Ford Fusion Energi Forum

CV joint or suspension problems in front?

mczajka

I'm taking my car in for service soon, but was wondering if anyone has had to have their suspension fixed after a rough winter of navigating potholes and rough roads. They are terrible here in Maryland, and not too long ago I drove fast over some rough pavement near a new development going in.

When I pull into my driveway (which is on a slight incline) and turn the wheel, I get a creaking sound. I watched some youtube videos of other cars, and it's possible it is one or more CV joints. Or, something related to the suspension.

Anyone experienced any problems like this. The car alignment is fine and there is no pulling to one side or anything like that. Just wondering if what I have is the start of the problem, since it doesn't happen every time I turn the wheel.

I get creaking sounds (more like squeaks) when I drive over bumps/cracks but only if the car has been sitting outside for a while in hot weather. In the cooler mornings, right after the car has sat all night in the garage, I don't hear any sound. I think they may be coming from the front wheels. Like you, I also suffered from potholed roads and had to realign my wheels 3 times this year (thanks Michigan!). I suspect something's misaligned (maybe shocks or struts) and when it expands in the heat it rubs against something else. My actual wheel alignment is fine - no pulling.

I'd simply bring this up at the next service appointment. Got to book one for my car soon... probably won't be covered under warranty...

Edited by 4cylinder