Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Fusion Energi - Rear End Collision / HV Battery Damage?

dnorris78

My 2013 Fusion Energi was rear ended yesterday with moderate damage to the rear of the car.  I am concerned about damage to the HV battery and components.  Anybody have any experience or recommendations?  I am concerned the repair shops will overlook any potential damage.  If the battery has to be replaced what are the costs?

If you have concerns then I would have an EV certified Ford dealer look at it. I suspect many auto body techs are not qualified to work on or around high voltage equipment which could be problematic. There may even be OSHA requirements involved here including lock-out/tag-out procedures if the tech needs to do any work around energized parts or the HVB. Regardless, you need to immediately notify the person's insurance company that you have an EV vehicle. They may have special adjusters and repairs shops selected specifically for EV vehicles. I too am curious if anyone else has first hand advice on what to do from collision in which there is a concern about the HVB or other EV-unique components. Keep us posted.

Is the damage minor enough that the car still drives?  If so, are there any error codes showing?  If the car can drive with no error codes, I think that's a good sign as the HVB sits a bit forward and I think inside a mini roll-bar type cage,if I remember correctly.  If there are error codes lit up like a Christmas tree, well then who knows what the extent might be.

However as for me personally, I would definitely have your dealer's body shop do the work so the EV techs are there to assist where needed.

Jeff

More than minor damage.  Entire rear bumper gone, left quarter panel gone and damage to drivers side rear door where quarter panel was pushed into the door.  Also damage to the trunk lid.  I am still fighting with insurance to even come and evaluate the car for whether the car will be totaled or repaired.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious, was that picture taken from the Subway parking lot?  :)

Sad to say also my buddy got hit with his Cmax as he was driving some lady turned left out of a lot and ran into him, damaged both doors an a little bit of the front fender on the bottom and they totaled the car as well.  Is was a 2013 with 45k miles.  Sadly for him, 100% not at fault, he had a loan on it so the insurance paid the bank and he walks away with no car.  How does this happen?

-=>Raja.

Yes Raja I took the pic at a Subway when I was eating lunch. 

That is what happened to me as well.  I had a loan on the car.  GEICO is paying part and my GAP policy is paying the remaining part.  Luckily I had GAP coverage, which I highly recommend on new cars that are financed.

Just a bit of information:  I purchased a new 2017 Energi Titanium and the sticker on it was less than my original 2013 Fusion Energi SE.  My payments are actually lower.

• 5 weeks later...

I buy from insurance auctions and notice a lot of cars with minor damage are totaled. I sometimes buy them and have them repaired with OEM parts for 1/4 to 1/10 the estimated cost to repair but hey I don't have the overhead of a shop with insurance and benefits. The sad thing is we as consumers ultimately pay for what some consider waste. Allstate my carrier will try to be cheap or green (depending on your perspective) by using recycled parts first then aftermarket before they will buy new OEM. When my wife Lexus got damaged we could only refuse aftermarket not the recycled (aka junk yard) parts.

I had a car for 23 years and over 225,000 miles. The last 3 times I got hit the checks went into the new car fund, including 2 times they 'totaled' it and I bought the car back for the salvage value. Once they only reduce the check I got so as to do it all in one transaction (totaled, payoff, and buyback). It was always just body damage, structurally and mechanically, the car was fine.

I think in Texas, they can total out at 75 - 80% of value. Insurance only replaces the value of the car, not make you whole. I doubt I could have found a car like mine for the payout prices as I bought my car new and had all my records on it.