Custom Search

Welcome to Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Ford Fusion Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Love your Fusion Energi? Register it in the official authorized Ford Energi Registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Battery Degradation

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mikieg

mikieg

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 10 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern
  • LocationMiami
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2014

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:20 AM

I realize 5.6 kwh is considered to be the non-hybrid portion, but mine was only 5.5 kwh when I drove it off the lot. So yeah, you basically have a like-new HVB still. Much of the same for me. I get 5.3 or 5.4 kwh at 57,000 miles so I've seen very little degradation as well. Like you I baby the HVB at least in terms of temperature. I do have over 400 cycles on it though. 

Absolutely incredulous, that's the only word that comes to mind. I can't believe that you have nearly twice as much mileage as me yet most of your battery capacity. I contacted a law firm that is looking for plaintiffs to start a class action suit against Ford. Maybe that will get their attention.

Edited by mikieg, 07 November 2018 - 09:21 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Davidoo

Davidoo

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 39 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationPhoenix
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2017

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:36 PM

Absolutely incredulous, that's the only word that comes to mind. I can't believe that you have nearly twice as much mileage as me yet most of your battery capacity. I contacted a law firm that is looking for plaintiffs to start a class action suit against Ford. Maybe that will get their attention.

I agree with you.  I have a 2017 with 19,000 miles and I only get 4.9 per charge.  Yes, I live in Phoenix and it's hot 10 months a year, but still, when I got the car, they never told me anything about the electric portion of the car would deteriorate so much, so quickly.  They never gave me any hints such as not charging when it is hot or freeway driving.  Would anyone accept this for a ICE only vehicle and find out that each year your gas mileage will go down, or the horsepower of the engine will lose 20% after 2 years, but they won't do anything about it?  The other side of this is that now, with cooler weather here and no a/c most of the time, I still can get almost 30 miles on a charge if I drive gently.  And I'm a fan of Ford and never buy anything else.  I'm sure this isn't exclusive to them for EVs.  My father retired from Ford and I have worked there before and I wouldn't buy anything else.  Just odd to me that it is acceptable to "lose" part of your engine or power ability so fast in less than 20,000 miles.  

#23 OFFLINE   4cylinder

4cylinder

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 141 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMetro Detroit
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2017

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:03 AM

'17 here, built in October '16 and bought with 7,800 miles, now at 17,000 miles. Battery still behaves like-new and the Detroit area does get extreme heat AND cold.

Unfortunately I'm guessing Ford has put some fine print disavowing responsibility for abnormal battery degradation, and given that the car is technically still perfectly usable it'll be hard to build a case. 

#24 OFFLINE   jsamp

jsamp

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 276 posts
  • LocationCA
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi SE, Escape Hybrid
  • My Fusion's Year:2015

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:48 AM

I wish you luck, I really do, but I don't hold high hopes for you.  There was a huge discussion starting back in 2015 about this. Read a couple of threads like this one:

https://www.fordfusi...iles-horrible/ They also went the route of class action lawsuit, but we never heard the outcome.

Someone did get their battery replaced see:

http://fordcmaxenerg...nder-warranty/ 

But most others who tried the same were not so lucky an only gained frustration.  Maybe you can contact users 'mipmapped' or 'dlb92' to find out more.

Good luck.

• jeff_h likes this

#25 OFFLINE   mikieg

mikieg

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:00 AM

I wish you luck, I really do, but I don't hold high hopes for you.  There was a huge discussion starting back in 2015 about this. Read a couple of threads like this one:

https://www.fordfusi...iles-horrible/ They also went the route of class action lawsuit, but we never heard the outcome.

Someone did get their battery replaced see:

http://fordcmaxenerg...nder-warranty/ 

But most others who tried the same were not so lucky an only gained frustration.  Maybe you can contact users 'mipmapped' or 'dlb92' to find out more.

Good luck.

I read the second link and reading down the page I saw responses identical to mine, how all Ford does is respond with "there are no codes therefore there is nothing wrong with the battery", the exact response that's on my latest service order. Posters there are complaining that they are seeing 4.1kwh capacity while mine is down to 3.8.

Like I've said before, I would expect normal degradation, but not 47% in three years.

#26 OFFLINE   jsamp

jsamp

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 276 posts
  • LocationCA
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi SE, Escape Hybrid
  • My Fusion's Year:2015

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:40 PM

I realize you see it as 47% loss in range, but in reality it is not that big, and Ford uses the whole battery capacity in the calculation.  So you get 3.8kWh whereas a new battery is 5.6.  5.6-3.8 is a 1.8kWh loss:

1.8 is a 32% loss from 5.6 (plug-in portion of battery)

1.8 is a 24% loss from 7.6 (full battery capacity)

So you are still above 75% of battery capacity.  Even Nissan would only hold to a 70% warranty.

Do I think this is acceptable? no, because Ford could have done better at battery design/management.  But they never would have even entered the EV market if they knew they would be held to 100% capacity for 8 years/100K miles.

Did you contact the lawyer listed on page 1 of this thread?  they were looking into it 2 years ago.  What happened?

Edited by jsamp, 09 November 2018 - 01:41 PM.

• jeff_h likes this

#27 OFFLINE   mikieg

mikieg

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:48 PM

I realize you see it as 47% loss in range, but in reality it is not that big, and Ford uses the whole battery capacity in the calculation.  So you get 3.8kWh whereas a new battery is 5.6.  5.6-3.8 is a 1.8kWh loss:

1.8 is a 32% loss from 5.6 (plug-in portion of battery)

1.8 is a 24% loss from 7.6 (full battery capacity)

So you are still above 75% of battery capacity.  Even Nissan would only hold to a 70% warranty.

Do I think this is acceptable? no, because Ford could have done better at battery design/management.  But they never would have even entered the EV market if they knew they would be held to 100% capacity for 8 years/100K miles.

Did you contact the lawyer listed on page 1 of this thread?  they were looking into it 2 years ago.  What happened?

Not sure about you, but a 32% loss after only 2.5 years seems like a lot to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·