Ford Fusion Energi Forum

MFT Black Screen of Death

Timewellspent

I have a 2015 FFE that is out of warranty that now has the MFT screen doing multiple reboots before it just goes to the black screen of death.  This leaves me without radio, seat heaters or steering wheel heat.  I see this was a common issue with previous years and Ford extended the warranty on the APIM with Customer Satisfaction Program 12M02.  Of course this doesn't cover my vehicle year when I asked my dealer about it.  I was told this car does not have the old style apim computer so it does not have extension. You more then likely need a software update.

My question is even if my car doesn't have this old style APIM it is doing the exact same thing that the old APIM did per this thread : http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topic/7181-sync-keeps-rebooting-and-then-screen-goes-black/  Do you think a software update would fix this since the old APIM needed to be replaced when people had this same issue?  I don't want to pay for a software update that isn't going to fix the problem.

-DK

• 1 month later...

I have Energi 2015 and have the exact same problem. I took mine to dealer to push the 3.8 update (I have 3.7) and they said the APIM is shot and cant be updated. Almost $1000 to replace at dealer. This happened about a month ago & im wondering if eventually there will be enough reported that they will relook at an extended warranty on this one too.

• 3 weeks later...

$1000 to replace the APIM? Might as well buy an OBDLink MX programming tool and search junk yards and Ebay for Sync3 APIMs+screens. You'll still be ahead while having a much more modern car with Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

I spent about $750 per car to upgrade my '15 Escape and the '13 Fusion Hybrid I traded for my Energi, to Sync3 with navigation including GPS antennas and fast-charging USB hubs. Go to the 2gfusions forum and speak to DanMc85 for advice on reprogramming the Sync3 kits to properly work with your car. All you need is the OBDLink tool and a laptop running Windows with built-in Bluetooth (or a Bluetooth adapter).

• 4 weeks later...

Make sure you call Ford and mention Customer Satisfaction Program 12M02 and let them know you know of others having this same issues on the 2015 and say this program should be extend to cover the 2015 since it is the same exact problem.  If enough of us point this out maybe they will actually add our year.

Just adding another data point :(

I experienced the black screen of death. Dealer said they can try to reflash and update. Got the call that the APIM needs to get replaced on my 2015.

Not sure I want to pay ~$1100 but don’t know what else to do.

$1100 can buy you a Sync3 upgrade and still leave you at least $300 to spend on other things :)

PM me if you want to go that route - it'll feel like driving a whole new car haha.

Additionally you can probably find a MFT APIM (without screen) for less than $200 on Ebay, and reprogram it in Forscan (heck reprogramming may not even be necessary if the donor vehicle is a similarly equipped Fusion), if you're too cheap to go for Sync3 but want to do an APIM replacement. The "programming" is much simpler than it sounds and isn't actually "coding".

Edited by 4cylinder

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I called Ford and complained, but it went no where.  Had to replace the APIM, but the dealer stepped up and paid a portion of the cost as goodwill.  They said if Ford ends up including our year, they would reimburse me the fee I paid.  How many miles do you have on yours?

Mine is a 2016 - with 40K and it went out - dealer is wants $1400 to replace - having a hard time with a 2yr old car - 

Mine is a 2016 - with 40K and it went out - dealer is wants $1400 to replace - having a hard time with a 2yr old car - 

PM me if you want a tutorial on how to do a DIY replacement. It's very easy to reprogram replacement parts. 

If you want to stick with MyFord Touch it will set you back about $200 or so - less if you only need to do the APIM and not the screen. Reprogramming is basically no work in this case because you just copy and paste your as-built data over.

If you want to upgrade to Sync3 it will be a bit more expensive, about $700+ (screen + APIM), but well worth it. Reprogramming is little more complex as you can't just reuse as-built data but I know people who can help.

Edited by 4cylinder

• 1 month later...

This recently happened to me also. I paid the dealer $1,000 to get it fixed and then discovered I could upgrade the system to Sync for less.

