only options I would've added were the moonroof with garage door opener, cooled seats, and NAV.  Nice to see that my 43680 sticker dropped to around 37280k before tax credits.

I'm rather miffed that the heated steering wheel is bundled with the driver assist package.  

Edited by Russael

It seems they have to drop the price if they hope for continued sales against the Hyundai and Chevy options that offer better ranges and trunks, and make the Energi much less competitive.  

I factory-ordered a 2016 Fusion Energi Ti back in October (before the Hyundai was available) with a promised delivery date in December but it never arrived.  It sounds like the Energis stopped being built and when production starts again it will be for the 2017s in Spring.  Accordingly, we were advised that the car would not show up until April but it would be a 2017 model.  Having to wait 6 months for a factory order seems absurd but with the pre 1/11 tease the assumption was we would be getting a new model with presumably a better range and/or trunk.  Finding neither was accomplished added insult to injury and has resulted in our seriously considering the Hyundai and Chevy.  That said, Ford lowering the price by ~$2000 and including ACC, Park Assist, and LED lights (my wife is thrilled with these on her MKZ Hybrid) might convince us to stick with the Energi.  Certainly, if they hadn't done a large price drop we could really no longer consider the Energi in 2016 given the competition, and I imagine any new purchaser would feel the same.  

At least that 325HP sport version can go to 0 to freeway speeds faster than a turbo 4 cyl.  Wheeee!!!  "Look!  I can out-accelerate you!"  And then they'll be the ones to cry the loudest when gas prices return to 4 or 5 bucks a gallon.

And they still can't out-accelerate a used Model S which could be purchased for about the same price...

Maybe because in states like California, it costs more to drive on electricity than it does on unleaded.  

That's not actually true. We still have $3.00 gas (in Los Angeles, at least). One $3 gallon of 87 Regular will give me 35-40 miles, while a full $0.75 charge (overnight at time-of-use rates) will give me 18-20 miles. So it's $3 gas vs. $1.50 electricity for the same distance. And for those of us with solar panels, it's even less expensive.

And they still can't out-accelerate a used Model S which could be purchased for about the same price...

But... the sound of a turbo V6!  It must go VROOOM when the accelerator is stomped on! :)  It's fun and exciting!

And a used Model S still seems to be at least 10k more than that.  Least expensive Model S on Tesla's site is 47k.

But... the sound of a turbo V6!  It must go VROOOM when the accelerator is stomped on! :)  It's fun and exciting!

And a used Model S still seems to be at least 10k more than that.  Least expensive Model S on Tesla's site is 47k.

But when you compare the cost of gas for that V6 versus the cost of electricity for a Model S then it's no comparison.

But when you compare the cost of gas for that V6 versus the cost of electricity for a Model S then it's no comparison.

But how many people look at it in that way?  Most of the time I hear, "Oh, that battery is so expensive and will need to be replaced..."  Besides, many people look at the up front cost and don't think about the maintenance costs, which in reality, are stretching further and further.  Oil changes used to be 3k.  Now they're around 10k.  Transmission fluid used to be 30k.  Now it's 150k.  And yeah, others have done cost analysis between gasoline and electrons, and you can find an argument for both ways depending on which side of the fence you're on.  It is getting less expensive to run a traditional gasoline car.

For me, I want a Tesla in the worst way...  I follow their news blurbs, follow articles on Google Now about Tesla and how they're doing... they're an exciting company to me.  I'm not an environmentalist by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like the idea of recycling and driving on electricity.  I want solar panels for the house (because I don't like the electric bill), and being able to drive for free, up until the battery wears out, is appealing to me.

So, why would a person buy a turbo V6 Fusion over a Fusion Energi?  It depends on what is most important to them.  Performance?  Economy?  Noise?  "Fun Factor"?  If it were up to me, I would be accelerating hybrids, plugins, and EVs as much as I could (and I do... I always bring up an electrified vehicle when someone mentions, "new car").  But that's also the problem with a dealer franchise - they can choose what they want to push.  You're not shopping at Ford... you're shopping at a location that sells Ford.  That's a massive reason I like the Tesla business model.  Too bad the Michigan Governor decided to sign a bill preventing Tesla from building here.  Ridiculous franchise fee BS.

Edited by Russael

That's not actually true. We still have $3.00 gas (in Los Angeles, at least). One $3 gallon of 87 Regular will give me 35-40 miles, while a full $0.75 charge (overnight at time-of-use rates) will give me 18-20 miles. So it's $3 gas vs. $1.50 electricity for the same distance. And for those of us with solar panels, it's even less expensive.

Actually its painfully true and has been for a while now.  

