Ford Fusion Energi Forum

220V Chargers

davonavo

Please don't take offense while I correct your terminology.

Voltage in the USA is 120/240 volts and has been for at least 100 years.  Sorry but I'm an electrical engineer and this mistake annoys me way more than it should.

The unit that is used to connect power to your car is an Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE).  The charger is built into the car.  Basically the EVSE is a contactor (relay) that negotiates with the car to set the charging current.

Any EVSE that has a J1772 connector on it will work with your car.  It's the same connector that is on the EVSE that came with the car.  I have two Leviton units in my garage.  I don't think either one of them is still available.  The maximum current the Energi can handle is 16 amps at 240 volts so unless you plan to buy a car that can use more than that in the near future there is no need to get a bigger one.  That said I bought a 16 amp unit when I got my car in 2013 and two years later I bought a 40 amp unit for a different car.  All units, no matter how big they are, can handle the Energi.  I forget how the protocol works but basically the EVSE and the car negotiate a current value that both the car and the EVSE can handle.

Go to Google and search for EVSE and you will get lots of hits.

Here is one that looks interesting but I know absolutely nothing about it.

https://amazing-e.com/

Welcome to the world of electric driving.