Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Say goodbye to all but two Ford sedans

Blastphemy

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/25/autos/ford-cars-north-america/index.html

Ford dropping all but 2 cars from its North American dealerships

Ford said on Wednesday the only passenger car models it plans to keep on the market in North America will be the Mustang and the upcoming Ford Focus Active, a crossover-like hatchback that's slated to debut in 2019. That means the Fiesta, Taurus, Fusion and the regular Focus will disappear in the United States and Canada.

Looks like my 2013 Ford Fusion Energi will be my last Ford. 

The Energi should have doubled or tripled its electric range by now. 

I don't need a truck or an SUV (pseudo truck) or a Mustang. 

My last non Ford vehicle was a 1964 Plymouth, bought new and driven by me and two of my brothers until it died at 120,000 miles.

Same here, the Energi will be my last Ford. I'm already looking at trading my 2015 Escape for a hybrid Japanese SUV like the RAV4 or Lexus NX300h. 

This is a very disappointing decision. They should at least import limited quantities from offshore plants - after all the Mondeo is already made in Spain and China including a wagon form.

It's a shame to see a company that was wise enough to navigate the downturn 10 years ago now turn around and abandon half of their market in the name of greed.  From the article:

'James Farley, the company's president of global markets, said Ford is "shifting from cars to utilities," which have been a bigger profit driver.'

I guess I won't be buying Ford products anymore.

It's a shame to see a company that was wise enough to navigate the downturn 10 years ago now turn around and abandon half of their market in the name of greed.  From the article:

'James Farley, the company's president of global markets, said Ford is "shifting from cars to utilities," which have been a bigger profit driver.'

I guess I won't be buying Ford products anymore.

To be fair they aren't fully abandoning the sedan market - they're still keeping those vehicles active in countries that haven't jumped on the SUV craze as much as North America has.

Hopefully if future economic conditions demand the reintroduction of sedans, they can simply federalize their foreign-made sedans and ship them over to fill the void. It would bring prices up (especially if imported from Europe where the labour costs are higher), so that's another challenge to figure out. 

Looks like my 2013 Ford Fusion Energi will be my last Ford. 

The Energi should have doubled or tripled its electric range by now. 

I don't need a truck or an SUV (pseudo truck) or a Mustang. 

My last non Ford vehicle was a 1964 Plymouth, bought new and driven by me and two of my brothers until it died at 120,000 miles.

My 2013 Ford Fusion Energi was also my first Ford (as well as my first American brand) car. Likely to be my last as well as I am not an SUV type individual. 

On its face this seems like a very odd move for Ford to make.  Researching sales, it seems that Fusion sales have trailed off some but they sold over 200K copies last year. I think you would compare the Fusion to the Chevy Malibu which sold just under 186K copies. Isn't it more likely for the Fusion shopper to just go buy the Chevy rather than cross shop an SUV like an Escape? Also don't see the Fusion buyer cross shopping the Mustang... which seems to sell only 82K copies in 2017 (but I suppose they need a car to compete in NASCAR and this gives them the best option to compete?). 

Still like my Fusion and plan to keep driving it. Would not have likely replaced it with another Fusion because Ford has not improved it enough to be competitive with other PHEV cars on the market, IMO. I am guessing this means that the long range EV vehicle is going to be an SUV, and again not really interested. 

I probably won't be buying anything new for a good, long time.  I'll keep my mind open for Ford's electric SUV... and/or I'll hope some 3rd party comes up with a higher capacity battery pack for the Energi when the one I currently have bites it.  But I'm NOT in the market for another gas guzzler.  Debated briefly on swapping the Expo for a Ford Transit, but on the same note, I don't drive the Expo hardly at all.  It sits in the garage collecting dust.  Thought about selling it, but it is nice to have around in the winter for the 4 wheel drive.  Of course, cars nowadays have optional AWD...

An electric pickup or all electric SUV may wind up being my next ride.  But not any time soon.

• 1 month later...

I was very disappointed with the Ford announcement.  My wife and I have been driving Ford products since 1995.  1995 Mercury Mystique, 1999 Mercury Sable, 2006 Mercury Milan, 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 2013 Ford Fusion Energi and 2016 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid.  Loved the Hybrids and especially the Energi.  That being said I recently traded in the 2010 Milan Hybrid for a 2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV.  The only reason I went to Chevrolet was because the local Ford dealer is not electric certified and doesn't sell the Fusion Energi.  I looked at the Focus Electric but felt it was too small and did not have adequate range.  When Ford made the announcement effectively killing the hybrids and the plug-in hybrids I knew I made the right decision.  Very sorry to leave Ford but I don't see a future for someone like me in their future. :(