The TOU rates are not economically feasible as the electric company trades lower rates at super-off-peak hours for higher rates than one would normally be paying during the rest of the times.  Heads they win...tails the customer loses.

The price of gas needs to be in the $4 range ($4.51 in my case) before a break even point is reached.  Even higher when using public charging stations.

I live in LA, and my cost to charge is about $2 per day. TOU is of no use to me, since my kids are home during the summer and use the AC.

And electricity rates are going up.

Agreed, although in real use we have found it to be quite acceptable for weekend trips with a family of 5.

I agree, trunk space has never been an issue for me in the almost 3 years of ownership.

I personally prefer the battery to be in the trunk, rather than intruding into the passenger compartment like the Volt. 

The Platinum also includes a Power Tilt and Power Telescoping steering column with memory which isn't an option on the Titanium from what I can tell.

Additionally the Platinum also has a higher grade of leather than the Titanium on the seats, console, doors, console armrest and steering wheel.   The seats and doors have a contrasting piping.

Instead of a plastic instrument panel, the Platinum wraps the instrument panel in the same premium leather as the rest of the car.  That treatment includes stitching and continues down the console rails. 

A premium trunk mat and premium floor mats are included.

http://imguol.com/c/entretenimento/76/2016/01/12/ford-fusion-platinum-2017-1452641149825_786x500.png

Edited by Energized

I have to agree with a lot of posts here that I was very disappointed with the 2017 Fusion announcement, and all announcements Ford made for the 2017 model year. Now that my car is three years old, I'm thinking of whats next. I thought for sure they would be announcing some sort of Energi SUV (Escape or Edge) or at the very least increase the range and reposition the battery in the Fusion.. either would have enticed me enough to trade my car in, but now I have to look elsewhere.

After having a plug-in, I won't ever go back to a ICE car again - which means my market of potential vehicles is pretty small. If Ford had read their customers better, they would have realized that many Plug-in owners are new to the Ford Brand, and loyal to plug-in cars, and create a market to keep them in the brand. But there is nothing new in their offerings for 2017.

I have to agree with a lot of posts here that I was very disappointed with the 2017 Fusion announcement, and all announcements Ford made for the 2017 model year. Now that my car is three years old, I'm thinking of whats next. I thought for sure they would be announcing some sort of Energi SUV (Escape or Edge) or at the very least increase the range and reposition the battery in the Fusion.. either would have enticed me enough to trade my car in, but now I have to look elsewhere.

After having a plug-in, I won't ever go back to a ICE car again - which means my market of potential vehicles is pretty small. If Ford had read their customers better, they would have realized that many Plug-in owners are new to the Ford Brand, and loyal to plug-in cars, and create a market to keep them in the brand. But there is nothing new in their offerings for 2017.

I like the improvements to the 2017 and will be replacing my 2013 Titanium with a Platinum at the end of my lease this Spring.

I follow battery news pretty closely so I had no expectation of a break through in battery range, nor would it really interest me since running on electricity is so much more expensive than gasoline.   The new electric motors on the 2017 are supposed to be more efficient but any increase in efficiency will still be offset by the widening cost of using electricity over gasoline.

Lets face it, the EV market never materialized the way some manufacturers expected.  I expect last years decline in EV market share will get even worse with gas price falling dramatically concurrent with increasing electricity rates and expensive public charging stations.

I'm happy Ford chose to pass along the savings from lower battery costs to the consumer.  The 2017 offers a huge value proposition, $8K less than my 2013 while offering increased content and capabilities.

As for an Energi Escape, I don't know why Ford would bother since the C-Max is the same platform and format as the Escape.  With plug-in sales declining, it would seem a waste for Ford to increase beyond the 3 plug-in models they already have.   Nissan, Honda, Toyota are all stuck at one (or zero) models, Chevrolet at two, I can't envision the need for Ford to have 4 or more models in the current environment.   More models chasing a declining market does not seem like a good business proposition.  We'll see what happens with Ford's investment of $5Billion in new EVs arriving over the next few years.   So far Ford seems to have demonstrated a more realistic approach to plug-in marketplace than companies like Nissan or GM have, so perhaps they will actually succeed with a positive ROI on that $5B investment, we'll see.

Edited by Energized

Actually its painfully true and has been for a while now.  

The TOU rates are not economically feasible as the electric company trades lower rates at super-off-peak hours for higher rates than one would normally be paying during the rest of the times.  Heads they win...tails the customer loses.

The price of gas needs to be in the $4 range ($4.51 in my case) before a break even point is reached.  Even higher when using public charging stations.

I don't quite understand your response, but math is math. $1.50 is less than $3.00, therefore I'm paying 50% less using electricity than gas. Not my fault if others can't take advantage of TOS rates and don't have solar panels.

Edited by Blastphemy