Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2017 Fusion Energi Dead Battery Issues

prott69

Hello all,

So I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced what I'm going through?

So the care was purchased about 4 months ago and here's my story...

• 3/18/17 - Go out to leave on a Friday night for a date with the wife and battery is dead.
    • I originally tried to put a cooler in trunk and when I hit the hidden button on the underneath by the trunk area the lights blinked once.
    • Opened door and orange light on rotary gear shift knob was on, tried push to start button and key FOB. Orange light went off around that time and car was completely dead.
    • Put car on battery charger so I could get it out of the garage since you can’t put the car in neutral to roll it out because it’s dead. You also can’t get in the trunk to where the main battery is. Figured out you could charge it from under the hood.
  • 3/20/17
    • Take car into dealership. 2:45 hours later service advisor David Hoppel states the load tested the battery and it was dead, so they replaced it. No mention of a diagnostic, and nothing shows they did one on paperwork. I noticed reading up on customers with the exact same model and year, that the following items had been replaced, or updates done. A ACM (audio control module) replace, and in one instance the whole radio system replaced. An ACM software update. TCM (transmission control module) randomly illuminating tranny control dial LED. I believe this is the blue light that surrounds the rotary shifter dial. It illuminates the same color as the background lighting. 
    • One thing I noticed that the vehicle had never done since I took ownership of it was how responsive the system was with for example the door handle actuators. When you place you hand in the door handle the car doors unlock and lights flash. This was sluggish since day one, and it was noticeably different and quicker after battery change. Only difference was I was driving the vehicle with much more regularity then. 
    • When I asked about others having issues like this I was told that the dealership will go for some time with little to no battery replacements, and then over the last 6-8 months it’s gotten to where their replacing a battery at least once a day according to him. Says only two manufacturers make batteries for Ford, and they must be getting bad batches of them.
  • 3/31/17
    • 11 days later and the car has been driven 4-6 times with no issues until tonight. Again, on a Friday. I go out, decide to get something out of the car, and then it dawns on me no lights came on when I opened the door. I try all the usuals only and get nothing this time with the exception again of the orange light on the rotary shifter knob, which again is slowly blinking, and then goes out completely. (Note: like some in the “Car Complaint” forum I have noticed that shortly after I bought the vehicle I indiscriminately get a “system off to save battery power” message on the Navigation screen as I go to turn the car off. This message only displays at random times, there is no consistency. 
  • 4/3/17
    • Car will make it’s second trip in for the same issue. Problem is I start back with Walmart in a few weeks and can’t afford to have a car that won’t start with the driving distances I will have to both training and final store in South Gate, Ca..
    • wSo I go out to check the charging of the car from the battery charger, so within about 7hrs the battery is showing 100% charged and was in trickle charge mode. I disconnected everything. I then walked to the car with key FOB in hand, touched the door handle and entered the car. At that point I decided to do my own test based off what I'd read from the forum. I figured at that point, I’ll get out and take the FOB out of range of the car, which I did, then got back in the car. All the lights and accessories were lit up. About 30seconds later everything went off except the rotary shift knob, (orange indicator light and backlight LED ring remained on along with the USB port underneath in the center dash. 3-4 minutes later they go off. 5-6 minutes later for no reason the rotary shift knob only comes back on, and you can hear relays cycling under the dash/steering wheel area. The knob stays lit for about 3-4 minutes, then goes back off. Another 5-8 minutes go by and the knob lights back up, and this time you can hear the CD player cycle like it’s trying to kick out a CD/DVD. The knob remains lit for another 4-6 minutes and goes back off. At that point I gave up, It was getting late, and got out of the car. I took someone else’s advice from one of the forums and locked and alarmed the car from the FOB when I was away from the vehicle. We’ll see what the morning holds.

The "trickle charging" after the high voltage battery finishes charging is the 12 volt battery being charged.  Don't disconnect until it is done.

