Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Help us Ford! Internal Control Unit (TCU) is broken and costs $1600 to replace!

michelleandnick

Hello Ford Cars!

We had a $1000 part fail on our 2013 Ford Fusion Energi Hybrid -- a very common part (electric sensor) -- and Ford won't give us any relief. We can't unlock the car when this happens, it won't start when this happens. It's basically useless.  It will cost us $600 in labor to have it put in. A common part that fails on a regular basis costs $1600 in a 3-year-old car?  How common is this?

It is the telematics control unit module.  Has anyone else had this problem????

They won't take it higher and are telling us our local Ford dealer made the decision. Not so fast -- they didn't make the decision -- the regional service manager SUSAN MILLER made the decision. The dealership has tried to call her a number of times and she won't return the call.  Why would the regional service manager not call back a dealership that sells at a high volume in the Bay Area?

The woman we spoke to on the phone at Ford today said there were hundreds of agents working there with her -- with no supervisor to talk to. She said Ford based the decision on our LVT score and it couldn’t be changed.  We asked if we could find out why this claim we filed was denied. A few minutes in to the call, she said this call wasn’t being productive and she hung up on us when we were working hard to figure out our next step. Flat out hung up.  We have been trying to get answers for 2 weeks. It was serviced 3 weeks prior to for this same problem and they didn't tell us about this part -- instead they said it was our battery.

IS THIS REALLY THE LEVEL OF SERVICE FORD PROVIDES TO ITS CUSTOMERS? IF SO - WHY ARE WE BUYING YOUR CARS???? Please help us find some answers.

PLEASE SOMEONE at FORD HELP US!!!!

The TCU has nothing to do with unlocking or starting the car. All it does it handle the communications for MyFord Mobile and store the GO Times. I had a 2013 C-Max Energi and removed the TCU because it would get stuck on and drain the 12V battery. Sounds more like that is the problem. Pull out Fuse 10 in the passenger compartment fuse box for a couple of minutes and re-install, that should temporarily fix it if indeed that is the problem.

The TCU will get replaced with one that works with AT&T 3G instead of the obsolete 2G, look for field service action 15N04 on this forum as well as on owner.ford.com

This is why extended warranties are so wonderful on complex cars such as this.  It is a first generation plug-in hybrid, and I see you also have a 2013, which also means you bought a first model year first generation plug-in hybrid.

These cars do not come with unlimited warranties.  It comes with a 3 year, 36k bumper to bumper manufacturer warranty, with a certain hybrid warranty on various hybrid parts for 8 years, 100k (150k for Cali), and once these expire, that's it.  You are then responsible for any repair... and EVERY manufacturer treats their cars that way once the warranty is up.  A large number of people on the forum have purchased the Ford ESP warranty (I bought the premiumcare warranty, which is as close as bumper to bumper as it gets) for 7 years, 60k miles, with 50 dollar deductible, for $770.  For a repair such as yours, it would've paid for itself twice.

To pile on disappointments, your car is no longer eligible to purchase one of these official Ford warranties - it must be within the original manufacturer warranty to be able to buy one.  There are other companies that may offer warranties as a 3rd party, but I've never looked at them nor know how they work, or what garages you are limited to.  If one of these warranties are less than the repair and that specific repair is covered, maybe go in that direction.  Other plus of that is it'll be back under some kind of warranty, so if something else goes wrong, hopefully the plan you chose will have that part covered.

As far as the level of customer service you're experiencing... I will say that is completely unacceptable.  If you've experienced this issue and took your car in to have it repaired, paid to have it repaired, and find out the issue is NOT fixed, then that original repair cost should be refunded or applied to the correct fix.  It is not your fault the dealership mis-diagnosed the problem and replaced the wrong part.  Hopefully you'll make some headway with it.

• 1 month later...

Actually they will sell you ext warranty out of new car warranty. CHeck with your local dealership or do a google search for ford extended warranty you will see several Ford dealers offer them online and you can purchase them after the basic and powertrain warranty expire you just have to get the vehicle inspected at a local Ford dealership but of course they will probably check for proper operation of most systems. I use those website quotes with my local dealer when negotiating ext warranty prices. As Russael has said the premium care is Ford's best and I also had one on a 06 Explorer for 7 years and 80K or so. I know it expired when I hit 100K and I bought the truck used with 22K miles and everything bell and whistle on that Limited model did break or stop working once.

• 1 month later...

Hmmmm..... I'm hoping that we're aren't talking about the same part here.... but I just bought a 2017 Ford Fusion Energi (in October of 2016). I'm taking it back to the dealership agIn tomorrow. We have had THREE telematic units fail on the car.... with less than 6000km (3750 miles) on it.

In our case it doesn't affect the ability for the car to start and be driven, but it does mean that we can't use the app to lock/unlock or start the car. It also destroys the ability to set charging times to avoid peak electric rates, and means that we can't prestart/prewarm the car on cold day (January in Canada anyone?). Given your inability to start and drive the car I'm hoping we are talking about a different part....... but just thought I'd throw this out there......

• 3 months later...

Well, I'm getting ready to go back and pick up my 2017 ford fusion energi today. I have experienced two dead batteries, and after sitting in the car once the car interior lights go off and all keys are away from the vehicle the center gearshift rotary dial was coming on by itself, relays were clicking, and I even heard the CD sound like it was trying to eject once. All while the car was off and I've been sitting in it for 20 to 25 minutes. I originally joined this forum less than a week ago and found a listing under 2017 Ford fusion dead battery that is on this form that you might want to research. Luckily I know the owner of the dealership so they've been very cooperative and it sounds like they did a lot of reprogramming an updates on things according to what they told me today. They did tell me that they found the same problems I was experiencing so at least I know I'm not crazy ...