Here is what I did. http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=3881

On the other hand if you want to stay with Sync 2 I have an APIM for you.

Edited by Woody16

This recently happened to me also. I paid the dealer $1,000 to get it fixed and then discovered I could upgrade the system to Sync for less.

Here is what I did. http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=3881

On the other hand if you want to stay with Sync 2 I have an APIM for you.

Great work! I did this to my old 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE and my 2015 Escape Titanium.

That's exactly why, for the first time ever, I bought the extended warranty.  6 years, 100,000 miles for.... $1400.

My wife's 2013 has just joined the 'black screen of death' club, have had the car over 5 years and 65k miles with very few trips to the dealer. Until now we were well below the break-even point on buying the ESP coverage to 100k miles, but from posts like the above looks like I will soon cross over into the "sure glad I bought the ESP" category.

My wife's 2013 has just joined the 'black screen of death' club, have had the car over 5 years and 65k miles with very few trips to the dealer. Until now we were well below the break-even point on buying the ESP coverage to 100k miles, but from posts like the above looks like I will soon cross over into the "sure glad I bought the ESP" category.

Check your my Ford account.  My 2013 shows the following.

• FSA Title: SYNC WITH MYFORD MYLINCOLN TOUCH WARRANTY EXTENSION COVERING ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE APIM
  • Field Service Action Number: 12M02

It doesn't say how long the warranty has been extended.  My car is over 5 years old and it is still there.

Check your my Ford account.  My 2013 shows the following.

• FSA Title: SYNC WITH MYFORD MYLINCOLN TOUCH WARRANTY EXTENSION COVERING ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE APIM
  • Field Service Action Number: 12M02

It doesn't say how long the warranty has been extended.  My car is over 5 years old and it is still there.

Yeah I wondered about that, remembered it was extended to 5 years... but I guess that ship has sailed as it doesn't show on my fordowner.com account and doesn't show in ETIS either.  Oh well, it's a $100 deductible and this will only be the second time I've used the ESP coverage (first was for engine mount about 4 months ago).

Edited by jeff_h

I've also joined the Black Screen of Death club.   The dealer will be replacing the APIM under the extended warranty I purchased with the car.   Did anyone who had theirs replaced have trouble getting the work done?   

I'm over a month in to the process now with no end in sight.

3 days at the dealer to get the new parts ordered

3 1/2 weeks waiting for parts

5 days at the dealer (so far ) because some information is wrong on a ford server.

Just got the call that it will be up to 5 more business days for ford to correct the information on their server.

It seems like the dealer or Ford don't know what they're doing.  

I've also joined the Black Screen of Death club.   The dealer will be replacing the APIM under the extended warranty I purchased with the car.   Did anyone who had theirs replaced have trouble getting the work done?   

I'm over a month in to the process now with no end in sight.

3 days at the dealer to get the new parts ordered

3 1/2 weeks waiting for parts

5 days at the dealer (so far ) because some information is wrong on a ford server.

Just got the call that it will be up to 5 more business days for ford to correct the information on their server.

It seems like the dealer or Ford don't know what they're doing.  

Honestly, given how cheap replacement APIMs are, I'd just DIY even if it's supposed to be free under the extended warranty.

Or better yet, get a Sync3 APIM+screen and reprogram it :P

PM me if you want any further info.

Edited by 4cylinder

• 1 month later...

Just experienced the APIM death last week while my 2016 energi was actually at the dealership for an oil change, thankfully my car's 20k mi meant I'm still under basic warranty, but just thought I'd add another incident to the growing list. Will definitely look at a sync3 update if this happens again.

I brought my wife's 2013 to the dealer in June (tomorrow will be 5 weeks, which was the time for new APIM to arrive for a PP's case) and they confirmed the diagnosis and ordered and part and gave me back the car, and currently waiting on the part.  The funny thing is that after 3 weeks of the APIM being inop it started working again and all appears to be fine.  When the part comes in I will take it back for the APIM replacement as I don't have much confidence that the current working condition will continue long-term, but it certainly makes the longer waiting period no big deal.