If you drive the car multiple times per day there should not be a problem.  If you drive it once a week it is best to put a 12 volt battery charger on it while it is parked.  The car is a computer on wheels.  Most of the microprocessors run 24/7.  IMHO a wet cell lead acid battery is the wrong battery for this car.  It should be an AGM battery but they cost about twice as much as the wet cell battery.  I put an AGM battery in my 2013, in 2013, and it is still going strong.  It is not an easy change since it involves removing the battery tray and cutting the end off of it with a hacksaw to allow the AGM battery to fit.  I could not find an AGM battery that was the same physical size as the OEM battery.

AGM - absorbed glass mat

There is no liquid that could spill in an AGM battery.

When a wet cell lead acid battery is completely discharged material flakes off of the plates and collects at the bottom of the cell.  When the pile of debris reaches the bottom of the plates it shorts out that cell and that is the end of the battery.  An AGM battery does not have this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

There is definitely something going on with the 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrids & Energi models with failing 12V battery.

I am tracking this and would love to start a "sticky" thread (this is it I suppose).
The idea is that a sticky post will hopefully stop new threads from 2017 owners from popping up continuously (of no interest to non 2017 FFH/FFE drivers).
I count seven duplicate discussions (so far on 2017 models with dead factory batteries) across the two forums.

Here are 14 instances of 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid & Energi owners with 12V battery issues.

MEMBER         | MODEL  | TRIM     | BUILT      | THREAD ID
------------------------------------------------------------------------
 jj2me          | Energi | Titanium | 06/08/2016 | N/A
 Bigsam411      | Energi | Platinum |            | 4507
 Ckmicallef     | Energi | Trim?    |            | 4744
 cremefrasier   | Energi | SE       |            | 2621
 dano99487      | Hybrid | Trim?    |            |
 heplguy        | Hybrid | Trim?    |            | 11451
 JATR4 (year?)  | Energi | Trim?    |            | 4507
 Paul Creed III | Energi | Trim?    |            | 4507
 prott69        | Energi | Platinum | 09/??/2016 | 2719, 4751
 rjrfusion      | Hybrid | Platinum |            | 11451
 rmsaunders6    | Hybrid | Trim?    |            | 11451
 stlouisgeorge  | Hybrid | Platinum | 11/22/2016 | 11451
 scherp69       | Hybrid | Trim?    |            | 15529
 thewava        | Hybrid | Trim?    |            | 11451
 vinci          | Energi | Platinum |            | 4751

Older newer models? (pre 2017)
head4trauma hybrid forum thread 15529 FFH 2016?

Please message me if you want to tell me to take your name (from a public post) down.
Also looking for info on build date. Where is that build date? (see this for now).

Please, please tell me your trim in a private message if your 2017 has 12V battery issues.
I have a theory these issue are specific to certain option/trim levels on 2017 models.. I will update this post as new data comes in. I will cross post to the Hybrid side.

Please do not report issues with HVB or models prior to 2017 here.
We are looking exclusively at defective 12V Ford Fusion batteries installed in Hermasillo here.

I had my battery replaced by a Ford EV Certified technician on 04/08/2017.
(!) Make sure your EV tech performs the BMS module procedure after installing a new battery.

This is a cross post with the Ford Fusion Hybrid forum I will sync up as needed.
(not seeing this issue on non Hybrid, non Energi Fusions -- yet).

Edited by ClaveMan

I think that your best bet might be to create a google sheets with the information and click on share link (view only).  Then just share the link in your post. 

You can also add additional editors by email to help you keep the table up to date. 

Another option would be to take a screen capture and post the image, but that would be more of a pain to maintain. 

p.s. I would love to format this information as a table. Does anyone know how to make an HTML table in forum?

The BBCode doesn't seem to support it or it is disabled. I would love to present data in table form.

• 3 weeks later...

There is definitely something going on with the 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrids & Energi models with failing 12V battery.

