Ford Fusion Energi Forum

VW owner looking for sweet spot for used Fusion Energi

jlh1960

Hi, Fusion Energi owners,

I have a dirty VW Passat TDI that VW is buying back next month. I'll be getting about $21,000 cash. I'm looking for your advice about possibly buying a used Fusion Energi.

It looks like I could buy a certified 2013 for well under that, and a certified 2014 at about that price range. Or, I could add a little of my cash and get a 2015.

Where's the sweet spot? Are there significant improvements from 2013 to 2015? Is battery life still good for 2013 models? Anything I should stay away from and anything I should run to? I've seen some dead vehicle posts, but I'm guessing those are few and far between?

Or, would you suggest a difference make/model that is similar to what the Energi offers?

Appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!

Hi, Fusion Energi owners,

I have a dirty VW Passat TDI that VW is buying back next month. I'll be getting about $21,000 cash. I'm looking for your advice about possibly buying a used Fusion Energi.

It looks like I could buy a certified 2013 for well under that, and a certified 2014 at about that price range. Or, I could add a little of my cash and get a 2015.

Where's the sweet spot? Are there significant improvements from 2013 to 2015? Is battery life still good for 2013 models? Anything I should stay away from and anything I should run to? I've seen some dead vehicle posts, but I'm guessing those are few and far between?

Or, would you suggest a difference make/model that is similar to what the Energi offers?

Appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!

2014 had significant changes including aerodynamic changes and upgrades lessening 12 volt battery issues. I see no advantage with a 2015 other than age. 2016 has sync 3 which is a plus. I put 38,000 miles on a 2013 and 16,000 on a Fusion Energi. I loved them both!

I had a 2013 FFE SE which was totaled recently.  I really liked that car.  I purchased a new 2017 FFE Titanium and absolutely love it.  Sync 3 is much better than the original Sync the look and drive-ability of the car is much better in my opinion.  The headlights are now LED and they are awesome along with the new built in DRL's.  The sticker price on the 2017 FFE Titanium was much less than the sticker on my 2013 FFE SE.

Hi jlh1960,

I think it would help to know which features are must haves for you. Or if you're looking at SE or Titanum or it that matters. I'm going off of memory so I apologize for any errors.

If push button start is important, only the Titanium's had it in 2013. For 2014 it became an available option on SE's. Only the Titaniums came with the rear spoiler in 2013. If you want heated/cooled seats and a heated steering wheel then look at 2014 or newer. I forgot the names of the leather seat options on 2014 and 2015. But you could opt for "red" or "ceramic" besides the charcoal gray. Titanium's came with aluminum door sill plates. The leather seats were different between the SE and the Titanium. You would have to do a seat of the pants comparison to feel which is more comfortable.

Much nicer rims were available on 2016 models. I think late 2016 Fusions have Sync 3. Earlier models still had My Ford Touch but Ford changed to physical buttons on the center stack instead of capacitive touch for Titanium's. I've driven other Fords with Sync 3 and it definitely is quicker to respond and simpler to use. But I haven't had any trouble with MFT and I like it.

There were colors that were discontinued after each model year. I haven't driven another Energi besides my 2013 so I can't offer any differences in drivability between the years.

2013's tell you the predicted EV range in the High Voltage Battery. I think Ford stopped displaying that range after being sued for mis-stating range/fuel economy. I don't know exactly when that was discontinued, late 2014 or early 2015. It may not matter to you at all, but I like seeing that predicted range.

Forum members might correct my details - dangerous to go off of my memory - but at least you have a few items to research by year!

Let us know what you end up with!

Hi jlh1960,

I think it would help to know which features are must haves for you. Or if you're looking at SE or Titanum or it that matters. I'm going off of memory so I apologize for any errors.

If push button start is important, only the Titanium's had it in 2013. For 2014 it became an available option on SE's. Only the Titaniums came with the rear spoiler in 2013. If you want heated/cooled seats and a heated steering wheel then look at 2014 or newer. I forgot the names of the leather seat options on 2014 and 2015. But you could opt for "red" or "ceramic" besides the charcoal gray. Titanium's came with aluminum door sill plates. The leather seats were different between the SE and the Titanium. You would have to do a seat of the pants comparison to feel which is more comfortable.

Much nicer rims were available on 2016 models. I think late 2016 Fusions have Sync 3. Earlier models still had My Ford Touch but Ford changed to physical buttons on the center stack instead of capacitive touch for Titanium's. I've driven other Fords with Sync 3 and it definitely is quicker to respond and simpler to use. But I haven't had any trouble with MFT and I like it.

There were colors that were discontinued after each model year. I haven't driven another Energi besides my 2013 so I can't offer any differences in drivability between the years.

2013's tell you the predicted EV range in the High Voltage Battery. I think Ford stopped displaying that range after being sued for mis-stating range/fuel economy. I don't know exactly when that was discontinued, late 2014 or early 2015. It may not matter to you at all, but I like seeing that predicted range.

Forum members might correct my details - dangerous to go off of my memory - but at least you have a few items to research by year!

Let us know what you end up with!

Only correction: Sync 3 is 2017, but 2016 does have the new buttons.

All, good stuff to know! Not sure if I'm dead set on Titanium or not, will probably look for a 2015. But there are some pretty good arguments for going all-in for the 2017.

I'm sure my wife will decide what I'll drive. Think I'll do some looking today.Five days to buyback!

On a 2017 the top is the Platinum! Better price than a 2016 equivalent Titanium. Good lease!

• 3 months later...

I'm in the exact same position that you are / were. Driving a VW Passat (2012 Highline) and I'll be getting back about $24k for the buyback from VW next month. Just wondering if you ended up buying a Fusion Energi and what your thoughts are? What year / trim did you go with? I'm looking for a 2014 Fusion Energi Titanium currently.

• 4 months later...