Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Question for those with high mileage Energi's

Platinum15Ti

Thinking about buying my car at the end of the lease, but slightly curious about battery life and higher mileage.

I realize the Gen 2 Fusions have only been out for 3 years...

Who has the most miles and what issues (if any) have you had?

Has the battery life deteriorated? Has anyone had to replace batteries?

The battery is warranted for 8 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first. I think it is even higher in California.

Sure, but the warranty only covers that the battery functions. The warranty allows for degradation. There are people who only get 4.5kWh (in the summer) from their battery after less than two years and 60000 miles and ford does nothing. The warranty is irrelevant when discussing battery life.

Edited by openair

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi there

I'm considering purchasing my parent's 2014 Fusion Energi. It has 100,000 miles and is well kept. They did a brake replacement but otherwise have had no other large repairs or accidents. They aren't sure how long the electric battery would last. How much would a battery replacement be if needed? Could you drive it without the replacement just using it as a regular car using gasoline? If the battery is still operable, can you still drive it on gas only? We would rely on public charging stations as we live in a city so don't have a garage at this point.

Edited by ederhale

It's anybody's guess as to how long the battery will last.  Batteries have lifetime limits in both charging cycles and calendar days.  However it is not an exact science as to 'your battery will die at precisely xxx days or yyy miles or zzz charges'  My 2015 is well cared for and has 97k miles.  I can get up to 30 miles per charge around town, closer to 20 on the highway.  Some owners like above have over 200k miles on them and are still going.  As long as the battery doesn't completely die, you can always just drive it on gas as a hybrid.  I'm not 100% sure, but suspect if the battery truly dies you will not have an ICE car, you will have no car at all. 

Replacement batteries for the Energi are around $7k plus installation last I checked, so they are not cheap.

Edited by jsamp

While the car would still work as a regular hybrid with a severely deteriorated battery, It's probably detrimental to the wallet at that point since many states (e.g. here in OH) impose additional taxes on PHEVs/BEVs which makes it more expensive to own than a HEV. As long as the miles afforded by the added EV range of the PHEV save me enough on gas to recoup that added cost, it's worth keeping around.

As far as battery replacement, I actually found these guys a week or so ago - under $4k. Hmm...

https://www.besthybridbatteries.com/products/ford-fusion-energi-2013-2018-plugin-hybrid-battery