Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Replacing chrome window trim with black on 2017 Energi SE

cremefrasier

I'd be interested to see how it is done. I would like to replace my door handles with color matched ones from the lower trim models to get rid of the chrome inlay but I don't want to dork with the sensors on all the doors.

You talking about the small chrome slits on the door handles? Had mine vinyl wrapped

I'm gonna attempt to plasti dip my window trim on my own. Watched a few videos and it doesn't seem hard. I had someone else do the wheels, grille and emblems so this will be my first go at it

Edited by cremefrasier

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

thanks so much for the welcome, ive ordered glossy black vinyl and will wrap what i can. im currently looking for a light tint (i mean verrry light) for the headlights. i have some plastidip for the emblems but i may jist remove everything but the energi badges. im a little curious in how to tackle the front grill with anytbing orher than plastidip, but i may have no choixe

Edited by JayyO

I had my grille plasti dipped. He took the whole bumper off to do it but if you look at 2gfusions.net you'll probably find a way to do it with out removing the bumper. I've heard that the vertical slats pop out but I've never tried. I debadged as well, it's a lot easier to clean the car in those certain areas. Tread lightly with tinting your lights. Vivid makes a good vinyl but they have a couple different kinds that get sent out from amazon so it's not consistent. I recently tried VHT nightshade and I do not recommend it unless you take the lights out.

Edited by cremefrasier

frasier you are the man haha. thanks for the advice. actually yesterday after reading your post i same day primed some cf wrap for the rear chrome strip and the fog light accents. im thinking that im going to plastidip the center grill but cf wrap the chrome outer bezel. will post pics when im finished. ill look into the headlight tint, definitely looking more towards the film route than the spray route. id assume in some more time, more products will be available. fingers crossed

frasier you are the man haha. thanks for the advice. actually yesterday after reading your post i same day primed some cf wrap for the rear chrome strip and the fog light accents. im thinking that im going to plastidip the center grill but cf wrap the chrome outer bezel. will post pics when im finished. ill look into the headlight tint, definitely looking more towards the film route than the spray route. id assume in some more time, more products will be available. fingers crossed

Definitely post pics when you finish. Have fun!

I don't mind the chrome on my 17 FFTE but I noticed that the way they have put on the weather stripping it gives the appearance that the doors are not aligned properly.  Anyone else notice that?

I have some black vinyl that im looking to wrap the window trim with. I might just use a heavy duty electric tape. I've done this with a previous Mini Cooper S and it held up for over 2 years.

Definitely post pics when you finish. Have fun!

Heres a little step by step that i did. The rears unclipped faily easy. I was able to take a pic and documented each step but ill just show the finished product.

will have to wrap or plastidip the inner grill, debadge(will be leaving energi) and do the window trim at another time. overall im very satisfied with the outcome. will post those when finished.

also, here is my other baby 16 years and kicking strong haha

Looking good man!! The carbon fiber is such a nice subtle touch in my opinion. I've yet to see ANY kind of 2017 fusion with thee chrome strip blacked out (personally) and the carbon fiber adds a little bit of class.

I need to re do my fogs. Plasti dipped them when I first got the car but I think I need to swap it out for some cf wrap after seeing yours.

Is that a Z3? Looks dope, especially with the brass monkeys

thanks for the compliments! the car in the garage is a honda s2000 and is my primary 'play & track car', i also have a 2005 mini cooper S so this is a huge difference for me coming from track cars haha. i've been taking the bus to work recently so having the energi for the quick ride to the bus station is very efficient.

the cf wrap on the fogs was a little bit of a pain in the ass, but just blow drying (or heat gunning) the vinyl so its a little bit more pliable. 

12a

i just got in from doing the chrome trim around the windows and plan on doing a headlight tint tomorrow and the inner grill (if i have some time) .. ill take some more pictures tomorrow.