Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Modem in Car 3G Upgrade?

PJFW8

That map is showing what type of service your phone is locked on to and reports that.  2G is available there, but since 3G is also available, most phones stay locked on that and report back as 3G.  Because the system blends 2G-3G in to the same map, you never really see where 2G is.

I can report that Detroit still has 2G.

I seem to recall the car having the ability to connect to home WiFi, but I also recall that functionality being very limited. I know I could search around and figure this out, but maybe someone already knows. Can the MFM stuff leverage a home WiFi connection for setting Go Times, etc?

No.

The WiFi connection only provides a source of WiFi for the passengers.  However as soon as you drive away it all stops working. 

Detroit does indeed have a few spots of 2G left on the northeast side. I'm happy for you (smug?) 2G survivors, but the point is moot. In the coming weeks it will all go away. Ford has known about this issue for 4 years and done nothing. In a few months only the Lincoln Folks will have MyFord Mobile. Rumor has it that Ford will begin to make updated modems available to Ford owners, but the Lincoln program is far behind schedule, so who knows.

Detroit does indeed have a few spots of 2G left on the northeast side. I'm happy for you (smug?) 2G survivors, but the point is moot. In the coming weeks it will all go away. Ford has known about this issue for 4 years and done nothing. In a few months only the Lincoln Folks will have MyFord Mobile. Rumor has it that Ford will begin to make updated modems available to Ford owners, but the Lincoln program is far behind schedule, so who knows.

Not smug at all. Just lucky.

I just looked at an AT&T map. It showed pretty much continuous coverage here out west, except for the extreme desert areas. All of California was showing 2G capability. Having said that, there are reports over on the C-Max Energi forum of it stopping working in Sacramento and Merced.

I'll certainly complain if my service ceases- they promised 5 years of service when I bought the vehicle in 2014.

I have pretty low expectations regarding availability timing. Our lease is up next June and I'd be surprised if we're able to have it replaced before then.

• 3 weeks later...

I just received a call from a representative from Ford in regards to the modem in my 2013 Fusion Energi.  I have been having trouble with connection and even getting the second confirmation to appear.  He told me that Ford will be sending a letter out in the next 1-2 months regarding a free modem replacement/upgrade.  He said they are building up adequate stock at this time in order for them to make the update to the vehicles.  This comes as welcome news to me as I have had very spotty/poor connection and data collection.

Edited by paulsen68

• 4 weeks later...

Ford motor company MyFord mobile team. I had been working with them prior as I was having a lot of connection issues.

In that case the program hasn't started yet.  I expect they will get around to it about the middle of December.  It is disappointing that they are going to 3G since that won't be around for much longer either.  All of the carriers are pushing LTE.

Didn't the Fusion Energi Owners get the FSA for the modem replacement loaded into their owner.ford.com accounts?  Both my 2015 C-Max Energi and my 2014 Focus Electric got this

• FSA Title: EMBEDDED MODEM REPLACEMENT
  • Field Service Action Number: 15N04

Check your owner.ford.com account, the reports on the C-Max Energi forum is that the modems are available and the replacements are working much better than the 2G units.

Edited by cwstnsko

Didn't the Fusion Energi Owners get the FSA for the modem replacement loaded into their owner.ford.com accounts?  Both my 2015 C-Max Energi and my 2014 Focus Electric got this

Check your owner.ford.com account, the reports on the C-Max Energi forum is that the modems are available and the replacements are working much better than the 2G units.

Thanks for pointing this out.  I'm bringing my car in on Friday for 30K mile service and will see if they will get this done as well.  It does show in my owner account.

Thanks for the tip, I just checked my account and it is now listed there.

•