Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sold my 2014 yesterday

Fat Fusion

It was a good run, guys.  At the end of this year the green stickers are set to expire for HOV lane use in CA.  I was going to sell it sometime between now and then, but my brother's car broke down and it's not being easy to diagnose- no codes.  Anyway he made me an offer and drove it away yesterday.  All in all the car was great as I put 79k miles on it in 4.75 years. 

Today I'm off to the Ford dealer to look at the Focus Electric.

Thanks!  I ended up buying the Focus.  I had read about range anxiety, but now I've felt it!  My Clipper Creek HCS-40 will charge up to 32 amps but I forgot I only used a 20 amp breaker when I installed it since the Fusion was fine with that.  The Focus trips it within a few minutes.  No problem, there's the 120V cord- nope my car was dropped off by the dealer and they didn't check if it was there.  Of course it wasn't.  But I picked one up today and will replace the breaker in a day or two so I'm good.

I drove my first EV in 1997 when I was a volunteer for the Electric Vehicle program at Chico State.  I've been pretty in tune with what they offer.  But, since Ford only offers the POS (only kinda kidding...) Focus I decided to go super cheap and get that instead of a Model 3 for a couple years until it's clearer what Ford's plans are.  I have no plans to get rid of my Falcon, truck, or Shelby.

Are you going to change your user name to Fat Focus? :)

I hope the quality of the Focus has improved.  My 2008 was a piece of crap.  I think i had it in the shop about every 3 months it seemed.  The heater and the AC was garbage.  My service manager even admitted to me that the Focus was Ford's low end vehicle and you get what you pay for.  

What size wire was used with the 20 amp breaker?  Breakers are used to protect the wire, not the load.  With a continuous load of 32 amps you need at least 8 gauge wire and a 40 amp breaker.

Put in 6 gauge wire with a 50 amp breaker and a 14-50 outlet.  That is a standard circuit.  Adapters are available for whatever plug is on your Clipper Creek EVSE.

I hope the quality of the Focus has improved.  My 2008 was a piece of crap.  I think i had it in the shop about every 3 months it seemed.  The heater and the AC was garbage.  My service manager even admitted to me that the Focus was Ford's low end vehicle and you get what you pay for.  

With any luck they improved the car over the past ten years.

What size wire was used with the 20 amp breaker?  Breakers are used to protect the wire, not the load.  With a continuous load of 32 amps you need at least 8 gauge wire and a 40 amp breaker.

Put in 6 gauge wire with a 50 amp breaker and a 14-50 outlet.  That is a standard circuit.  Adapters are available for whatever plug is on your Clipper Creek EVSE.

The HCS-40 is directly wired to the breaker panel with the flying leads that came with it.  The charger is mounted right there next to it.  The Focus will draw a max of 28 amps so the 40 amp breaker should be fine.

Oh, and I did register over at myfocuselectric under Fat Focus !

My other car is an Escape Titanium and its interior is basically transplanted from the Focus. It's better than it was in the past, but feels like a clear downgrade from the Fusion's - the single screen instrument panel cluster is the biggest letdown. The leather seats for the Titanium Escape/Focus are also identical to the seats in the Fusion SE which was disappointing. The 2019 Focus looks like it'll have a much more upmarket interior though, which bodes well for the future Escape. 

Your brother inherited a good car from you. As for the Focus Electric, it's not a bad car but it wouldn't be my first choice either. Hope you like it!

Edited by 4cylinder

• 5 weeks later...

I've been eyeballing used 2017 Focus Electrics...  there have been plenty of times where I could've driven all electric using the Focus but the Fusion winds up running on gas part of the day.  Granted, I can't take the Focus EV on any kind of road trip, but its great for around town running.  Wish I had a 3 car garage too.

Considered selling my Expedition multiple times but its value is simply gone.  Stealership said they'd put it on the showroom floor without doing anything to it, but at a 1k offer, I told them to fly a kite.  Offsite enclosed vehicle storage is expensive too.

I think with the 200 miles tow membership at AAA you could get a decent road trip going haha.  The only time I drive far away from home I drive my Shelby.  I bet the used Focus Electrics are cheap considering how inexpensive they are new.

I hear you on the 3 car garage.  I can only fit my Shelby in my garage with all my other stuff.  Someday I'll build a shop.  My dad eventually put a 1500 square foot shop in his backyard.  He's also has a huge 3 car garage.  My folks just ordered a TM3 to replace their Lincoln mid sized sedan.  He would have for sure bought a Ford if they had anything resembling a competitive BEV.