Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Battery Degradation

justindthomas

I realize you see it as 47% loss in range, but in reality it is not that big, and Ford uses the whole battery capacity in the calculation.  So you get 3.8kWh whereas a new battery is 5.6.  5.6-3.8 is a 1.8kWh loss:

1.8 is a 32% loss from 5.6 (plug-in portion of battery)

1.8 is a 24% loss from 7.6 (full battery capacity)

So you are still above 75% of battery capacity.  Even Nissan would only hold to a 70% warranty.

Do I think this is acceptable? no, because Ford could have done better at battery design/management.  But they never would have even entered the EV market if they knew they would be held to 100% capacity for 8 years/100K miles.

Did you contact the lawyer listed on page 1 of this thread?  they were looking into it 2 years ago.  What happened?

Edited by jsamp

I realize you see it as 47% loss in range, but in reality it is not that big, and Ford uses the whole battery capacity in the calculation.  So you get 3.8kWh whereas a new battery is 5.6.  5.6-3.8 is a 1.8kWh loss:

1.8 is a 32% loss from 5.6 (plug-in portion of battery)

1.8 is a 24% loss from 7.6 (full battery capacity)

So you are still above 75% of battery capacity.  Even Nissan would only hold to a 70% warranty.

Do I think this is acceptable? no, because Ford could have done better at battery design/management.  But they never would have even entered the EV market if they knew they would be held to 100% capacity for 8 years/100K miles.

Did you contact the lawyer listed on page 1 of this thread?  they were looking into it 2 years ago.  What happened?

Not sure about you, but a 32% loss after only 2.5 years seems like a lot to me.

:( I bought a 2015 Fusion Energi with 40k on it last week, and it's been pretty disappointing. Until I started driving it I had no idea about the thermal management & related capacity loss issues that Ford's PHEVs suffer ... but needless to say, after seeing that I was only getting between 3.6 and 4.0 kwh out of a full battery (depending on the temperature), I knew something wasn't right. My first charge from empty was only about 3 hours 30 minutes, although it's been running closer to 3:50-4:00 now that the car's been used for a week. After reading through these forums, I realized that Ford doesn't stand behind its products, and that I'm basically up a creek without a paddle on this one. This knocks me down from an all-electric commute to work with partial electric going home to a 3/4 electric 1/4 gas commute to work with all gas going home.

Also already the cabin coolant heater has been sporadically faulting out, and neither Ford (since it's slightly out of warranty) nor the dealer who sold it want to step up. So disappointed. Wish I hadn't bought a Ford, and I will never make that mistake again.

Now that I've been educated, I will never buy another electric vehicle that doesn't have a liquid cooled battery (and critically, a liquid cooled battery with a heat exchanger to the A/C system). I so wish I'd paid the extra money to get a Volt :(.

To add insult to injury, I asked my employer about using the plugs in the parking lot to charge (which would have alleviated the capacity loss problem*), and I got the response "Those are for fleet vehicles only. Until [name of megacorp that I work for] subsidizes fossil fuel vehicles, electric vehicle drivers can buy their own electric." Nobody actually ever bothers to plug in the fleet cars, though, so those plugs just go unused. The real irony here is that at the corporate level, they have had an eco-friendly brand push going for over a decade, they have shifted the entire corporate fleet to Volts, and until recently they were a major manufacturer of EVSEs.

* Yes, I realize that twice-daily charging is 'bad', but according to Forscan my battery never gets over 75-80 basically no matter what I do, because it's 32 degrees outside right now ... so for the winter at least, it'd probably be OK.

Edited by danjayh

:( I bought a 2015 Fusion Energi with 40k on it last week, and it's been pretty disappointing. Until I started driving it I had no idea about the thermal management & related capacity loss issues that Ford's PHEVs suffer ... but needless to say, after seeing that I was only getting between 3.6 and 4.0 kwh out of a full battery (depending on the temperature), I knew something wasn't right. My first charge from empty was only about 3 hours 30 minutes, although it's been running closer to 3:50-4:00 now that the car's been used for a week. After reading through these forums, I realized that Ford doesn't stand behind its products, and that I'm basically up a creek without a paddle on this one. This knocks me down from an all-electric commute to work with partial electric going home to a 3/4 electric 1/4 gas commute to work with all gas going home.

Also already the cabin coolant heater has been sporadically faulting out, and neither Ford (since it's slightly out of warranty) nor the dealer who sold it want to step up. So disappointed. Wish I hadn't bought a Ford, and I will never make that mistake again.

Now that I've been educated, I will never buy another electric vehicle that doesn't have a liquid cooled battery (and critically, a liquid cooled battery with a heat exchanger to the A/C system). I so wish I'd paid the extra money to get a Volt :(.

To add insult to injury, I asked my employer about using the plugs in the parking lot to charge (which would have alleviated the capacity loss problem*), and I got the response "Those are for fleet vehicles only. Until [name of megacorp that I work for] subsidizes fossil fuel vehicles, electric vehicle drivers can buy their own electric." Nobody actually ever bothers to plug in the fleet cars, though, so those plugs just go unused. The real irony here is that at the corporate level, they have had an eco-friendly brand push going for over a decade, they have shifted the entire corporate fleet to Volts, and until recently they were a major manufacturer of EVSEs.

* Yes, I realize that twice-daily charging is 'bad', but according to Forscan my battery never gets over 75-80 basically no matter what I do, because it's 32 degrees outside right now ... so for the winter at least, it'd probably be OK.

Regarding the coolant heater faulting out...that happened with my 2015 as well. In my case the heater had to be replaced.

• 1 year later...

Replying to this old thread. 
My Energi is 4yrs old and has 96k miles.

I’ve owned it since new and complained many times about the battery degradation.

I finally paid the $175 for the full testing and Ford said it’s normal for my age and mileage. I only get 10-13 miles and 3.4 on full electric and 3.8 until battery is done and It runs on full gas. 
When charging on 110v so I can connect my monitor, it only takes 4.81kw and that’s including the inefficiency.

so I’ve lost 43% battery in the 4yrs, much more than I would think is acceptable.

And I contacted the class action attorney in the link and she’s not there anymore and the person who took over said they decided not to pursue a suit due to Ford’s warranty states that their will be some degradation over time.

still, with almost 50% capacity lost, I think it’s unacceptable but seems there’s nothing I can do.

Edited by jasper7821