I am tracking this and would love to start a "sticky" thread (this is it I suppose).

The idea is that a sticky post will hopefully stop new threads from 2017 owners from popping up continuously (of no interest to non 2017 FFH/FFE drivers).

I count seven duplicate discussions (so far on 2017 models with dead factory batteries) across the two forums.

Here are 13 instances of 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid & Energi owners with 12V battery issues.

prott69        | Energi | Trim?    |            | 4751
 prott69        | Energi | Trim?    |            | 2719

Please message me if you want to tell me to take your name (from a public post) down.

Also looking for info on build date. Where is that build date? (see this for now).

Please, please tell me your trim in a private message if your 2017 has 12V battery issues. I won't share.

I have a theory these issue are specific to certain option/trim levels on 2017 models.. I will update this post as new data comes in. This is a stub. I will cross post to the Hybrid side.

We are looking exclusively at defective 12V Ford Fusion batteries installed in Hermasillo here.

I would love to get the Trim for each one of these. I see the SE as an outlier. Other known ones are Platinum.

Could it be one of the high tech options doing this? Hmm..

(!) Make sure your EV tech performs the BMS module procedure after installing a new battery.

p.s. I would love to format this information as a table. Does anyone know how to make an HTML table in forum?

The BBCode doesn't seem to support it or it is disabled. I would love to present data in table form.

This is a cross post with the Ford Fusion Hybrid forum I will sync up as needed.

Hey, 

My car built 9/2016. I didn't look up the where, but when I was in my dealer they looked it up and said Mexico, so I'm assuming Hermasillo. It's a Platinum level trim.

The first digit of the VIN specifies where it was built.

1 - USA

2 - Canada

3 - Mexico

The 11th character specifies the assembly plant.

B Oakville: Oakville, Ontario
D Ohio Assembly: Avon Lake, Ohio
E Kentucky Truck: Louisville, Kentucky
F Dearborn: Dearborn, Michigan
G Chicago: Chicago, Illinois
K Kansas City: Claycomo, Missouri
L Michigan Assembly: Wayne, Michigan
M Cuautitlan: Cuautitlan, Mexico
R Hermosillo: Hermosillo, Mexico
V Blue Diamond Truck: Escobedo, Mexico
0 Detroit Empowerment Zone: Detroit, Michigan*
5 Flat Rock Assembly Plant (AAI): Flat Rock, Michigan
T Otosan Kocaeli Assembly: Kocaeli, Turkey
U Louisville Assembly Plant: Louisville, Kentucky

• 5 months later...

I got Ford Fusion Energi SE 2017 built in Hermissillo Mexico,

I am in Canada, and i had my dead battery randomly after not charging my car for a few days. had to get car jumped, battery seems to be working fine since that happened. All i needed was a boost it did not need a new battery i even took it to ford after it happened and they said it was something to do with the GPS telecommunications control unit i believe its called was draining the battery. 

I know there are possible battery upgrades i have read about but they could void the warranty.

• 1 month later...

I had Ford do a reprogram of the car. A fix from the Ford engineers. After 3 weeks my battery was dead again. So they replaced the battery. I think it was a combination of the 2. Too much power drained whike off (new program supposedly load shreds that), and a defected battery. Let's do how long it lasts..

• 2 months later...

Here are 13 instances of 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid & Energi owners with 12V battery issues.

jj2me          | Energi | Titanium | 06/08/2016 | N/A
 dano99487      | Hybrid | Trim?    |            |
 prott69        | Energi | Platinum | 09/??/2016 | 2719, 4751

Please, please tell me your trim in a private message if your 2017 has 12V battery issues.

I have a theory these issue are specific to certain option/trim levels on 2017 models.. I will update this post as new data comes in. I will cross post to the Hybrid side.

Add me to your list. '17 Platinum, every option box checked, built in Mexico. Will likely have to have the car towed in the AM if I can't figure out how to get into it. It was locked and outside when it died. 

