Ford Fusion Energi Forum

EV Later Mode Not Available

psteinkr

I took delivery of my 2017 Fusion Energi Hybrid about three weeks ago, and I still haven't been able to get it to run in "EV Later" mode. The owner's manual and all the online advice I've seen indicate that it should be possible to switch to this mode easily by pressing the EV button on the console. Every time I do so, however, the instrument panel shows that the car is in Auto mode, and that EV Now and EV Later modes are unavailable (as indicated by their icons being "x'd" out). 

Why do I want to operate the vehicle in "EV Later" mode?  Because my dear wife is concerned (irrationally, I'm convinced) about EMFs being generated when the vehicle is using the HVB, so to allay her concerns, I'd like to drive the vehicle using only the gasoline engine when she is a passenger.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem of being unable to use the EV Later mode?

Raja, many thanks for this advice. The battery isn't fully, but it isn't empty, either. I haven't yet plugged it in to charge it, but I will do so. It's not obvious to me why charging the HVB should be necessary to make the EV Later mode available. You'd think Ford would allow the EV Later mode to be available at any time, and especially when the battery is fully depleted. What is the logic of making it available only when the battery is fully charged?

The HVB is used to start the engine so it is not possible to not use the HVB.  Also if the HVB is discharged the car becomes a hybrid and still runs in electric mode for short distances.  The HVB is partitioned into two pieces.  About 1.5kWh for hybrid mode and the rest for EV mode.  Also the car only uses electric drive in reverse.  It is not possible for the engine to move the car in reverse.  Even with the engine running the electric motor is in use all of the time.  You will note that there is no correlation between engine RPM and vehicle speed.

There is the hybrid battery, when you will be locked out of EV and EV later, and then the main HVB, which you can choose Auto, EV and EV Later.

In hybrid mode the car is in Auto all the time, no choice.  If you have the smaller battery, then you are in hybrid mode and the battery is empty.

It doesn't need to be full, but the hybrid battery (part of the main battery) doesn't count.  You may be confusing the hybrid battery with the main battery.  In the left panel, the main battery turns into a smaller battery when its exhausted indicating hybrid mode operation.

Click on the leaf icon, then check the charge level of the battery, it should be higher than 0% to have options, at 0% you are in hybrid mode and the modes are locked out.

Hope this helps.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort

LOL...the car is constantly using the HVB and electric motor regardless of whether it is EV Auto or EV Later. The HVB is vital to the operation of the transmission and even if you could get the ICE supply most of the torque to the wheels continuously the HVB and electric motor would still be getting a full workout. If it helps just don't tell your wife this :)

Edited by bdginmo

Thanks for the above advice.  You're correct in believing that I wasn't understanding the role of the HVB in both the EV and hybrid modes of operation. I didn't realize that the battery and electric motor still would be working vigorously, even if the vehicle is set to "EV Later."

Personally, I don't have any concern about the level of EMFs generated through operation of the Fusion Energi.  My wife is a different story, despite my referring her to articles such as this:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/transportation/safety/magnetic-fields-in-electric-cars-wont-kill-you