Ford Fusion Energi Forum

MFM and faulty modem, TCU Issue?

spudman99

Just returned from the Dealer to have my 2 recalls fixed and have them solve an inoperable modem.  MFM has not worked in my car since May 2017, I was too buzy  lazy to return it to the dealer to look at the matter.  MFM does not connect with the car and get a confirmation, the app just sits there awaiting forever. 

So tech adviser runs diagnostics and sees a Code U0198 stored in the APIM.  Suggested fix is found in SSM 47198 which is basically a reset of the modem and then reprogramming the TCU to the highest calibration.  Charged me $100 under my Extended Service Plan for the deductible.  Car is a 2014 Energi, modem replaced in January 2017.  Modem worked till May 2, 2017 when all communications with MFM stopped. 

Any thoughts?  Has this happened to anyone else, or did I get ripped off of the deductible by a limited experience tech?

Thanks in advance

They replaced the modem from 2G to 3G for free.You could make the case that they replaced it with a defective modem and the repair should be free even if you no longer had warranty coverage on the car.  That means no payment of a deductible.  My modem was replaced in late 2016 just before 2G service went away.  It is probable that the newer firmware existed when you got the modem and the dealer failed to check before it was installed.

I pleaded that case.  Service writer said that the modem replacement is now out of the original 3/36 warranty.  If they did put in a defective one (the replacement modem worked for just under 4 months) it was on me to have neglected to bring the car in sooner.  My concern is that the code pulled and the work done today are not related to the modem and may not fix the problem.  Hoping someone else may have had a similar issue.

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem - the modem stopped communicating with MFM several months ago.  I simply pulled the #10 fuse in the interior fuse box (not the one under the hood) , waited 30 minutes, and then put it back (after making sure it was not blown).   It fixed the problem.  This is the upgraded (3G) modem too.  I have a 2013 Energi.