Open up your key fob and remove the metal key.

Pop the cap off of the driver's door handle.

Insert key and unlock driver's door.

Release the hood.

Get your Owner's Manual out of the glove box.

Connect a battery charger or jumper battery to the terminals under the hood.  The Manual will show you where they are.

Start the car.

Add me to your list. '17 Platinum, every option box checked, built in Mexico. Will likely have to have the car towed in the AM if I can't figure out how to get into it. It was locked and outside when it died. 

Vinci, Sorry to hear about your situation. I added your information to our list.

I got out of the situation by having a procedure performed at my Ford dealer.  I'll post some information after I look it up. 

I used to find my Fusion hybrid "dead" all the time.  I had to jump my car often. 

Then, after the procedure (a service bulletin) was performed the problem went away. 

The procedure was not done properly the first time.  I needed a Ford mechanic with EV certification to get it fixed. 

The first step is getting the Hermasillo battery replaced.

I have also developed a 100% effective strategy to never be locked out, and never, not be able to start a Fusion with a dead 12V battery.  I'll post more later.

Edited by ClaveMan

The service records for my CPO '17 Energi show that the car was brought to the dealer once for a dead 12V battery, and the Telematics Control Unit was updated with new software as a fix. Previous owner was a corporation - likely Ford itself using the car for executive fleet duty, since I bought the car at a dealership not far from the Ford HQ.

I've had the car as my daily driver since November 10 2017 and the battery hasn't died once. This includes a two-week period in the second half of December where the car sat in my garage during a frigid Michigan winter, without any battery charger being hooked up.

The service records for my CPO '17 Energi show that the car was brought to the dealer once for a dead 12V battery, and the Telematics Control Unit was updated with new software as a fix. Previous owner was a corporation - likely Ford itself using the car for executive fleet duty, since I bought the car at a dealership not far from the Ford HQ.

I've had the car as my daily driver since November 10 2017 and the battery hasn't died once. This includes a two-week period in the second half of December where the car sat in my garage during a frigid Michigan winter, without any battery charger being hooked up.

My car had the same problem and the TCU update fixed it.  There was a programming problem with it which caused it to drain the 12v battery faster than the system could trickle charge it on the 110v charger.  I'm not sure if a 240v charger would have had the same results as I don't have one.

My local Ford dealer had my car for several months trying to identify the problem and Ford eventually sent a technician out to find the problem.

Car was built in Hermosillo, Mexico.

Edited by Xilraazz

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I've left my car in the garage for 2 weeks during extreme Michigan cold while on vacation and it still starts. My car received all the possible software updates before I bought it (used) and thus far battery drain hasn't been a problem. To be safe, I make sure to take a relatively long drive (20 min or more) when I first start the car after leaving it for a while. 

I have a 2013 since new.  I'm still on my original 12v battery.  Back in 2015 when I took the car in for routine maintenance, I made them hook the car up to their computer system and download all calibration updates.  The car apparently has 10 modules.  ALL 10 had new software.  It took them several hours for the upgrades, but I have had no dead battery issues (and I have seen the car re-engage my EVSE to top off a weakening 12v).  Many other early bugs were resolved too (no AC light when the compressor was engaged while in auto mode), no randomizing of the ambient lighting, etc.

The only reoccurring problem I have is with the remote start bricking the HVAC system.  I've had the FCIM reprogrammed a couple times as well as replaced.  Issues go away and about 6 months later, they come back, and always during a remote start event.  Currently, my front seats do not warm up during a remote start, and yes, that is a thing the car did until the HVAC flipped out on me earlier this year.

Car's been in for the transmission RTV sealant failing (leaking), HVAC multiple times (I think I'm up to 3 or 4)... but aside from those things, it's been relatively trouble-free.  It'll go in for service in May for the first coolant flush and fill... I wonder how expensive that's going to be since they not only do the ICE, but they have to do the inverter system too.

