Ford Fusion Energi Forum

HVB temp?

keithsm2

I agree. I don't monitor much anymore, just in very high temps I might check battery temp using OBDII/Torque Pro. My guess is the engineers thought that there's no reason for it if they've got the software control right. In real life, it appears that software control starting at 113° F battery temp (see also earlier post #2 in that thread) is not protective enough.

Edited by jj2me

Is there a device (possibly Bluetooth to a phone) that can read battery temp and battery voltage while driving ?

Also, I put my wind gauge on the back shelf because it doesn’t feel like Air is sucking in that much when charging and it’s sucking at 1.6mph. I would think that would be low airflow to try and cool the hot batteries during charging.

Edited by jasper7821

Is there a device (possibly Bluetooth to a phone) that can read battery temp and battery voltage while driving ?

For Android:

- Torque Pro (I use this for battery temp, and from the links in this post it looks like it's possible to code in voltage.  One caveat, there is some collision upon startup if you have the ODBLink LX adapter plugged in before starting. The ODBLink LX adapter tries to discover the protoocol used, and creates havoc with the car.  Here's more info if you choose Torque Pro and the ODBLink LX to avoid this (how to find and preset the protocol so no discovery takes place).  I don't know if this same problem occurs with other OBDII dongles, or just the ODBLinkLX, butt I don't want to test this ever again.

- FORScan (never used, don't know if it gives the two things you're asking about)

- Hybrid Assistant (never used, I see battery temp on the home page picture, you'd have to investigate whether battery voltage is available, it appears so. Note, though, this from the home page: "The huge amount of information available from Hybrid Assistant, requires the use of multiple panels. All the panels can't be displayed simultaneously on the screen, and not all the info are useful all the time."  It looks like you have to tap the battery icon to see voltage.

Stand-alone (doesn't need smartphone):

- ScanGauge - never used, seems to give HVB battery temp from what I've read in forums, but don't know if battery voltage is reported for HVB or just the 12V (or maybe they let you code in parameters for HVB? I don't know).

I use an OBDLink MX and FORScan lite with an old android phone I have to view the HVB temp and voltage, current, fan speed, etc.

The fan that sucks air from the parcel shelf and dumps behind the rear seat is the one for the charger I thought. Doesn't the HVB fan pull air from behind the rear bumper and dump it out the side of the car?

To be honest I don't think charging generates that much heat. Maybe a little more when you get near the end of the charge. The current from driving/regen generates so much more.

Edited by breeves002

I use an OBDLink MX and FORScan lite

To be honest I don't think charging generates that much heat. Maybe a little more when you get near the end of the charge. The current from driving/regen generates so much more.

Anecdote: About a week ago I observed battery temp after charging. About 5 minutes after charging finished at 100%, 90° F ambient temperature, my battery temp reading was 91.4°. (Though in that 5 minutes, I opened both rear doors and the trunk to load stuff.)

Have you had any problems with the OBDLink MX when it's already plugged in before startup, like people have with Torque Pro because of protocol discovery clashing with the car's startup communications? If not, I will probably switch from Torque Pro to FORScan Lite.

Yeah I didn't think charging generates much heat in comparison to driving.

I have no issues with FORScan. I just open the app on the phone and hit connect. Then it has my dashboard saved and I just hit play and it has data from the BECM right then and there. First time connecting and setup takes a little while but its a breeze after that.

Edited by breeves002

I use an OBDLink MX and FORScan lite with an old android phone I have to view the HVB temp and voltage, current, fan speed, etc.

The fan that sucks air from the parcel shelf and dumps behind the rear seat is the one for the charger I thought. Doesn't the HVB fan pull air from behind the rear bumper and dump it out the side of the car?

My understanding is that the air duct on the rear shelf is the battery intake for when you are driving.  The car uses the (assumed) cooler air in the passenger compartment to cool the battery, assuming you are using A/C when it is hot out.  On charging it uses the exterior intake duct since the interior of a car can get way hotter when parked in the sun.  No point in running 120°F air over your battery when charging.

On my drive home yesterday it was about 104 ambient temperature. I used Auto mode to get to the highway, then EV Later mode on the highway. Auto again when I got off the highway. I was watching the power usage through the powerflow app and I noticed as I got close to home, it was using the gas engine it said - due to battery temperature. I did have the AC on to try and give it some cooler air to circulate but I guess it wasn't enough.

Maybe a small air duct from the rear AC vents to the intake on the parcel shelf would directly deliver more cool air? Wouldn't look very slick but might be good to try as an experiment.  :)

I live in Dallas and over the past couple days, I've noticed that in EV only mode, I will get a message saying 'engine enabled for system performance'. It has been very hot here with air temperatures approaching 105 degrees. Is this the message you were seeing? Once this message is displayed, the engine always runs even if I have 20 miles of charge left on the HV battery.

It also takes overnight in my garage for the battery to cool down enough for that message to go away.

I've also noticed that the climate control summary whenever you shut the car off is a long orange bar indicating poor performance even if I take a trip not running the AC. Has anyone else noticed this as well or do you think I have some sort of climate control power drain on the HV battery?

I'm thinking of taking the car in to have it checked out but if this is normal, I don't want to waste my time.

It's over 100 here and supposed to be 114-118 degrees next week. I have a temp meter in my car and when I get in after work it's anywhere from 135-145. It's so hot here in the summertime. My car started doing this and running on the engine for the last few weeks since it started getting hot. I have an appointment to take it in but I think this is how it's supposed to operate when the battery is too hot.

I'm out of the new car warranty but have the Ford Premium Care warranty but the dealer said I'd probably be wasting $165 for testing if I bring it in as the battery is probably operating as designed.

I really love when it's on battery only, just so quiet.

Edited by jasper7821

Thanks, I’ve cancelled my service appointment and just have to deal with the car running the engine when it’s this hot out.

I have a portable temp gauge in my car and yesterday whe I got in after work it was 147 degrees in my car. That’s just insane.

And they said next week the the temp is supposed to be 114-118.

I really hate the summers here.