Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Ford Doctor

So I have looked in my owner's guide and in the workshop manual and I cannot find specifications for using the USB drive in my 2016 FFE. So I am wondering if the USB drive supports USB-3 or nor before I go and purchase a dedicated thumb drive for my car to store my music on. Anyone know or is there another publication I have overlooked? USB-3 is backward compatible and I have read that people are using USB-3 drives but I was wondering if this system can even take advantage of the faster data rate... or will it make no difference? And of course, there seems to be a limit of storage size before the system becomes slow to index or respond. Recommendations? :headscratch:

Edited by Ford Doctor

Currently, all USB standards are backward compatible with each other.  It will simply read and write at the ports fastest speed, depending on the limitation of the device itself too.

Considering you'll only be streaming music from it, that'd work fine at USB 1.1 standards.  The only advantage of getting a faster USB drive is loading music on to it from your computer more quickly.

I agree with Russael, there is an advantage in loading the music onto the stick with the USB 3 stick (what I use). As far as speed of indexing goes, it is very important to ensure that your tags are complete. If you have missing tags the system seems to struggle to index the device especially on large number of files. 

I have a Sandisk Cruzer 32GB drive.  It is USB 2.0, but they do have a new, low profile USB 3.0 model.

The one I have:  http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive--SDCZ33-032G-B35/dp/B00812F7O8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1462154148&sr=8-6&keywords=sandisk+usb+32gb

All of my computers are ancient.  Only one of them has a USB 3.0 port.  lol

I ended up with a Lexar 64Gb  USB3 Low Profile drive which is out of the way in my console. Totally recommend using the "compact" or "micro" drives. Was already FAT32 and seems to work just dandy. I don't bother with playlists. I take entire CD's and load them, play them... and yes, downloading music from my library to the drive was fairly quick considering the size of the data I transferred.  My entire collection at this time is CD's that were imported using iTunes and then I simply copied the files from my iTunes Music folder to my USB drive.  

Edited by Ford Doctor