But I'm tired of farting around with the HVAC.  Car has a little over 36k on it and I only get about 4.2kw out of the battery... I can get about 20 miles with no HVAC use and 70 degree weather at 40MPH.  It is still very fuel efficient and we still get a lot of miles out of a tank of fuel... and even though Tesla has its own reliability concerns (most seem to be fluff - squeaks, rattles, etc), that is what will likely be my next ride.  But then again, I'll have to see where Rivian goes... that new pick up truck of theirs is NICE.

• 2 weeks later...

Just reviewing this thread - I have a 2017 manufactured in Hermosillo Mexico - every issue here is what I’m suffering from. Battery saving mode popping on the screen (after an all night charge) , dead key fob battery (replaced) , sync radio took update and the radio button and audio on the car completely stopped working, car Is sluggish to start and has a hard time responding when turned on.

Took the car to ford they told me the battery was fine and documented it tested fine - they also told me that the stereo took the full update and they didn’t know what was wrong with it -but that my stereo was out of warranty (56,000) took to another shop the 12v is only showing it was fine but was throwing communication codes as well as 4 other pages of U codes. Replaced relay in radio module and appeared to resolve all issues.

2 days later- woke up after a full nights charge - check engine light on, radio buttons on the steering wheel no longer work, throwing up a message when trying to start the car that it’s ahutting down and preserving the battery. Took the car back to the shop that replaced the relay battery now saying 7.1 - 7.4v. - it’s throwing additional communication codes for several modules and 4 pages of other codes. It appears that it’s related to the trickle charge from the hybrid battery to the 12v.

Removing the 12v and going to update the TCU. If this works then yea! If not this car is getting traded in this weekend.

Either way - ford will be getting all copies of the code scans in a very strongly worded email- clearly there is an issue with this car and they are neglecting to address it through TSBs or a recall on the battery in question.

More to come

Update: removed battery and installed new interstate battery. Found a TSB for TCU under all bulletins in Alldata, we were searching for charging issues and the bulletin was listed under “all” bulletins not specific to charging or battery issues. The patch has been out there since April 2017 and as noted in the bulletin this is a no charge fix for folks with our issues. Doesn’t matter your mileage. Ford knows this is an issue and there is a solution!!! Replacing the defective battery is step one - flashing the car is step 2

Shame on the ford dealership for telling me all tsbs were up to date in my car... they clearly weren’t.

My car has never been so responsive- I will report back if this changes- message me

If you want more details !

• 4 months later...

Hey everyone, just joined the forum after finding this post on Google. I purchased a 2017 CPO Fusion Energi Titanium with 9000 miles on it. It's from the Hermasillo, MX plant. After only a month of owning it I started running into issues. I drove it 500 miles over a weekend trip, then on the following Monday I went into work. I came out after an 8 hour work day and the car was completely dead - even my co-worker's attempts at jumping the car with his Camry didn't work. Had to have roadside assistance come and attach the jumper box for it to start. I made an appointment with the dealership's service and it died one more time in my garage before I could get it to them, after the 2nd time, the check engine light came on.

They tested the 12V battery and said it was fine. Then performed a software update and claimed that would take care of the problem.

About a week later I went to a movie, after I returned to the car from the theater it was dead again. Keyless wouldn't work, no dome lights, but the Gear Shift dial appeared to be stuck lit up.

Took it back to the dealer. They now ordered a new "module" and it's been with them for a few days now. Does anyone know if this module replacement will actually take care of the problem? I'm feeling a little wary of buying a CPO with so low of miles with such serious problems already.

Three possibilities come to mind.

The DC to DC converter has failed so the 12 volt battery is not being charged.  The car does not have an alternator.

Something that is supposed to turn off when the car is off is staying on and draining the battery.

The 12 volt battery needs to be replaced.  A 12 volt wet cell lead acid battery that has been completely discharged has internal damage caused by material flaking off of the plates.