Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Energi could be a real performer.

jsamp

Sometimes it takes a while for me to put it all together.  The power specs for the Energi are this:

Engine          141 HP

Motor power    88kW (118HP)

Combined system 188HP (195 in charge depletion mode)

I always assumed the reason it is only 195 is that the engine and motor peak at different RPMs and thus the system HP is at the optimal combination.  BUT

Then I read that the Battery max output is 35kW (47HP)  So it doesn't matter what the motor can do if the battery can't deliver it.  So now we're at

141+47 = 188HP.  They are just adding the max engine output and battery output to get the 188.  So how do they get 195?  do they allow even more than 35kW only in charge depletion mode (it would take ~40kW)?

This also means if there were a bigger battery in the Energi that could match the 88kW of the motor, it could push as much as 250HP system power.  If only Ford had put a real battery in this thing!

The 35kW figure is for the hybrid version I believe. For the Energi models it's 68kW. I have seen reviews on other hybrid cars that do mention that peak HP is different between the motor and the engine, so that probably explains the difference.

I got the 35kW number from the Ford website:

https://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/models/fusion-energi-se/?gnav=vhpnav

It lists the same number for both energi and hybrid.  That makes sense since they both list 188 HP as max in charge sustain mode.  One would think the 7.6kWh battery could do more, but maybe they are just pushing the hybrid really hard at max HP.  35kW from a 7.6kWh battery is a "C" rate of 4.6 which is pretty high.  For the 1.4kWh hybrid battery that is astronomically high at a C rate of 25!

From where did you get the 68kW number?

I may have found where the 68kW came from.  A couple of web sites in 2013 had the C-Max at 68kW instead of 88kW for "Motor/Battery output"  eg:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=33398 

They even still have that number for the 2018.  Even more confusing is that Wikipedia has 68 for the C-Max energi and 88 for the Fusion energi.  They have the same powertrain.

I have never seen that number from Ford.  I haven't been able to find any old documents from Ford to confirm.  Everything from Ford for 2017 and 2018 say 88 for the motor and 35 for the battery.

I believe you only get that "charge depletion mode" when you are still running outside of plain hybrid mode - apparently the system will allow more energy to flow from the battery for propulsion.  It is dialed back when you don't have miles on the battery anymore.

I have searched for an energy flow limit from that battery but am not finding anything.

I find it interesting that any of those specifications are nowhere to be found in my 2013 manual... not even the 7.6Kwh spec of the battery capacity itself.  Never bothered looking until now.

Oh, and I remember someone mentioning somewhere (may have been here on this forum) that the Energi could technically go significantly higher for power output, but the eCVT was the limiting factor; it is not built strongly enough to handle additional output reliably.

Edited by Russael