Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Rear Camera not working intermittently

Ben Bruce

When I put it in reverse I get a black screen and after a few seconds a message pops up that says Camera unavailable at this time, contact Ford Service (not exact text).

This happens for a day or two every time I put it in reverse and then it will work fine for several days.  Been going back and forth without any predictability.

Anyone else have a problem like this?

Ben

What year is your car?  Do you have the most recent version of MFT SYNC?  Could it be a loose fuse? 

it's a 2014.  

Not sure how to check current MFT SYNC and is this something that I need to update manually or does it happen automatically?  

Loose fuse seems unlikely but I will check.  Thanks for the feedback.

Ben

Edited by jeff_h

• 2 months later...

Found the problem.  It was an inspection sticker that was dropping down just above the camera.  When I would wash the car it got pushed up into the body seem just above the camera.  Then at random times it would drop down just enough to cover part of the camera lenses.  When the lenses started to get normal dirty combined with the partial sticker blockage it would fail.  Removed the sticker and all is right with the world.

Root Cause is Ford quality control or maybe not put a sticker above the camera that will lose its holding power and cause this issue.

Sticker was plain white (glue side) and solid red on the other side, about 1/2" X 1/2"

Ben

• 3 years later...
On 8/15/2016 at 12:30 PM, Ben Bruce said:

When I put it in reverse I get a black screen and after a few seconds a message pops up that says Camera unavailable at this time, contact Ford Service (not exact text).

This happens for a day or two every time I put it in reverse and then it will work fine for several days.  Been going back and forth without any predictability.

Anyone else have a problem like this?

Ben

I have the same problem out of my 2016 Fusion. It will work sometimes and then sometimes it says camera not available. Sometimes it will even show the camera for a sec or two then it kinda glitches out and goes to showing what's playing on my radio. Has anyone figured out what's the cause and how to fix it? If you have please email me at lolee2771@gmail.com

Thanks

Lori 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I also have a very similar problem on both of my 2014 Fusion Energis.  My Wife's car started acting up shortly after a warranty recall was performed on I think the display.   That work was done 3-4 years ago.  Mine only started acting up a few days ago, I get the black screen that says camera not available, contact Ford service (not exact wording).  I also get a rear view picture where the guidance lines are gone.  When this happens the image displayed is lower quality and the image is backwards.  So when I am against the curb on the right it shows that image on the left side of my screen.  I did a master reset and the problem persist.  Any thoughts??

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey ya'll, I've been told to try a couple of different things and one worked for me. Go into your settings on the screen. Go into Vehicle settings. Go into your rear camera settings. Turn all options off. Push the Home button. Put the car in reverse. It should work. Then you go back into your settings, back into your vehicle settings, and back into your rear camera settings and turn them all back on. If this doesn't work for you. You can also try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a couple minutes and then reattach it. And the 3rd trick to try is to check to see if the camera was hooked into the aux rather than the display.... I hope that helps someone!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a strange issue with my camera lately on my 2017 FFE Titanium.  When I go into reverse I get the camera, but once I go into drive, the camera stays on for about 10-15 seconds.  It used to go off immediately and in my wife's Ford Edge, it also goes off immediately.  Not a huge issue but just something I noticed.