Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Key Fob locking/unlocking/starting problems

SoCalPaddle

Bought my 2017 FFE two months ago.  Since day one, have had problems with the car detecting either key fob with very much reliability.  Tried changing the batteries in both, keeping it in direct sight of the car, away from my phone, took off everything from my key chain.  I am out of ideas.  I took it to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong with it (of course it worked perfectly when I took it in).  I recently had problems with a parking attendant having to come and get me because they couldn't unlock my car with the fob.  Anybody have any ideas?  This is getting old.

keeping it in direct sight of the car,

I don't understand why you want to keep it in sight. I have the same FFE and my first fobs so dead batteries is worrying

thinking about this, if it is in direct sight of  the car it uses its transmitter and tries to communicate with the car. So the car and fob play "Marco Polo" continuously 24, 7, 365. It is like the fact my smart phone "in standby" will last a week on a charge but only 10 hours "in use" and I think it is the same for the fob and it's batteries.

You understand the car is transmitting "Marco" 24/7 and when one of your fobs hears that WITH the proper ID code it transmits "polo" which is like me surfing the net from my cellphone. A much much more power consuming job than being in "standby" not transmitting at all.

Edited by steve4810

I just mentioned keeping it in direct sight to take out the possibility that I was either too far away from the car or something could be in the way, interfering with the signal.  I can be standing right next to the car trying to lock or unlock it with the fob and the car doesn't respond to my pressing of the buttons on either fob.

Shot in the dark, but you could try removing the negative battery cable on your 12v battery (stored in the trunk, drivers side behind a carpeted door), leaving it off for 5 minutes, and reconnecting it.  That should "reboot" the modules in the car.  If that doesn't clear the behavior, dealership trip again.

Unless...  is it consistently bad no matter where you are, or is it only bad at home, only bad at a destination, etc?  I remember hearing a story that some cheap transformer someone was using to power lights was generating SO MUCH RF interference within like 1/8th of a mile, that nobody's keyfobs would work.

My Expedition had a Ford alarm system installed back when I bought it, but within the last few years, it wouldn't reliably detect the keyfob anymore.  I would up having to powercycle the module and it would work for a while, and then start freaking out again.  I still have the original (non-alarm fobs) that came with the truck and I've been using those now.