Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Resetting MPG -- I think I screwed it up

showboat

Hello,

I have a 2017 Titanium Fusion Energi. Recently I filled up with a new tank of gas and wanted to reset the instantaneous MPG (shown in the Empower and Engage displays). I found where to reset and did so, but now the MPG continuously shows 999.9 MPG, even after all battery power has been used and Hybrid/gas has kicked in. What did I do wrong? Or should I do something else to get it to start "calculating" again?

Thanks,

David

If you drive 21 miles in EV only you are dividing 21 by 0 which is infinity.  In your car infinity is 999.9.  If you drive 20 more miles and use 0.5 gallon of gas you now have 41 / 0.5 = 82 mpg.  My point is that until you put a significant number of miles on the car, using the ICE only, the calculation will be meaningless.  The general statement is that you need several tanks of gas in the calculation before  it  converges on a useful value.

My 2013 is set to report MPGe which takes the electric vs gas into account.  It is my understanding that from 2014 on they deleted the MPGe capability.