Ford Fusion Energi Forum

New (Used) Ford Fusion - Weird "Settings" Puzzle

genemrozenberg

Hello everyone!

I have joined this forum in hope that I can have some light shed to the following mystery.

Last week, I have purchased a used 2016 Ford Fusion Energi Hybrid SE with some extra luxury features thrown in. Overall, I love the car. On inspection of the vehicle, I noticed that in the left side of the instrument panel, in the Settings > Vehicle, I have a full set of "Remote Start" options, including windows, locks and climate settings. However, the keyfob which came with the car doesn't have a Remote Start button. After some research, I have noticed that the "Remote Start" options will not be exposed in the instrument panel's "Settings" menu unless the car has this option installed. At the same time, the features list for the vehicle shows "Less Remote Start" (or something like that). 

So my question is this: is this possible that this information is incorrect and that my car does have a "Remote Start" feature but the used car dealer somehow replaced the original keyfob with a cheaper one (perhaps because the original was broken or lost)? Howe can I for sure check if my car has this feature?

Thank you in advance for all your help and time!

Hello everyone!

I have joined this forum in hope that I can have some light shed to the following mystery.

Last week, I have purchased a used 2016 Ford Fusion Energi Hybrid SE with some extra luxury features thrown in. Overall, I love the car. On inspection of the vehicle, I noticed that in the left side of the instrument panel, in the Settings > Vehicle, I have a full set of "Remote Start" options, including windows, locks and climate settings. However, the keyfob which came with the car doesn't have a Remote Start button. After some research, I have noticed that the "Remote Start" options will not be exposed in the instrument panel's "Settings" menu unless the car has this option installed. At the same time, the features list for the vehicle shows "Less Remote Start" (or something like that). 

So my question is this: is this possible that this information is incorrect and that my car does have a "Remote Start" feature but the used car dealer somehow replaced the original keyfob with a cheaper one (perhaps because the original was broken or lost)? Howe can I for sure check if my car has this feature?

Thank you in advance for all your help and time!

Does the car have pushbutton start?

There are many things that will prevent remote start.  The most likely is a low 12 volt battery.

Do you have the Owner's Manual?  It can be downloaded from your account at

https://owner.ford.com

If you don't have an account you can create one there using your VIN.

The Owner's Manual describes all of the requirements for remote start and how to use it.

You should have received two key fobs with the car.  If you didn't there is another one somewhere in the world that can access your car.

Take the car to a Ford dealer and have them clear the key fob memory and then add your key back to the car.

I was given a basic remote without the circular button, which adds to my confusion. I have the settings for remote start exposed in the dashboard LCD "Settings" menu but no way to do it via the keyfob as I have the basic one. The car doesn't have a "push to start" button (which is a damn shame, I like the button :) ).

Best thing to do would be to do one of those "window sticker lookups" by VIN.  See what info you get on features and packages.  Then you could determine once and for all if it is something you should have.  Maybe the dealership just gave you some generic FOB programmed for your car.

I don't have one of those lookup links handy but maybe someone else can find one and post it.

Depends on if he has pushbutton start, or if he has a key that he has to put in the ignition to start the car.  If he has a smart remote, the remote has a remote start button on it.  If it doesn't and is a regular key, that does NOT have a remote start button on it, according to the 2016 manual.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that he cannot remote start it from the MyFord Mobile app or website.  It may simply not be available on the keyfob.