Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Blackstone Oil Analysis Question

spudman99

Just got back my Oil Analysis from Blackstone. First oil change on my 2014 Energi, 4500 ICE miles, 12k electric miles, almost 2 year old oil was changed.  I added synthetic and changed it my self with no problems.  Results from Blackstone were clean except for the following:

"Our one concern here is with fuel dilution.  Up to 2.0% can be from operational factors, but 6.0% is high enough to suggest a possible fuel system problem.  We also think fuel thinned the viscosity since this reading is below the 0W/20 range.  A leaky injector can add fuel to the oil.  Watch for a rising fuel oil level on the dipstick as a sign of trouble."

Any thoughts, comments or concerns.  I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to this detailed analysis.  In otherwords I do not know if I should have the dealer look at the injectors, add a fuel supplement, or just watch and wait?

How can a leaky injector add fuel to the oil?  The injector puts gas in the cylinder, you mean its unburned and blows by through your bad rings which are supposed to keep the fuel topside?

I'm not sure I would worry about it that much.  However, might not be a bad idea to use 5w20 instead of 0w20 in case it thins a little bit you'd still be in spec.  Ford used to recommend 5w-20 on the 2013 models, I think they switched to 0w-20 to eeek out a little bit more gas mileage.

-=>Raja.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I change the oil on my cars twice a year whether or not I hit the interval. Before it gets cold, and after it warms up in the spring. If you did it twice a year, the dilution probably would never be an issue. As far as another test, it's up to you. If you do a lot of EV miles and not a lot of ICE miles, dilution will always be a bigger factor for you.