Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Bunch of electronic problems on 2017 Energi

zuikiz

After ~7000 miles trouble free, I started having all kinds of electronic faults over last week. 

Started with ext temp sensor getting stuck at 50 degrees. Then I got CEL lit up on the third day after the ext temp sensor would get stuck.

Now I have BLIS & Cross Traffic Fault notices coming up every 2-3 mins of driving, plus weird notice about "Memory recall not available while driving" (even though it is not touched). Moreover, central console (HVAC) controls are going out and seem to restart in couple of seconds.

We are worried of what is going on and whether it is safe to drive the vehicle.

Attempting to schedule service appointment with the dealer.

Has anyone had any similar experience?

Thanks.

Most annoying that the faults are intermittent. After another two days of driving, they persist through some trips, but go away on others. They clearly connected somehow, since they appear together.

Most dangerous is the going out of the central console. Yesterday it was raining and my windshield was fogging up, but I was unable to blow it off, since I was unable to operate central console for up to 5 min at a time :(

Waiting for the dealer appointment next week. 

Here are a couple of threads on the 50 degree symptom, but only that symptom.  Since yours accompanies other symptoms, probably getting it to the dealer was the best move.

http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/3822-outside-temperature-shows-50-degrees/

http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/4823-ac-blowing-hot-air-unless-temp-set-to-lo/

Now I have BLIS & Cross Traffic Fault notices coming up every 2-3 mins of driving

I've had this problem for almost the entire time I've had my 2015 Fusion Energi Titanium. Can't reproduce it reliably or figure out what causes it, so the technicians at the dealership have never seen it. Looks like it wouldn't matter since Ford has obviously still not fixed all the bugs in this car even two model years later. My lease is up soon, and it will be a joy to return this car to Ford and never step foot on their lot again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally got to the dealer. Diagnostics suggests that my GEM module went bad and the equipment in the car is not communicating properly. Waiting for the new module to be installed next week (we are in a rural area and the dealer had to order it from Ford). Will see how it does.

An update on this. My car has been at the dealer for three weeks and it is still not fixed. The dealer replaced GEM module, but it has not fixed anything. The dealer says on record that the car is "not safe to drive, as it can stall at any time". They say they replicated the problem, send some data to Detroit, then Ford asked them for some additional data, and this back and forth goes on for two weeks.

Very frustrating experience :(

Edited by zuikiz

• 2 weeks later...

After a second attempt and after I almost started a search for an attorney my vehicle is fixed. Big thanks to Bozeman Ford. The guys have really shown effort and creativity. 

The whole mess was caused by the driver's seat harness. I am not making this up. 

It rubbed on the track to the point that insulation got damaged and it would intermittently short when a bit of extra pressure was applied, such as g forces during a turn or myself moving in a driver's seat. No wonder the thing was really tough to identify.

I have pics of the thing and I have talked with the guy who eventually identified the issue both before and after. I have a basic degree in electrical engineering and pretty good understanding of the networks, and the guy has impressed me.

I believe it is major design blunder by Ford that the seat harness short would cause a cascade of faults in the car's major safety systems! And the insulation rubbing off at just 9k miles... Hmm...

Interesting since mine is at my dealer right now fixing a couple of things before the warranty expires.  One of those issues: the lumbar support adjustment wasn't working. 

As they troubleshot it, they blew the fuse for the seat adjustment altogether.  Digging deeper they found a short in the seat adjustment cabling that was causing the issue.  New cable is on order now.  I wonder if this is more common that initially thought?  My lumbar has been out for months with no other problems thankfully.