Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Snow cables question

dpswbab

I have a 2017 Fusion Energi that will sometimes be in the mountains during the winter. I called my dealer and the guy there said that snow cables should be OK, although chains will not have sufficient clearance. I bought a set of SCC Sz-399 cables and just mounted one to check the clearance. It appears to be touching what I think is the shock housing, so this won't work. For those of you who live in snow country, particularly the mountains, what have you found to work with this car's very small wheel clearance? Thanks.

Back in the day Saturn used a product called "Spikes Spider" that attached to the outside lug nuts of the wheel only and reached over the running surface of the tires.  There was nothing on the inside of the tire to rub on the shock tower.  Looks like they're still around: http://spikes-spiderusa.com/ maybe that will work for you.

Thanks for that info. The spiderspikes look wonderful for heavy snow areas, but they're too expensive for my occasional needs. By using different search criteria on google, I found several varieties of snow sox that look like they will suffice. It's amazing to me that the auto manufacturers provide so little clearance on many of their vehicles.