Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Ford Kiboshes the Fusion’s Redesign: Report

jj2me

FTA:

"[...] Ford has cancelled the CD542N program, which would have created a redesigned 2020 Fusion."

"[...] CEO Jim Hackett cryptically implied the Fusion had no future. Advances in fuel-saving technology, he said, were stripping passenger cars of their sole reason for existence. It’s well known that Hackett wants to cull models from Ford’s lineup."

"Another source told The Detroit News that the company plans to keep the current model around for three or four more years."

"In response to the latest report, Ford spokesman Mike Levine told The Detroit News, “Fusion remains an important part of the Ford lineup for years to come with even more new fresh features on the way. We will have more news to share in the future.”"

Good news in a way, we've got several more years where we won't be driving "the old model."  Then we'll be driving the orphaned model.

• 2 weeks later...

Over 200K in sales per year isn't good enough for business?  Granted it was 300K in 2014, but still...

I can see why they killed the C-Max, as they never sold above 30K in a single year.

I think this is largely related to gas prices.  In 2014 gas was through the roof and sedans were preferred over SUVs.  I guess Ford is betting on low oil prices long into the future.  With everyone else embracing EVs they're probably correct, but taking that to it's logical conclusion means Ford will be the only ones with ICEs in 2040 when most countries have outlawed them.

Over 200K in sales per year isn't good enough for business?  Granted it was 300K in 2014, but still...

I can see why they killed the C-Max, as they never sold above 30K in a single year.

I think this is largely related to gas prices.  In 2014 gas was through the roof and sedans were preferred over SUVs.  I guess Ford is betting on low oil prices long into the future.  With everyone else embracing EVs they're probably correct, but taking that to it's logical conclusion means Ford will be the only ones with ICEs in 2040 when most countries have outlawed them.

They're definitely correct about low oil prices. The oil glut is so big that even low-cost Middle East producers are feeling the pain. Canada is letting much of its bitumen crude just sit in the ground because prices are too low to justify the cost of extraction. American shale is getting cheaper with technological advances but low prices also prevent the US from tapping to its fullest potential.

And with American gas taxes being the lowest in the Western world, there is no way we would see the gas price spike of 2014 for a long, long time.

Shame that it's driving consumers away from sedans though. I can understand the advantages of SUVs but for automotive enthusiasts like myself, SUVs are something I'd rather rent than own.