Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Modem in Car 3G Upgrade?

PJFW8

A friend has a 2015 Lincoln MKC. There is a current recall or upgrade campaign to replace the current ATT 2G modem with a 3G modem. The modem is part of the Lincoln version My Ford Mobile. I assume 2013-2016 Fusion Energi's and CMax Energi's have 2G modems. Any word of an upgrade? ATT is in the process of shutting 2G service off. I would note that Tesla upgraded from 3G to LTE in spring of 2015. Loss of the embedded modem would severely reduce the unique capability of our Energi's.

• 3 weeks later...

So it is 2G and its included for 5 years. Canada's 2G sunset is in 2018. Bought mine in 2015. So to the dealer for a new module soon?

"MyFord Mobile subscription complimentary for five years from vehicle sale date as recorded by the dealer. Subscription fees apply after five years. MyFord Mobile requires a compatible 2G independent cellular network. Evolving technology and cellular networks may affect future functionality."

Edited by expresspotato

Is Ford still monitoring this forum? It's a little disappointing that they haven't responded in this thread.

Checking this and similar sites, Ford is currently upgrading 2015 (and 2016?) MKC's at no cost. The upgrade is being planned for CMax and Fusion Energi's. Don't count on it being free! I have a 2016 so I am hoping it will be. My educated guess is late Summer. The Ford Staff monitoring this site have very limited authority outside of their job description and often have no more access to info than we do. They can help and have helped me more than once. Perhaps they could help with a status update on the MKC program?

Edited by PJFW8

Checking this and similar sites, Ford is currently upgrading 2015 (and 2016?) MKC's at no cost. The upgrade is being planned for CMax and Fusion Energi's. Don't count on it being free! I have a 2016 so I am hoping it will be. My educated guess is late Summer. The Ford Staff monitoring this site have very limited authority outside of their job description and often have no more access to info than we do. They can help and have helped me more than once. Perhaps they could help with a status update on the MKC program?

My 2014 C-Max came with 5 years of services, I believe. That means if the 2g shuts down, Ford is on the hook to upgrade the modems. But maybe that doesn't include MFM service, only the "call in" services.

My 2014 C-Max came with 5 years of services, I believe. That means if the 2g shuts down, Ford is on the hook to upgrade the modems. But maybe that doesn't include MFM service, only the "call in" services.

Let's hope they do it right and stand by their product - there are more and more EV and PHEV alternatives popping up (though none that I can recall recently announced from Ford) so while we will be getting another car about a year from now, and 99% chance it will be a PHEV or EV, it surely won't be a Ford if they say that our current car has coverage for 5 years and then backtracks on that.

• 4 months later...

If you can find the "Information" screen on the touchscreen (I don't know where it is on a Fusion) then there should be an item that says something like CPPM ESN. The old modems started with a "N", the new ones appear to start with a "T". The Ford website still says you need a 2G connection.

The good news is my "Onboard Modem Serial Number (ESN)" starts with "T5C..." so that would indicate that the 2017 Fusion has a new one.

This is from Ford's web site for the 2017 Fusion Energi:

**MyFord Mobile subscription complimentary for five years from the vehicle sale date as recorded by the dealer. Subscription fees apply after five years. MyFord Mobile requires a compatible 2.5G independent cellular network. Evolving technology and cellular networks may affect future availability and functionality. Text and data rates apply to usage.

• 3 weeks later...

At this time, AT&T has completed much of the shutdown of their 2G networks. It seems the myfraud mobile system is down now for all 2G folks. :( RIP, it was handy while it lasted. And Ford is still advertising myfraud mobile to market their cars! :nonono:  I understand the 2017s will be the first with 3G. :banghead:

When you look at AT&T coverage maps, like this one  

http://www.sensorly.com/map/2G-3G/US/USA/ATandT-Mobility/gsm_310410/New+York#q=Miami%2C+FL%2C+USA|coverage

2G is in blue on this map. You'll see very few spots of blue in most areas. Attached is the New York City area. There's not much blue left. In major metro areas 2G is almost gone. You can feel smug about being one of the few lucky ones, but your time will come soon, December at the latest. Ford has known about this since 2012 and done nothing. Other car companies have moved to 3 or 4G modems. 

post-2316-0-21982000-1472692808_thumb.jpeg