Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Platinum model listed as a Titanium with Ins. Co. and Carfax

cortezer

Hello, We am new to this forum and are learning new things about this interesting car every day.

One new but unsettling revelation is what carfax (and more importantly our insurance company) reports our Platinum model to be.

Using our VIN number, our 2017 Platinum Energi shows up as a Titanium model.  The reason for the concern is that a valuation by anyone, especially our insurance company that is roughly $5K less (Titanium vs Platinum) could come back to haunt me and my wife if something serious were to happen to the car and the insurance company's value was considerably lower due to this problem.

Some information so far: We (my wife and I) received a copy of the Carfax at the time of purchase. I looked it over to see if there were any anomalies that would prevent us from buying this car (used but in very good condition with approx 8K miles) I missed the fact that Carfax listed it as a Titanium and not a Platinum.  Once we saw that on the Carfax (later after purchase) we were concerned that should we decide to sell the car for whatever the reason, it surely would be valued less due to the difference in model levels.

It didn't become a real concern until the insurance company issued our proof of insurance papers listing our Platinum as a Titanium, That's when we re-looked at our Carfax  provided by the dealer. Sure enough, '2017 FORD FUSION TITANIUM PHEV' is what shows up on the Carfax. When asking the insurance company about the VIN and how it may affect us, the general answer we got was unless the car was totaled or stolen, this wouldn't be an issue.  We take that to mean it could be an issue under at least those two circumstances. Reason for great concern now.

Next, for some research: We called Ford Motor CO and spoke to a knowledgeable representative. He said our car was indeed a Platinum (using the VIN) and that if there were a problem with it being reported as a Titanium, that was created by the dealer when it was registered initially. The Ford rep went on to say that the dealership would be the one to correct the error in the sub-model level. FYI - nowhere on our copy of the original window sticker does it have the word Titanium. The Ford rep pointed that out as well since he looked it up on his end.

A subsequent call to the dealer, led us to being transferred to the senior sales manager, who said that there was not a problem. When asked about the concerns we had he said, yes it is a Titanium with a trim level of Platinum.  There is nothing we need to do about it, he said. His suggestion was to get a copy of the window sticker to show that it is indeed a Platinum model.

I have sent a request on a form provided by Carfax itself, to get the model designation corrected. As of the time of this post, I have not received a response yet.

On the title work provided by the dealer, the car was listed as a gas model and not a PHEV. FWIW, the county clerk had to reissue a second title showing it was a Hybrid plug-in vehicle as they said this would show up on our state registration paperwork and may allow for some breaks in the use of our vehicle (I.E. using certain car pool lanes for example) Our car is listed simply as a 2017 Ford Fusion with fuel as 'Z' which stands for plug in Hybrid. No trim level shown. We are OK with that, at least it isn't listed as a Titanium by the state.

We are asking for help with this matter in this forum. Has anyone here that has a 2017 Platinum Energi model (available first in 2017) noticed their car was shown as a Titanium model instead? Please check and see if your insurance company (or Carfax) reports your Platinum Energi as a Titanium Energi.

Thank you very much,

Dana and Marilyn in Colorado

Edited by cortezer

• 4 weeks later...

No worries. Many places I have looked up my 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum [not an Energi] show it as a TITANIUM.  This is my statement from my insurance (SafeCo/Liberty Mutual).

VEHICLES

2017 FORD FUSION TITANIUM HEV  3FA6P0RU4HR264325 

Notice! Mine is a HYBRID .. it should [at least] say "2017 FORD FUSION HYBRID TITANIUM HEV" (but does not, like the one you are looking at).

BTW:  I would JUMP on getting a used Fusion Platinum  as soon as possible.   On the other hand...

STOP

Are you aware if you buy a new Ford Fusion Energi you may be eligible for a $4,007 IRS tax credit ??? !!!

After all your deductions on your taxes, is your "Tax" (line 44 of an IRS 1040) for 2017 going to be greater then $4,007?  This is not your withholding.  This is not a deduction.  This is $4,007 IN YOUR POCKET for buying a NEW environmentally friendly vehicle.  This $$$$ credit is for Tax Year 2017.  It would be one year from now (not in your pocket today)

You may have noticed why the leases on the Ford Fusion Energi are $100 cheaper per month than a Ford Fusion Hybrid?  Ford gets the $4,007 tax credit and applies it month by month to you.

Make sure to check out the 8.5 cubic foot trunk Fusion Energi  This is not a car for a family of four to go on an overnight road trip.

If you are buying the car with 8000 miles on it.  BUY the Ford Protect plan!  Preferable before 12,000 miles ($100 penalty for going over 12,000/12 months but less than 36,000 miles).  The rear view mirror assembly alone is $1900 plus labor. This state of the art device (with features exclusive to Fusion) includes a forward facing camera that [if equipped] will:

• Keeps you in your lane (vibrating the wheel if you cross the line, and then "pushing" you back into your lane.  (settings can be turned off or set to loq/high intensity)
  • Keeps you from running into a vehicle or pedestrian (stops the completely, but only under 25MPH)/40KPH [no other Ford will stop your car except the 2017 Fusion line ["if equipped"].  Over 25MPH the vehicle cannot stop you, nor detect pedestrians.  If a collision is imminent it will flash lights on your windshield and sound a loud tone.  If you are really in trouble for a collision it will "pre charge" the brakes so you can stop instantly if you apply the brake (you will).  This saved my car about two weeks ago on the interstate.
  • Maintains a set distance during cruise control (1, 2, 3 or 4 seconds)
  • Turns on and off your bright/dim lights
  • Controls your wipers by sensing rain, and more.

You are going to LOVE driving a Ford Fusion [whatever one] in Platinum trim.  All of the safety, tech, and luxury is amazing.  Leather over the dashboard (And tucked into every where else.)  Oh.. also get the Ford Protect LIGHTING OPTION (old "bulb option").  You would be amazed what your LED lights on that platinum cost (and are not covered under any Ford Protect plan).

Good luck.

Edited by ClaveMan

• 3 weeks later...

Just brought my new ride last week and didn't noticed anything till I saw this. Not sure what to make of it other than Carfax and such are lazy and didn't add the Platinum trim.  I did check all the paperwork including the window sticker and everything is right on that..so not sure why others aren't saying the same thing....

• 2 months later...

The Platinum is a new-for-2017 trim level. It may simply not exist in the insurer's database for them to select as an option. Having dealt with two cars being totaled in the last three years by being hit from behind, one of them being a '15 FFE Titanium, it is fairly straightforward to negotiate settlement pricing with some insurers, not so much with others, but it can be done. Just keep the window sticker handy for that discussion and you'll be just fine. In the meantime, enjoy the car! 

And as another poster said, get the FORD (NOT 3rd party) extended warranty. You can get it online at a deep discount from Flood Ford. The servicing dealer has no idea where you purchased a Ford warranty from, all he can see is that it's a legit Ford factory warranty.