Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Huge drop in expected range! From 610 to 484!!!!!

Benergi

I'm having an issue, again, which was corrected at the dealer the first time after a warranty repair.

My repair issue was with the automatic windows malfunctioning and ford "hot lined" a patch to correct the system program error.

This patch, which I assume contains a full and correct program update took care of the windows as well as correcting displayed range from 484 to 610. This also brought my actual driven range from 480 to 668! I was experiencing about 32mpg however and am once again.

I will add...if you're having to work hard to get 40+ mpg, there is a definite issue. The ford energi with decent driving patterns according to the driving coach should get 580-620 on fuel alone without a single charge.(period)

With everything functioning as it should be that has been my experience and with charging I push 648-672 on one full tank after 1-2 charges home/work.

With current and obvious issues apparent to me I'm getting 460-480 with no change in driving style!

PLEASE help me Ford!

Are you determining your mpg and range solely from the figures displayed? If so, you might want to isolate whether it's a display issue vs. a real performance issue by running full tank to full tank all on EV-Later and calculating mpg manually, comparing that to the displayed mpg.

I'm not in my car right now to check, but is there some setting for fuel units, like maybe that's incorrectly set to, say, imperial gallons?

Range is displayed at 484 after 13.4 gallons added to tank. Driven range according to trip tick was 454-460 next fill up @13.24 gallons.

Settings are all correct to us standards.

It just dropped for a second time from 610 to 484 overnight.

The dealer sees it as an issue but the computer shows no errors when connected. So they "dont know what to ask ford". However it didn't show any errors when the windows were malfunctioning...

What your relying on is an inaccurate way to determine your mpg and range. It has a way of doing its own math and giving you an "estimate". I cant tell you how many times i purposely pushed the car past its "miles until empty". Do this, if your on a highway with mile markers you will notice you will go way further than a mile and still have only one mile deducted from the range. Or, if your not near a highway set your left display to show trip info and the range display. You will soon learn the numbers of actual driven vs range dont match up. Your nit-picking over something very trivial.

Edited by My14Energi

Ignore what the computer says. Its a computer trying to guess your range based on different factors. The range is only guess by looking at your gas tank and average MPG while in hybird mode. If you plug in often your range will change I average 2000+ miles per tank of gas because I plug in at home and at work and usually don't take the car on long drives. Therefore I don't use much gas. However on hybrid mode it really depends how fast you drive. You can get 32mpg if you drive 80+mph on the highway. Its pretty bad when going that fast. However if you keep it under 70mph you'll see over 40mpg on the highway.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your car. Calculate your MPG manually by resetting the trip when you fill up and then the next time you fill up divide the miles driven on that tank over the gallons added to the car. You need to keep it in EV Later mode the whole time so either exhaust the battery and don't plug it in or just set to EV later every time you get into the car. See what your real MPG is then. If you have not plugged in and spent a lot of highway miles over 70mph on a tank of gas expect it to be well under 40mpg. If you're not hard on the gas pedal and do a lot of city or lower speed highway driving you can expect over 40mpg on hybrid. Adding in full charges adds a lot to your MPG. Keep in mind too that at 80mph on EV Now you won't even get 20 miles to a charge.