Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Why hybrid and energi have the same mpg

rickke

It's also math (I think)..

If a Ford Fusion Energi driver goes 20 miles on a full charge the gas mileage is Infiniti?

If they drive 1000 miles without doing any charging I would assume it is about the same as the hybrid?

With my 110 mile round trip commute (75% highway$ in my Ford Fusion Hybrid I get 40.5 electronic MPH (37 by pencil). What would I have gotten with an Energi? (Assume a full charge at the start of the commute). I would think about 10mpg better?

Edited by ClaveMan

My 2016 FFE got 40.4 mpg on a trip from Los Angeles to Lake Havasu City, with some side trips included. Arizona has 75 mph speed limits, everyone does 80. California out side of city limits is 70 mph, everyone does 75. I was very pleased with the 875 mile, 40.4 mpg trip. I used up the 5.3 KW by managing the battery. Highway speeds on EVLater, in city, EVNow until the drive battery was depleted. No charging on this trip, all hybrid mode after the battery was depleted.

IMG_6306.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's also math (I think)..

If a Ford Fusion Energi driver goes 20 miles on a full charge the gas mileage is Infiniti?

If they drive 1000 miles without doing any charging I would assume it is about the same as the hybrid?

With my 110 mile round trip commute (75% highway$ in my Ford Fusion Hybrid I get 40.5 electronic MPH (37 by pencil). What would I have gotten with an Energi? (Assume a full charge at the start of the commute). I would think about 10mpg better?

Not sure what you're trying to convey there, but the gas mileage for an energi in hybrid mode does not include any electricity from the plug.  It is purely hybrid MPGs.  

As to why it rates the same MPG as the hybrid, murphy's reasoning is about the only thing that makes sense.  Not knowing the exact details of the official EPA test cycle, it is hard to tell if the bigger battery actually made that much of a difference, but it could have.

The weight difference is only 300 pounds which is significant, but not huge.  The rule of thumb is 1% drop for every 100 pounds, so at most it would affect MPG by 1.  Possible that the effect is less so on a hybrid.  The 100 pounds also affects lighter cars more than heavier ones, and Fusion is not that light to begin with.  It may be that it got lost in the rounding.  Hard to say.